FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CRT monitor problem - horizontal lines

saratdear
Hi,

For the last few days my monitor has been having some problem..when I started the computer, the monitor image was at the top (like the last image in the post). I checked all the connections, and thought the problem had gone away. It reappears when I shake the monitor, or hit on the desk, the problem reappears. Here are some screenshots :

Monitor, normal image :

Monitor, pretty bad image(It is the same web page) :

Monitor, the extreme case (resolved by hitting hard on the desk) :

Any ideas what could be the problem? Is the monitor under serious trouble?

Sarat
ocalhoun
The monitor is in serious trouble!

Steps:
1: check monitor cable- make sure it is connected securely, unplug and re-plug, wiggle cord in case there is a loose wire inside it that may become re-connected.
2: change display settings- change resolution and/or refresh rate.
3: cold-restart both computer and monitor.
4: use the monitor's built-in menus to try to readjust it back the way it should be.
5: try the monitor plugged into a different computer.

If the problem persists past step 5, it's probably time for a new monitor.

6a: Beat monitor mercilessly with progressively more force until it fixes itself or dies completely... get the shotgun if needed. ^.^ (Hey, sometimes things just start working if you hit them.)
6b: Take the monitor to an old-style TV repairman.

If, after doing step 6a and/or 6b, it still doesn't work, destroy it in the way you find most entertaining, dispose of the pieces properly, and buy a new one.
(In these days of flat screens, CRT's are cheap.)
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
The monitor is in serious trouble!

Steps:
1: check monitor cable- make sure it is connected securely, unplug and re-plug, wiggle cord in case there is a loose wire inside it that may become re-connected.
2: change display settings- change resolution and/or refresh rate.
3: cold-restart both computer and monitor.
4: use the monitor's built-in menus to try to readjust it back the way it should be.
5: try the monitor plugged into a different computer.

If the problem persists past step 5, it's probably time for a new monitor.

6a: Beat monitor mercilessly with progressively more force until it fixes itself or dies completely... get the shotgun if needed. ^.^ (Hey, sometimes things just start working if you hit them.)
6b: Take the monitor to an old-style TV repairman.

If, after doing step 6a and/or 6b, it still doesn't work, destroy it in the way you find most entertaining, dispose of the pieces properly, and buy a new one.
(In these days of flat screens, CRT's are cheap.)

Uh-oh...I'll try these steps you have given, but have you got any ideas on what is happening? Any thing worth reading on the web? I've found a really detailed page on the web concerning CRT monitors - http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm - but I don't know where to look in that page.

In the meantime, has the monitor got any chance of..I don't know, imploding or something?
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

Uh-oh...I'll try these steps you have given, but have you got any ideas on what is happening? Any thing worth reading on the web? I've found a really detailed page on the web concerning CRT monitors - http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm - but I don't know where to look in that page.

In the meantime, has the monitor got any chance of..I don't know, imploding or something?

No, it won't implode... The deflection circuits are messed up would be my guess. (Maybe the synchronization circuits as well, which would give you those horizontal lines.)

If simply trying to jar it back into place doesn't work, it could be repaired by an expert... An expert who would take hours troubleshooting it, and charge more than the monitor is worth per hour. Even then, the verdict might be that it is not repairable- spare monitor parts are hard to find.
Basically, if those steps don't work, it'll be much cheaper to get a new one than to keep trying to fix the old one.

These might help a little:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/monitor7.htm

It that picture, the red and blue parts are the electron gun; the one in your monitor works fine. It shoots a beam of electrons at the screen.
The yellow/orange parts are the deflectors- these can be either electrostatic or electromagnetic. They steer the beam towards the individual pixel on the screen that is supposed to be lit up at the moment. In your monitor, they (or the circuits that control them) are messed up pretty badly.
The electron gun is turned on and off by the monitor's circuits based on what the video card of the computer tells it to do. There are also synchronization circuits, which make sure that the monitor's vertical and horizontal sweeps stay synchronized to the video card's output.
Here's a simplified version of the sweeping pattern the CRT makes:

Looking at that, you can see how getting the synchronization wrong could cause horizontal lines.

Oh yeah, and don't try to fix it yourself (by opening it up). Monitors have some very high voltage components, and what makes them especially dangerous is that some of those components can retain a deadly electrical charge even when it has been unplugged and turned off for a while. To work on a CRT, you need to know where these components are and how to discharge them safely before beginning work.
saratdear
Thanks for the help ocalhoun...I will see what I can do. Smile
Diablosblizz
Any speakers / magnets near the monitor? Something like this could cause the monitor to go messy.
mOrpheuS
Looks like signal noise (bad/loose cable or another interfering device nearby) or a noisy power supply (spark etc.)

Are those horizontal lines fixed, or do they move around ?
saratdear
Diablosblizz wrote:
Any speakers / magnets near the monitor? Something like this could cause the monitor to go messy.

Yes. The speakers are on either side of the monitor, but I kept them there only because I believe they are shielded? Perhaps they are not.

mOrpheuS wrote:
Looks like signal noise (bad/loose cable or another interfering device nearby) or a noisy power supply (spark etc.)

Are those horizontal lines fixed, or do they move around ?

The lines don't move around, they just shimmer. VERY irritating to the eyes. Sad Fortunately when the monitor goes awry, I just have to hit hard on the desk.
Fire Boar
You should probably invest in an LCD monitor (basically anything on the market right now). The display is much sharper, and LCD monitors are more compact, have better refresh rates, are better for your eyes, have no "burn-in", don't suffer from problems such as this, and are pretty reasonably priced nowadays. Your CRT monitor is obviously on its last legs if you're having to whack it to get it to work.
Diablosblizz
Well if the picture get's messed up and you hit your desk there is something wrong with the picture tube. First though, completely unplug the speakers and move them away from the monitor. If the problem is fixed then tada, no issue (restart the monitor - turn it off then on).

If not, the picture tube is defiantly going. Like Fire said, invest in a nice LCD monitor.
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:
I just have to hit hard on the desk.

In light of that, I need to make a correction of one of my earlier statements:

If you crack the CRT tube, it WILL implode. Then the pieces of glass from the other side of the tube will come flying at you... very dangerous.
Go buy a new CRT; it'll be much cheaper than the medical bills would be in that case, and besides, who wants to spend hours getting tiny (and not so tiny) shards of glass plucked out by a surgeon?
saratdear
Thanks for the suggestions Fire Boar and Diablosblizz. I'd have to get a new LCD probably, but (not wanting to sound too miserly here) not before I squeeze the last life out of what had been a good CRT monitor.

ocalhoun, are you saying that by hitting on the desk, I might somehow crack the CRT tube?
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

ocalhoun, are you saying that by hitting on the desk, I might somehow crack the CRT tube?

Oh, I thought you were bashing it against the desk...
taytay
ocalhoun wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Oh, I thought you were bashing it against the desk...

ROFL

I'd say get an LCD. It definitely sounds like last bit of 'good' life has pretty much been exhausted on this CRT. And to the comment that LCD's ahve better refresh rates.. it all depends. I had a massive CRT with 150Hz refresh. The most I can get my LCD to is 70 at max resolution. Then again the CRT was $600 when I got it, and the new LCD is still worth $120 Very Happy

With black Friday coming up (American Shopping Sale Day... Although you may not live in America. And I really haven't a clue if other countries do black Friday sales..), It's the prefect time to look at getting a new LCD Wink