FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Music is..

misterXY
Dead, correct?
catscratches
Indeed, with only 3,013 albums by somewhat major bands (meaning 3/4 of what I listen to isn't there) being released so far this year. [1]

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2009_albums
jeck
music is everywhere... you just need to learn how to listen....
PureReborn
I will say that Popular music is pretty much dead to me. I haven't listen to any of the new artists from major labels in years. But with stuff like Youtube, Pandora, and web streaming the smaller musician are finally getting a break in reaching audiences from all across the world.
Radar
I disagree. But then I'd also disagree with the statement that print is dead, so, eh.

The best phrase I've heard to describe the current state of medium like print or music that are struggling is 'socialogically stalled'. Society as a whole has simply moved on or lost interest. That doesn't mean that people aren't still using them, that there isn't millions of dollars being exchanged at it, or that it isn't extremly important to some people.

I find it hard to understand music being called dead though, as I would have thought that mp3 players are currently taking over the world, and that three minute songs are still within people's ever decreasing attention spans.
Afaceinthematrix
I disagree. In the past year or so (slightly more than a year), the following great albums have been released:

Slayer - World Painted Blood
Megadeth - Endgame
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Children of Bodom - Skeletons in the Closet
Ensiferum - From Afar
Behemoth - Evangelion
etc...

There has been a lot of great music that has come out lately. You just have to look at it. A lot of the current crap that comes out on the radio is complete garbage and something that I have trouble calling music. But there are still tons and tons of less than mainstream bands that have and continue to come out with great music.

So music isn't dead. Music is alive. However, it seems like most people in society tend to look towards crappy bands and crappy music and call it real music and good music... Popular music may be dead, but music in general, is not.
Ankhanu
When you learn to hear the music in the world around you, you'll see understand it is immortal.

Also, remember that music is more than sounds... it is also the absence of sound. In fact, the absence of sound is probably one of the most definitive elements of what makes music, well, music.
Parkour_Jarrod
TRUE MUSIC IS DEAD!

Modern Music has lost everything

"Nigga Beatz" have destroyed it all

Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Kayne West. they are not musicians they are just ... i don't even have words to describe it.

AND IM SICK OF HEARING PEOPLE CALL THEM RnB! RnB stands for Rythmn and Blues...

Such as Blues Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Little River Band... the true rythmn and blues with harmonica and such!!

cmon people, this modernist music era will destroy music as we know it... my generation gen-y need to have some real music shoved up their butts...

No longer on the radio do you hear the true music gods such as The Rolling Stones... Kiss... Queen... Led Zeppelin... Abba... AC/DC... Nirvana... The Ramones...

Yes their "old" but its better than listening to a man dressed up as a woman who can't sing without being 90% digitally voice altered singing about having a poker face 5 times in one hour!!!!!!

What has happened to the world!

I must go before i rage too much
catscratches
Then just don't listen to the radio. Problem solved.

I.m.o. mainstream music is, and has always been, complete and utter crap.
Parkour_Jarrod
catscratches wrote:
Then just don't listen to the radio. Problem solved.

I.m.o. mainstream music is, and has always been, complete and utter crap.

I don't listen to radio anymore...

Mainstream can die

but what about us who want just random music? what do we do?
catscratches
You search the Internet. Nowadays finding music is easier than ever before. You can get free samples of songs so you know if the album's worth buying. (And there's pirating, of course.) It's much easier to find new stuff.

I must say that today is the best time to be a music listener. You can get all the new stuff but you can still get all the old stuff much easier than before, with the rise of Internet auction sites etc.

With sites like last.fm, you can get recommendations on artists similar to the ones you already like.

With the introduction of new instruments, techniques and computers, there's more variety than before. You can find even the most uncommon and underground releases with little effort.

Surely, I can see no bad thing about music today.

People who complain about today's music are i.m.o. just lazy whiners who can't look past the well-known (or somewhat well-known) stuff.
Helios
Dead? Eh?

You probably mean that popular music is dying. Which is of course true due to the rise of the personal mass media service called the Interwebz, leaving the public radio and music TV channels eating large amounts of dust with their crappy "charts" covered in it as well.
Hopefully in the future record companies will stop whining about not having a lot of sales, and put their efforts into building a better business model which is 100% virtual, working with modern technology (the Internet), instead of fighting anonymous "pirates". Reliable and fast online stores providing top-quality (as in sound quality) media, will, I believe, also sort of problem of music pirating. But that's a whole other subject to discuss...
lethaltriad
Music right now has lost it's appeal for me, i really miss the days of hard rock. There are still nice songs out there that I can listen to but not many songs that I can say that I would listen to 5-10 years later.
misterXY
I don't know, l have music theme pack from rogers, includes
Aux
Retro
Vibe (which is really shitty)
Loud... which has gone emo.. how's that loud?
MuchPunch Mtv and mtv2... ALL SHIT..
Radio plays same songs every hour, youtube cracks on my music for "piracy" all the time yet l see lady *gag*-a like ****** this shit! Sad
Sorry for my french
paskifire
a way of life
Radar
Sound and silences produced in order to make music.

Music isn't dead. I don't think it could ever truly die, not even in the sense that print is dead. It's an integral part of film if nothing else, and that isn't disappearing anytime soon. Regardless of that though, people will continue to love music for it's own sake, and continue to be fascinated by it, for many years to come.
kovok
Music is huge business.
misterXY
Helios wrote:
Dead? Eh?

You probably mean that popular music is dying. Which is of course true due to the rise of the personal mass media service called the Interwebz, leaving the public radio and music TV channels eating large amounts of dust with their crappy "charts" covered in it as well.
Hopefully in the future record companies will stop whining about not having a lot of sales, and put their efforts into building a better business model which is 100% virtual, working with modern technology (the Internet), instead of fighting anonymous "pirates". Reliable and fast online stores providing top-quality (as in sound quality) media, will, I believe, also sort of problem of music pirating. But that's a whole other subject to discuss...

But that's just a fantasy! They now go over their heads too the middleman, ISP, and threaten too cut off their service. l've actually received, and will post when l find a scanner, a letter. It was an independent artist! Downloaded it, now MAFIAA and RIAA saying l PIRATED it!? And threaten legal action (l'm in Canada, where it's legal too download, illegal too share), and have my provider shut me down, there's only two providers in my area. How's this legal? l can't, apparently, escape the mainstream music, they want me too buy into there "music", and blocking me from real music. Music is dead, look at the charts, and say too yourself "Who the hell area these people?" and for the love of God, don't sample it, your ears will thank you. BLAH RAMPAGE!
catscratches
So, basically. You think that music is dead cause the Internet can't help you in get some specific independent artists for free? How about before the Internet? It couldn't help you then either. Was music dead then as well?

In my opinion, mainstream music has been crap ever since it was first conceived. From classical music to pop. From the 9th century to today.
Ankhanu
catscratches wrote:
In my opinion, mainstream music has been crap ever since it was first conceived. From classical music to pop. From the 9th century to today.

That's quite the assertion (and quite conservative on how old the concept of "mainstream" music is)!!
I'm kinda curious as to how you define "mainstream music" that you think it didn't exist prior to 800C.E.
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
So, basically. You think that music is dead cause the Internet can't help you in get some specific independent artists for free? How about before the Internet? It couldn't help you then either. Was music dead then as well?

Well l was never really into music before the net as l'm only 21.. l don't know what the world was really like without the internet Razz
The internet was great for finding new music that you won't find at HMV or mtv which is really helpful. Plus some of my genre isn't very popular in Canada, like techno, the one's that are popular are either overrated or they're from quebec and speak a little more french then l can handle, not french french, quebec french, wayyyy different.
standready
Music is NOT dead. Recording companies should be leaving. Notice how most new artist are young solo ,sometimes too young too handle what is being done to them. Recording companies go after the uneducated about the business and used them. Company tells them what to play, where and when to play, put their own musicians behind at shows or worst puts them on stage with canned background music. Yes, they get paid but very little of what they should get.
I have seen too many of the "boilermaker" template contracts the industry offers to artist. Anyone remember the saying "I sold my soul to the company store"?
catscratches
Ankhanu wrote:
catscratches wrote:

That's quite the assertion (and quite conservative on how old the concept of "mainstream" music is)!!
I'm kinda curious as to how you define "mainstream music" that you think it didn't exist prior to 800C.E.
Basically, any band/musician that is exceedingly famous.

Of course, that's a generalization. There are good mainstream artists. They're just very few and far between.
bloodrider
not thinking about the business part music is... food for the soul Razz
standready
bloodrider wrote:
not thinking about the business part music is... food for the soul Razz

Music is for the soul. The business end of the music industry is a soul-less game of masters and slaves until an artist becomes a true business themselves. Many artist sign their life away just to say they have a recording contract.
Ask John "Cougar" Mellencamp about his early years or read his bio. "Cougar" was a name given to him by the company because they did not think Mellencamp was a good rock name.
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
Dead? :-s

I think music pirating mostly exists in popular music (which is weird, because why would anyone want to steal crap?). In Southern California, USA, where I live, we have a relatively small, but dedicated metal community. I think that, in metal, music pirating is much less common. I think that primarily the reason is that stealing music is simply not metal and that people tend to like to support the bands they listen to. My friends and I all tend to spend huge amounts of money supporting (by going to the many metal shows in Hollywood and by buying CDs) bands we listen to. In the last week I bought both Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire and Blackguard - Profugus Mortis.

I do not know anything about other music scenes because I am strictly big on the metal scene in So.Cal. But I am guessing that if you're really into underground music you'll realize that that's where the real talent is and you'll want to support the bands you listen to.

And since I couldn't really care less about talentless music (i.e. mainstream), then I do not worry about music pirating. People will support their bands and the masses will just steal but since the masses are so popular they will still take home buckets of money off of merchandising and other deals like that.
adrianagg58
Music is the art of putting the sounds together. When it happens we can hear the most beautiful melody!
Radar
Music is whatever you want it to be.
granvals
I'm a music lover, and I want to know new artists, bands, singers, and show what I know.

So, my suggestion is: Fastball

It's a alternative rock band, who like this kind of music, this is my suggestion
inuyasha
Music isn't dead. Surprised, which can bring us energy, sweep away darkness and thus light up the world!
Actually, I can't understand any other types other than pop music, who is sometimes considered unable to really understand music. But pop music already gives me enough. Very Happy