FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cant Delete Thumbs (Windows 7)

Possum
Hi

When I try to delete some folders I get this message

Quote:
The Action can't be completed because the file is open

How can I stop this from happening and delete these folders.

Thank you..
mOrpheuS
Possum wrote:
When I try to delete some folders I get this message

Quote:
The Action can't be completed because the file is open

How can I stop this from happening and delete these folders.

If you have thumbnails enabled for media files, the possibility of this happening can never be ruled out.

The only sure (and non-intrusive) method to prevent this would be to disable thumbnails -
Fire Boar
It's because of the folder previews. The files called Thumbs.db in Windows is a mini database of thumbnails of all images in that folder. In Windows XP and previous, this was not an issue because folders did not preview their contents, but now it becomes impossible if your folders are showing image or video previews. To get around this, you can reduce the size of the folders (using List view should do the trick); you can delete every image, then the Thumbs.db file manually; or you can use CMD or Cygwin to delete the folder.
aningbo
Quote:
It's because of the folder previews. The files called Thumbs.db in Windows is a mini database of thumbnails of all images in that folder. In Windows XP and previous, this was not an issue because folders did not preview their contents, but now it becomes impossible if your folders are showing image or video previews. To get around this, you can reduce the size of the folders (using List view should do the trick); you can delete every image, then the Thumbs.db file manually; or you can use CMD or Cygwin to delete the folder.

why not restart the system?

also, its time you install your drivers from the motherboard CD.
Fire Boar
aningbo wrote:
why not restart the system?

I know Windows likes to restart a lot, but who wants to restart whenever they want to delete a folder?