FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Linux do you use?

Which Linux do you use?
Fedora
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Mandrakelinux
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
SUSE
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Debian
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
ubuntu
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
KNOPPIX
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Gentoo
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Slackware
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 48

mars
Which Linux are you use?

I use fedora 4 now.
Very Happy
jvachez
Mandrake doesn't exist anymore. The new name is Mandriva.
windval
i think mandrakelinux is the best
i think it is nice and it has more games for me to play
tommy.studio
Mandrakelinux is good! Wink
kv
Why redhat is not there in the list? Are they not distributing linux anymore? I always used redhat and liked rpm packaging.
blackant
I am using ubuntu now.
Have tried FC4, but prefer ubuntu as it is only a 'single' disc and their support on the forum is very good. Wink
chirag
I have used Red Hat 9. But madrake is gr8
corey
I've always liked Vector for its speed and small size, but I use Gentoo.
mars
kv wrote:
Why redhat is not there in the list? Are they not distributing linux anymore? I always used redhat and liked rpm packaging.

fedora is made by redhat. it is free.
Ranfaroth
I use Debian GNU/Linux (sid) for those reasons.
LostOverThere
Do you use Linux aswell as Windows or without Windows?
Ranfaroth
Me ? Without.
budazz
mandrake and fedora are the most popular linux os...hehe

this is the one we use in our school... Laughing
lockwolf
SUSE is a great distro
ronitvohra
I m Using Sun Solaris.............Presently.

platform are fedora.mandriva,ubuntu and many other linux.....

but the best is Fedora 4........till now,but the team gets update the version of fedora very soon,and we cant stick to keep installing fedora again n again..

Now using solaris and i like the way its.............
tdebruyn
It depends.
To have fun, I am using Gentoo. With Debian, Slackware and LFS, this is a good distro to learn how an OS works from a sys admin point of view

At work, I am using Mandriva, very easy to manage, pretty up to date with applications and with a lot of applications

As server, I like CentOS, which is a 100% clone of RHEL, but free. I would probably also like Debian for this purpose if I knew it better.

I plan to try Debian or Kubuntu (currently, I prefer KDE over GNOME) one of these days.

>ronitvohra
Hum, Solaris? Why not MacOS, Windows or Amiga? The topic is about Linux Wink

For a good web site to compare distros:
www.distrowatch.com

Tom
gonzo
oracle grid?
ronitvohra
tdebruyn wrote:

>ronitvohra
Hum, Solaris? Why not MacOS, Windows or Amiga? The topic is about Linux Wink

Tom

U can check my post ..........again...........
surdy
i use Fedora core 2
soon will be shifting to fedora core 4
odek
He, i'm using Mandriva 2005 Cool
I hate windows Evil or Very Mad
corey
Hey, I just installed Kubuntu yesterday for a hoot. It surprised the heck outta me! I think that this might be the next newbie distro Smile It went on the computer smoothly. The bootloader install recognized my other OS's. It has a nicely trimmed KDE-oriented menu. It almost takes me from my Gentoo, but not quite.
Kitsune
I use MEPIS becaue it was the only distro i could get make to work on......
Kd527
I use the live CD Knoppix. But I never really use it anymore.
win66
knowppix only.... because it can be burn in a cd and run.No need to use any hard disk space...
charliehk
Ubuntu is an interesting word that I don't know how to pronounce!

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others"

So meaningful!!
ocalhoun
[quote="jvachez"]Mandrake doesn't exist anymore. The new name is Mandriva.[/quote]
Did they really manage to eradicate all the older vesions of Madrake on all the machines in the world?
If not, then Mandrake does still exist!
ocalhoun
I like to use SuSE (now SUSE). The thing that makes it better in my opinion is the YAST, which makes settings and hardware config very easy. I also like to use the SuSE live eval CD's, They can run w/o a hard drive, but they can also write more settings to the hard drive.
grade-8
in the last 3 years i used the fedora core operating system now i'm using redhat !
geyikkutuphanesi
I use ubuntu but I haven t used any other linux. if u suggest a linux better than ubuntu I can try it...: Smile
Antoine_935
I'm currently using Mandrake 10.1 but I really ahte it because it can't compile anything, install anything, even with rpm's Sad
Just use Ubuntu or Slackware Wink
Leo_
The first linux i've used was Mandrake. I really didn't like it.

Later, a friend of mine showed me Ubuntu, and i felt in love with it. And these last days, i'm trying Debian. I Really like it, easy to use and so familiar to Ubuntu.
Xcelerate
I find that Ubuntu best suits my computer. No problems at all! The only thing is I still can't get my internet to work (winmodems)

Without internet, I stick to Windows.
palka
I love Mandrake 10.1. Never used anything else after I discovered it. I play around with other distros though.
Dino
i`m working on mandriva, but suse is also great, yesterday i put a Slackware 10.2 on my machine, and i`m delighted with it
I think that debian is the best
leodv
Slackware rules, I started installing slackware into my old pcs, and have prefer them over other distro ever since. Tried red hat but it does not work quite well for old PCs. Red hat is just too bloated.
Deji
ive used at different times

.... Knoppix, Ubuntu, Slackware, MiniSlack (minimalist slack distro)....

also played with mandrake and probably a few others, im kinda bad and making up my mind with distros.

The main problem i have is that i play a lot of games that they havnt managed to get to work on linux yet so i end up switching back to windows to play some counter strike source or ragnarok online.
Revvion
i have tried a lot but currently i am using opensuse withs is the opensource version of Suse kiend of what fedora is to redhat
desertwind
Fedora Core 4, and quite happy with it.

Currently downloading FC5test1.
mars
now,I use Ubuntu 5.10,it is so perfect.
quartz
Many years i've used Redhat and Fedora. Tried some other distributions but redhat based distributions was easier for me.
Now im installed ubuntu at home just to try debian based linux, and... i like it

So I use FC4 at work and edUbuntu at home
jovemac
I do use SUSE 9.3. But its slightly pronominent compared to redhat. I do face a problem in that its not detecting my VGA. I have to go through the console and force it to accept my login. Can someone help in this ?
k_s_baskar
I use knoppix which need no installation n run from CD itself. Very Happy
jovemac
Yes. knoppix is gud to use. But its not possible to admin remote servers. Thats why installed suse.
k_s_baskar
jovemac wrote:
Yes. knoppix is gud to use. But its not possible to admin remote servers. Thats why installed suse.

Yes i agree. But i am using Windows xp and dont wish to create linux partition in my HDD. As a learner i think knopix is more enough for me
Smile
jovemac
yes knoppix is okie for a learner level. But for higher end operations its not useful.
osuchin
i tried using Ubuntu. Its good OS if you want to replace your OS that was so expensive. Because, Ubuntu is free.
TomGrey
What about those of us who "have" to use XP at work -- so want a Win XP at home, too.

What Linux is the easiest to post-install on an XP machine.

And what about the types of Hard Disk partitions required for Linux?

If there is another forum to ask these dual boot questions, that would be good to know about.
Peterssidan
I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. It's good and easy to use.
xtranophilist
Trying whatever I get.
First tried, fedora, then some small live Distros like Knoppix, Austrumi.
Then Ubuntu.
Then Fedora.
Tomorrow mandriva.
Next week openSuse.
reb00table
I use Fedora 8 ( 9 doesn't works with my video card driver)

TomGrey wrote:

What Linux is the easiest to post-install on an XP machine.

I think it's Ubuntu, because of it's live cd, and you can run it on a Windows partition (seen it on youtube)
I use Fedora now, but I'm thinking about swithcing to Ubuntu. I prefer though the DVD install, not live CD.
TomGrey wrote:

And what about the types of Hard Disk partitions required for Linux?

If there is another forum to ask these dual boot questions, that would be good to know about.

I think it's ext3, an extension that Windows can't see, edit, format. If you have a linux partition, you can't format it with Windows.

about dual boot:
Linux + Windows: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_first.htm
Windows + Linux: http://generalitati.net/how-make-dual-boot-windows-and-fedora

I used the second version and it works fine Smile
viraj
I tried to run the bootable cd image of fedora linux on my laptop which is having windows xp as a base os and Microsoft Virtual PC .

But this is not getting successful, as the graphic drivers/card which my virtual machine is providing is not getting detected propoerly.. If I load any window based OS like win2k3, win2000 they all work propoerly on the virtual pc machine, but only this is a problem with the linux os...

Is it so that Microsoft do not want to have Linux to run even on its Virtual PC...

Any help, please reply..
exnus
Ubuntu 8.04 the best! I'm use this distr 3 year. Put your server without problems. Now hold your site.
FunDa
I use Kubuntu and Ubuntu, but I like Ubuntu better.

And especially with the 3d desktop add-on, it looks really cool !!!!! Awesome Cool
jambler
Slackware and Damn Small Linux have always been my favorites. The first one I used was Redhat 7 back in the day, and I didn't mind fedora core 1 and 2. With 3 I just lost interest because of all the bugs in the initial release.
hummer010
I've been using Debian exclusively for about two years now. I've tried Ubuntu, but I just don't like the installation process. It seems counter intuitive to me to install a bunch of stuff I don't want, and then remove it. I'd rather use the debian installer, and only install the packages I want.