FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing Computer Name

Possum
Hi

I have 3 computers in a network. They all work well.

But I wnat to change their names to better represent their position with in the network

Is this safe..

Cheers Possum..
Diablosblizz
Yes, as long as your connecting to the computer via the computers local ip address. If you're using the computer name to connect then all you will need to do is change the old computer name to the new computer name where you're connecting.

For example:

\\Computer1 would now be \\New Computer Name
HalfBloodPrince
To change the name on Vista or 7 click on the start orb, right click on Computer, click on Properties. On the left click on Advanced system settings. Now you can change the computer's name from the first tab on the left. I'm not sure about it on XP (don't have it anymore), but I don't think the steps would be all that different.
saratdear
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
To change the name on Vista or 7 click on the start orb, right click on Computer, click on Properties. On the left click on Advanced system settings. Now you can change the computer's name from the first tab on the left. I'm not sure about it on XP (don't have it anymore), but I don't think the steps would be all that different.

Not very different at all. To OP, right click My Computer, properties, and there is a tab called computer name.