FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


New Super Mario Bros. Wii





LostOverThere
So today, November 12, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released in Australia. Personally I can't wait for it. I haven't played a good 2D platformer in a very long time so I'm really looking forward to digging my teeth into this one.

IGN Australia awarded the title a 9.2/10.

I'm pumped. Smile
Magicman
This does seem like it is a good game. It gets back to the basics that made the Super Mario Brothers franchise so fun while including things that couldn't be done on the old system. The inclusion of cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes seems like it could lead to it being a very fun game.
QrafTee
Magicman wrote:
This does seem like it is a good game. It gets back to the basics that made the Super Mario Brothers franchise so fun while including things that couldn't be done on the old system. The inclusion of cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes seems like it could lead to it being a very fun game.
Yep, it's going to be fun indeed because I just know I'll have the urge to off my friends as soon as possible to get the most coins. Smile Same thing happened in LittleBigPlanet. Wink
Ankhanu
Saw a small spot on the game on EP Weekly this weekend. It's one of the few games I've seen as an upcoming that made me go "ooooh! That looks good!" It's nice to see a return to the roots for Mario.
hamza1122
is that the game where you can play 4 player mode? That's pretty fun. I love how they're bringing back Super Mario and other old classic games into new gaming systems and making them more fun Very Happy I wish i had a Wii so i can just buy all the Super Mario games.
eday2010
LostOverThere wrote:
So today, November 12, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released in Australia. Personally I can't wait for it. I haven't played a good 2D platformer in a very long time so I'm really looking forward to digging my teeth into this one.


I take it you didn't get or play A Boy and His Blob? Don't pass that one up either. It's a slower platformer, but it's a great one nonetheless.

I've played through the first world on NSMBW already Great fun. I had to get used to controlling Mario in a 2D game again. I don't know if it's the programming in the game, or because the Wii Remote is a bit small in my man hands. But after a while I got the nang of it and it was like a comfy pair of shoes.
Starrfoxx
My wife and I saw a Wal-Mart commercial that was showing off the Wii and Super Mario Bros Wii. It was neat to see a return to what made it popular, plus it was cool to see multiplayer. I'm curious if the Wii controls have special moves, or if the controls are back to basics (arrows and buttons).

Nevertheless, I'm sure the game will sell really well. Perhaps I can use my $25 Gamestop gift card towards that? Laughing
QrafTee
Starrfoxx wrote:
My wife and I saw a Wal-Mart commercial that was showing off the Wii and Super Mario Bros Wii. It was neat to see a return to what made it popular, plus it was cool to see multiplayer. I'm curious if the Wii controls have special moves, or if the controls are back to basics (arrows and buttons).

Nevertheless, I'm sure the game will sell really well. Perhaps I can use my $25 Gamestop gift card towards that? Laughing
Most of the controls are basic--you hold it sideways, but you have to use the motion controls to use the propeller hat to fly and to do the spinning attack, I think.
Auctus
I don't know if I'd ever be able to get used to using the wiimote to play classic-style Mario. I might have to buy a classic controller.

On the upside, finally, we can have some simultaneous multiplayer and not that, 'now it's Luigi's turn' stuff that we had to deal with as kids. Razz
LostOverThere
Quote:
I take it you didn't get or play A Boy and His Blob? Don't pass that one up either. It's a slower platformer, but it's a great one nonetheless.

I intended to, but then I got caught up with Metroid Prime Trilogy, and it kind of slipped. I still intend to buy it at one point in time though - the art is simply gorgeous.

Quote:
I don't know if I'd ever be able to get used to using the wiimote to play classic-style Mario. I might have to buy a classic controller.

The game doesn't support the classic controller.
eday2010
LostOverThere wrote:
Quote:
I take it you didn't get or play A Boy and His Blob? Don't pass that one up either. It's a slower platformer, but it's a great one nonetheless.

I intended to, but then I got caught up with Metroid Prime Trilogy, and it kind of slipped. I still intend to buy it at one point in time though - the art is simply gorgeous.


I would absolutely love a 2D Mario game to be done like A Boy and His Blob as far as art style. The pre-rendered stuff looks nice, but it doesn't feel as welcoming as hand drawn stuff. I'd be ecstatic with another Super Mario All-Stars type compilation of the 3 Super Mario Bros games, Super Mario World, and the two Super Mario Land games done in a beautiful hand drawn style like A Boy and His Blob.

Why Nintendo doesn't do this instead of releasing a spin-off game is beyond me.
SunD3R
Although the gameplay is in a 2d world, the graphics are 3D and i love it. And since the game introduces multiplayer, there will be endless hours of fun!
Ankhanu
eday2010 wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Quote:
I take it you didn't get or play A Boy and His Blob? Don't pass that one up either. It's a slower platformer, but it's a great one nonetheless.

I intended to, but then I got caught up with Metroid Prime Trilogy, and it kind of slipped. I still intend to buy it at one point in time though - the art is simply gorgeous.


I would absolutely love a 2D Mario game to be done like A Boy and His Blob as far as art style. The pre-rendered stuff looks nice, but it doesn't feel as welcoming as hand drawn stuff. I'd be ecstatic with another Super Mario All-Stars type compilation of the 3 Super Mario Bros games, Super Mario World, and the two Super Mario Land games done in a beautiful hand drawn style like A Boy and His Blob.

Why Nintendo doesn't do this instead of releasing a spin-off game is beyond me.


I could see most of the industry seeing a re-rerelease of Super Mario Allstars as nothing but a cash grab. Rehashing the same game over and over isn't terribly satisfying for a developer either, I would suspect... think about it, if you had the option of starting something new, building upon ideas that you created in the past versus working to do the exact same thing all over again, which would you prefer to do in your work place? There are jobs where redoing the exact same thing every day are applauded... they tend to be minimum wage jobs Razz It's much more satisfying to challenge yourself to something new once in a while. Plus, for the Wii, most of those games are currently available (though not with updated graphics) through the Wii Store. They're already making their money off of them.

That said, my wife picked up the new game, and I've played a little bit. It's a great reworking of familiar concepts with some new elements. Plenty of classic flavour. The multiplayer is a little wonky, but fun at the same time. I'm glad they put their efforts towards making this rather than a re-release.
LostOverThere
I've got it, and it's frankly, awesome. I'm honestly surprised how difficult it is, really, it's great! The gameplay is really really good, right up there with old renditions.
amperx
got a copy of this one too, and its a really fun game Very Happy just like the old days, and its challenging too Very Happy, especially with a bunch of friends around playing XD
socceraggie
My wife saw a commercial for this game and said "That looks cool! I'd play that". This was a huge shock to me considering she doesn't like to play ANY video games at all. I may have to purchase this one just so I can get her to play a game with me Smile
weableandbob
It looks good and it's been getting good reviews, so I might get it for Christmas
missdixy
I just got this recently and it's a lot of fun but a lot harder than I expected! Mad
desonium
LostOverThere wrote:
I've got it, and it's frankly, awesome. I'm honestly surprised how difficult it is, really, it's great! The gameplay is really really good, right up there with old renditions.


I have the game now for a year. Me and my brothers play it still much. I always play it with 2 or 3 players. Never on my one, because it gets bored earlyer then. When there is family we play it in the four player mode and that is so awesome. It never gets bored and I still love to see the character fly very hard when they have big damage. So I suggest everyone who has a wii, Buy Super smash brawl when you don't have it yet Cool
Ankhanu
desonium wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
I've got it, and it's frankly, awesome. I'm honestly surprised how difficult it is, really, it's great! The gameplay is really really good, right up there with old renditions.


I have the game now for a year. Me and my brothers play it still much. I always play it with 2 or 3 players. Never on my one, because it gets bored earlyer then. When there is family we play it in the four player mode and that is so awesome. It never gets bored and I still love to see the character fly very hard when they have big damage. So I suggest everyone who has a wii, Buy Super smash brawl when you don't have it yet Cool


Wrong game, dude. We're talking about New Super Mario Bros. Wii, not Smash Bros. It was released last month.

driftingfe3s
My girlfriend's brother bougth the game when it came out and beat it the day he got it (using warps) and whenever I come over her house I play a bit of it. The game has a gread old school feel to it. Reminds me a lot of Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES with a bit of the new school feel that the new super mario bros on the DS had. I feel the motion controlled moves are kinda of annoying though as it doesn't really add to the gameplay and in my opinion makes it a bit harder. Overall though I found the game to be pretty fun especially with 3 other players.
desonium
Ankhanu wrote:
desonium wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
I've got it, and it's frankly, awesome. I'm honestly surprised how difficult it is, really, it's great! The gameplay is really really good, right up there with old renditions.


I have the game now for a year. Me and my brothers play it still much. I always play it with 2 or 3 players. Never on my one, because it gets bored earlyer then. When there is family we play it in the four player mode and that is so awesome. It never gets bored and I still love to see the character fly very hard when they have big damage. So I suggest everyone who has a wii, Buy Super smash brawl when you don't have it yet Cool


Wrong game, dude. We're talking about New Super Mario Bros. Wii, not Smash Bros. It was released last month.



omg Shocked sorry for my mistaken Embarassed
I don't know about the new super mario bros, because I never seen trailers or demo's or something like that.
hamza1122
Oh the new four player game will be really fun, it'll be nice playin mario with more than one person...you can kinda help each other out i think or is it just like last man standing?
Ankhanu
You help one another out. There's no benefit to harming your co-players... unless you're getting tired of them holding you up or something Razz It works pretty much like multi-player in the old games, except everyone plays at the same time rather than waiting turns.
I've got mixed feelings on the multi-player form in the game. It's kind of neat playing cooperatively, but, all too often I find that one player or another gets too far ahead of the other(s) or in some other way ends up hindering the action someone, often resulting in lost lives. I guess it takes as much practice getting used to your co-players as it does simply getting good at the game.

Desonium, here's a video demo of the game for ya. As you can see it's pretty classically Super Mario Bros. Smile
eday2010
Ankhanu wrote:
I could see most of the industry seeing a re-rerelease of Super Mario Allstars as nothing but a cash grab. Rehashing the same game over and over isn't terribly satisfying for a developer either, I would suspect... think about it, if you had the option of starting something new, building upon ideas that you created in the past versus working to do the exact same thing all over again, which would you prefer to do in your work place? There are jobs where redoing the exact same thing every day are applauded... they tend to be minimum wage jobs Razz It's much more satisfying to challenge yourself to something new once in a while. Plus, for the Wii, most of those games are currently available (though not with updated graphics) through the Wii Store. They're already making their money off of them.


I see tons of people wanting a remake of Final Fantasy VII, and no one considers that a cash grab. A lot of people don't considerthe re-release of God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3 a cashgrab.

A new Mario compilation would be good for anyone who is a fan of those kinds of games. The people who have already played it will be familiar with it, yet pleased with the great art style and music. New players won't be turned off by the "primitive" graphics and sounds. The controls stay the same, but everything else gets a facelift. Not to mention that the only way to play the Super Mario Land games is in green and black with old Game Boy cartridges. It wouldn't take a huge development team to put a game like that together, so you could still get something totally brand new at the same time.
ato784
i don't know about this game, the wii just does not stand up to my standards as a gaming platform, and the wii controllers just don't seem like they would make a fun mario game...

Edit: Nintendo suprised me! they turned the controller on its side and used it like a real controller. Although I did still have trouble with controlling the game since the physics seemed to be a tad off of what a usual mario game is, but it is still pretty good.
Ankhanu
ato784 wrote:
... the wii controllers just don't seem like they would make a fun mario game


Did the original Nintendo Entertainment System controller make a fun Mario game?
The Wiimote is pretty much designed just like they were, with the addition of a velocimeter. It's a rectangular controller, 2 buttons and a D-pad held sideways like the NES controller, and you can give it a little bit of a shake to do one or two additional things, and there are a couple places where you have to tilt it from side to side... other than those two functions, it's just like the old-school control.

That's a silly argument Wink
Nameless
I just got this yesterday and started playing for a few hours ... It's good, but it really doesn't match up with ye old Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World of yore. Individual levels of the game are okay, but the problem is the sheer number of enemies and features the game throws at you; variety is one thing, but so far I've yet to see any of the real depth or design that older games with fewer features managed to delightfully wring out of them. The game is like a kid with an impossibly huge toybox, rummaging for familiar handcrafted artefacts and painstakingly designed modern gadgets ... then tossing them all away alike, never quite perceiving their meaning, to snatch at something else he'll never love. Too large a pile accumulates and it loses all purpose - this is no greater toybox, not a joyous world truly, but a soulless gimmickry without a reason or greater reward to explore than another memory recalled and tossed aside.

The box is full, but what is missing? If it lacks nothing, why does it feel so empty? The child may never know.

[/melodrama. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but from what I've seen co-op will be a waste of time and rushing through the levels competitively will be awesome.)
eday2010
ato784 wrote:
i don't know about this game, the wii just does not stand up to my standards as a gaming platform, and the wii controllers just don't seem like they would make a fun mario game


You don't seem to have good standards then. And the Controller is held sideways, like an NES pad. Nice try at finding something wrong with a game you never played, but you'll have to try harder.


Nameless wrote:
The box is full, but what is missing? If it lacks nothing, why does it feel so empty? The child may never know.


It may be the controls that make the game feel a bit off. I find Mario doesn't control as well as in Super Mario World. It could also be the graphic style they used in the game. 2.5D look awesome, but I think the game would have "felt" better if it was hand drawn 2D. In any case, the game is fantastice, and 4-player multiplayer is a riot.
Nameless
I actually thought the controls were pretty much perfect, and had no qualms with the graphics. The problem is that the game mostly lacks the clever design of its predecessors; instead of using one enemy in several interesting ways the game just throws a dozen different enemies at you and uses them each in rather uninspired ways (and then forgets them entirely). With that and every other level feeling the need to dance or spin, I've personally nicknamed it A.D.D. Mario.
Grim
speaking of multiplayer-fun the game is quite perfect; graphics are decent and the controlls also good; personally I think it is harder when playing simultaneously, because the geme becomes quite bustling then, but also more fun Very Happy
eday2010
Grim wrote:
speaking of multiplayer-fun the game is quite perfect; graphics are decent and the controlls also good; personally I think it is harder when playing simultaneously, because the geme becomes quite bustling then, but also more fun Very Happy


The graphics are way beyond "decent". If they are only "decent" to you, then you are overly spoiled. What are the graphics in a Mario game supposed to look like? It's a GAME, remember?

A lot of people said NSMBW copied LittleBigPlanet with the 4-player multiplayer. But Nintendo had wanted to do that since the 8-bit days. Plus the multiplayer in NSMBW is way better than in LittleBigPlanet. I used to think LBP was fun with 4 players. It still is, but not nearly as fun ans NSMBW.
Peterssidan
My brother and I finished it in one day (with a single remote) the last worlds I played alone because my brother watched a movie. Very much familiar stuff from Super Mario bros. 1 & 3 and Mario to SNES in my opinion. Good game for being a Wii game.
snowboardalliance
Grim wrote:
speaking of multiplayer-fun the game is quite perfect; graphics are decent and the controlls also good; personally I think it is harder when playing simultaneously, because the geme becomes quite bustling then, but also more fun Very Happy


I really like this game best for multiplayer co-op. Definitely a more fun twist on your classic mario platformer and better than passing around the controller and taking turns.
LostOverThere
snowboardalliance wrote:
I really like this game best for multiplayer co-op. Definitely a more fun twist on your classic mario platformer and better than passing around the controller and taking turns.

Yeah, multiplayer is a blast. It's so brutal! Somewhere around the world someone is filing for divorce because their partner didn't pop their bubble. Smile
eday2010
When my wife and I play, she'll often bubble herself while I get through a more difficult area. But sometimes the bubble gets too close and it accidentally gets popped. Some levels are really challenging. World 8 is quite a pain. I am scared to see what World 9 is like.
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
When my wife and I play, she'll often bubble herself while I get through a more difficult area. But sometimes the bubble gets too close and it accidentally gets popped. Some levels are really challenging. World 8 is quite a pain. I am scared to see what World 9 is like.
The game isn't meant to be played by watching someone else play through the entire game. Pop her bubble and tell her to play. It's not like you get a limited number of continues.
LostOverThere
World 9 is pretty brutal. Don't expect to find many (if any) super mushrooms throughout the entire world. It's quite rough, and the stages are fairly long.
bjcactus
Wii is the main thing to connect me and my family I think. There is no age limit and I can't enjoy it more. Anyway, to bond with my friends, I enjoyed play wii with others through tournaments. The best website I found is the bringit.com. Their offer is incredibly nice! They offer you some bringit money to start off and you can win the cash price if you score the final countdown! Cool Big challenge! You should try it!
eday2010
QrafTee wrote:
The game isn't meant to be played by watching someone else play through the entire game. Pop her bubble and tell her to play. It's not like you get a limited number of continues.


It seems like you didn't read my post. I said she bubbles herself when I am getting through a difficult section. Not the entire level. She bubbles herself because often times when I am timing my jumps, her dying messes me up because of how the gameplay pauses for a moment when someone croaks.


LostOverThere wrote:
World 9 is pretty brutal. Don't expect to find many (if any) super mushrooms throughout the entire world. It's quite rough, and the stages are fairly long.


I watched videos of someone playing through most of those worlds. The person didn't make them lok tough, but I could tell that some of them could be a real pain.
amperx
really great platform game, oh the memories of plaing mario is brought once again to the wii Very Happy
LostOverThere
Quote:

I watched videos of someone playing through most of those worlds. The person didn't make them lok tough, but I could tell that some of them could be a real pain.

Hah, yeah. Just like all the in-game super skills videos. I watch them and think to myself "That platforming doesn't look too difficult to pull off." I try it, and instantly fail.

Oh well, maybe one day* I'll be that good.

*In my wildest dreams.
snowboardalliance
eday2010 wrote:
QrafTee wrote:
The game isn't meant to be played by watching someone else play through the entire game. Pop her bubble and tell her to play. It's not like you get a limited number of continues.


It seems like you didn't read my post. I said she bubbles herself when I am getting through a difficult section. Not the entire level. She bubbles herself because often times when I am timing my jumps, her dying messes me up because of how the gameplay pauses for a moment when someone croaks.


Haha bubbling is an interesting feature that's helpful when you get stuck
eday2010
LostOverThere wrote:
Hah, yeah. Just like all the in-game super skills videos. I watch them and think to myself "That platforming doesn't look too difficult to pull off." I try it, and instantly fail.

Oh well, maybe one day* I'll be that good.

*In my wildest dreams.


Well, I have managed to beat 7 of the 8 levels in world 9 with all the Star coins. the only one left is level 7, I think. The ice one with all the fire spitting pirhana plants. That one will be very hard. Level 4 took me forever, but eventually I managed to beat it. Though I had to do so three times in order to get the three coins.
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
QrafTee wrote:
The game isn't meant to be played by watching someone else play through the entire game. Pop her bubble and tell her to play. It's not like you get a limited number of continues.


It seems like you didn't read my post. I said she bubbles herself when I am getting through a difficult section. Not the entire level. She bubbles herself because often times when I am timing my jumps, her dying messes me up because of how the gameplay pauses for a moment when someone croaks.
I did and it sounds like she should play the entire game. Like I said before (you should read what I post), you don't get a limited number of continues so it doesn't matter. Who knows she might surprise you.

"But it'll mess me up." So what? It's fun playing with friends (and your significant other) because it brings a level of unpredictability into the equation. If she's only doing the easy parts, she might as well stay in her bubble the entire time... hell she may as well sit down on the couch and watch you play the entire game. (I'm using rhetoric, seriously, get her to play with you the entire way through; it'll be fun)
proyectosGT
Wow. This game is amazing. I wanna play it, but unfortunately, I has a PS3 and a XBOX 360, so I have to wait several months to have a Wii... I only hope that Nintendo and others companies don't sell newers consoles in 4 yours at least. Good luck with this game... And excuse me my english. I'm still learning it.
wombatrpgs
I'm tempted to buy this, but the only Mario games I've ever really enjoyed were the NES-era ones. Will I regret this?
Ankhanu
Probably not; it's a nice mix of Mario 3 and Mario World... along with New Super Mario Bros on DS.
eday2010
QrafTee wrote:
I did and it sounds like she should play the entire game. Like I said before (you should read what I post), you don't get a limited number of continues so it doesn't matter. Who knows she might surprise you.

"But it'll mess me up." So what? It's fun playing with friends (and your significant other) because it brings a level of unpredictability into the equation. If she's only doing the easy parts, she might as well stay in her bubble the entire time... hell she may as well sit down on the couch and watch you play the entire game. (I'm using rhetoric, seriously, get her to play with you the entire way through; it'll be fun)


She's not into playing much. She was just helping me out. And her timing was bad, so often she would die, and her dying would mess me up because of how the game pauses for a second when someone dies.

She's had plenty of opportunity to play the game, but never has. She like playing on her DS.
wombatrpgs
Ankhanu wrote:
Probably not; it's a nice mix of Mario 3 and Mario World... along with New Super Mario Bros on DS.


Ah, that's a shame. I really didn't enjoy Mario World for some reason.
rayxzero
I finished this in one week, maybe because I only playing wii at night. The game is good using 2D style platform game within a 3D graphics. Although it can be played by 4 player, It is better for 1 player mode.
Related topics
New screenshots of the New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS
Super Mario Bros Synthesizer
What is your favourite Super Mario game?
a lego robot can beat the first level of super mario bros
Qual console de video game vocês irão adquirir?
Gamecube Rocks!
What about Classic Games?
[Official]Wii
Super Mario Bros Super Show
PS3: Little Big Planet... Opinions?
Jogos Originais , onde adquirir?
E3 2010
Mario Turns 25
Your earliest games console?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.