FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Down?

deanhills
Has there been another attack on Frihost as is would appear that Servers 2 and 3 must have been down for more than a couple of hours tonight? Server 1 was in good shape however as I was able to work on my Website for all of that time with no problem.
coreymanshack
deanhills wrote:
Has there been another attack on Frihost as is would appear that Servers 2 and 3 must have been down for more than a couple of hours tonight? Server 1 was in good shape however as I was able to work on my Website for all of that time with no problem.

What ever server frihost forums are on, I was having trouble accessing it today from around 12PM CST-4PM CST
Asap170
deanhills wrote:

Most likely no. They might of been fixing them or something at the Data Center....
Bondings
Yes, there were problems (a few hours I guess), very likely caused by a website (once removed everything got back to normal). Sorry for the downtime.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
Yes, there were problems (a few hours I guess), very likely caused by a website (once removed everything got back to normal). Sorry for the downtime.

Thanks bondings!
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Thanks for sorting it out. How do you usually get to know there is a problem? Do you have a special kind of alarm system connected to Frihost? Feels as though Frihost staff have to be on a 24-hour watch all the time? We're most grateful for that.

Would be nice if there could be a special kind of code written so that if a Website should conflict with the rest of the system that it would automatically implode and bite the dust, i.e. self-erase. The only part that will remain would be an automatic report that gets to be forwarded to the Host Master of what had happened, and exactly what had gone wrong. On the other hand, that may spoil all the fun you must be getting to troubleshoot all of this Smile
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Thanks for sorting it out. How do you usually get to know there is a problem? Do you have a special kind of alarm system connected to Frihost? Feels as though Frihost staff have to be on a 24-hour watch all the time? We're most grateful for that.

Would be nice if there could be a special kind of code written so that if a Website should conflict with the rest of the system that it would automatically implode and bite the dust, i.e. self-erase. The only part that will remain would be an automatic report that gets to be forwarded to the Host Master of what had happened, and exactly what had gone wrong. On the other hand, that may spoil all the fun you must be getting to troubleshoot all of this Smile

I check if the servers are ok by loading a website on each server. That seems to be the best measure to find out any problems.

The problems were due to a warez/torrents website. I wasn't able to check out precisely what it was since suspending didn't want to work within reasonable time, so I had to delete it (I'm usually curious and try to take a good look at it). But anyway, the website was obviously breaching our TOS.
deanhills
Thanks for the info, we're lucky to have you at the throttles. Caring both about Frihost as well as the Websites, and then about the rules.

Looks as though we may have "inherited" a bug page from the last problem. For example, when I click on replying to you, or I try to upload a posting, I get this page:

When I go for the "refresh" button it more or less sorts it out. But probably needs to be removed. Smile
blueray
The session tabe seems to be corrupted.
It must required a run of the repair tablename on the forum table.
But before run it. Forum database should backup first before running such command.

And thanks for Bonding for the hard work. Smile
Bondings
blueray wrote:
But before run it. Forum database should backup first before running such command.

I have repaired it now. The table is not really important so no backup is needed (it would only lose the sessions in case it is emptied, causing everyone to have to login again). I also issued a reboot, but the server didn't come back up again so I had to wait for the support/datacenter rebooting it, causing some downtime.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
blueray wrote:

I have repaired it now. The table is not really important so no backup is needed (it would only lose the sessions in case it is emptied, causing everyone to have to login again). I also issued a reboot, but the server didn't come back up again so I had to wait for the support/datacenter rebooting it, causing some downtime.

Oh so that's what that was early this morning.. I was like geeez can't get my email!
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
blueray wrote:

Thanks Steve. Everything is working perfectly now, looks as though we are on the roll again.

I must have missed the "down time" you are referring to, as when I logged in during my previous session a number of hours ago, there were only 8 people (including guests) online. I had thought it really strange and amazing at the time, but this must explain it.
Bondings
The downtime was only about an hour. However, the problems with the sessions lasted quite a while, although reloading the page should have worked most of the time.