FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Search my sites folders for a certain file extension

Possum
Hi

Is there a way I can search all the folders on my site for a certain files extension.

For example how would I find all the files in the many folders I have that has the extension *.zzz

thank you..
cr3ativ3
This can be done with a php script, unfortunately doing this is hard on the HDD of the server so I wouldnt recommend running it very often... You could also download your entire site if its not to big and then search for the file on your local system (which would probably be easier).

Below is a link to a php function that scans directories for files, you could create script that searches your directories for files... If your not that experience with php, perhaps a simple google search could bring up some pre-made scripts.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.opendir.php

Good Luck.
Asap170
You can do this with FileZilla. Log into your Account via the FTP software and go to public_html once you get there find the binoculars and click it. and add in the box "Search for" or whatever it be called ".exe" It'll then search your site and show you where they are. Oh what files have the .exe extension
Possum
Yes.. I do use FileZilla

Your advice worked perfectly.. the answer was literally in front of me.. lol

I made a tutorial on how to do a remote search with FileZilla

http://udopage.com/webdevelopers/udopage_25.php

Cheers