FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keyboard from PS/2 to USB

ciureanuc
I try to play Call of Duty 4 but my keyboard stops the game.
I try to look after this problem on the forums and they say that the game is stopping because my keyboard is not USB.
Well, there is a way to "convert" my PS/2 to USB?
I bought and tried some kind of cheap adapter but the keyboard (USB now) is not recognised by the computer. I plugged the mouse instead - no result.
I think I bought the cheapest piece of ***t and I ask now: Do you now a REAL adapter who can help me to get an USB keyboard from PS/2 plug?

Thanks!

By the way: this stuff don't work! Don't buy this.
ocalhoun
For the money you'd have to spend to get one that you could be sure of working, you could probably just get a new keyboard cheaper.

A suitable one on Ebay
You could get this one, but if you can find a cheap and/or used one locally, you won't have to pay shipping, which for something so large and cheap, is a big portion of the cost.
Look at flea markets and garage sales. You'll be able to pick one up for under $5.00
FunDa
We are using the "USB to PS/2" adapter in your first picture, for our computer lab keyboards. It looks exactly like the one in your picture and its working fine. Don't know where they bought it from, though.

I, on the other hand, had to get the reverse "PS/2 to USB adapter" to plug in a USB keyboard into my old ancient computer with no USB port. But sadly it didn't work on that computer.

It didn't cost too much I believe. Less than Rs 100 (~ $2) from the computer peripherals store in town. (

I would suggest buying a new USB keyboard rather than looking for an adapter, though.
ocalhoun
FunDa wrote:
We are using the "USB to PS/2" adapter in your first picture, for our computer lab keyboards. It looks exactly like the one in your picture and its working fine. Don't know where they bought it from, though.

Did the adapters come with the keyboards? Manufacturers often make PS/2 keyboards and ship them with such adapters to make them work with both PS/2 and USB, but PS/2 keyboards that were not designed with that in mind may not work with such adapters.

@ciureanuc:
Where did you find a computer that doesn't have a PS/2 keyboard plug anyway? Shouldn't you just be able to plug it in as intended?
Diablosblizz
As ocalhoun suggested, buy a new keyboard. Instead of looking through adaptors spend $10 and treat yourself to a working USB keyboard. If you want to play COD4 without any keyboard lag, then go for a gaming keyboard. The Razer Lycosa costed me $90 and I think it is worth it.
babarus
i think that some usb keyboards can't work in dos.
ocalhoun
babarus wrote:
i think that some usb keyboards can't work in dos.

It depends on the motherboard, not the keyboard.
PureReborn
I have one of those adapters for my laptop and it works fine.

Its possible (but unlikely) that you plugged it into a unpowered usb port. Try all the USB ports and see if it works.

I don't know why your ps/2 keyboard would stop the COD4 game. Can you describe the problem?