FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you Protect your Phone?

How Would you Protect your "App Phone"?
Holster or Pouch
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Hard Clip-on Case
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Silicon Skin
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Protective Film (Invisible Shield, Ghost Armour, Phantom Skinz)
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Only Screen Protector
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Combination of the Above (Please Specify)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

QrafTee
If you had an "App Phone" (Apple iPhone, HTC Touch Pro 2, Motorola Droid, Samsung Omnia II, Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10, etc.) what would you use to protect it?

I'm planning to get an "App Phone" so I'd like to know what would be the best solution and it might also prove useful for other Frihost members as well--none of my phones have been worth protecting thus far.

Personally, I was thinking of using the combination of a Protective Film, a Hard Clip-on Case, and a Holster (generic type which will work with the clip-on case).

Also, I would like to thank you all in advance for helping me out.
detsucks
I would personally use a screen protector, + a pouch/hard case. That's what i use to protect my phone Smile
goutha
I think that a screen protector is a must.

Silicone case is also a good solution. It's light, does not add much to the phone's dimensions, and it does a good job!
chatrack
I would also buy a good hard , crystal clear proctector covering for it.
sana618
well my phone is covered with the clear protector covering n since it is always in my purse wen i'm not
using it so i don't need a pouch or anything else.
deanhills
Mine is also covered with a clear protector, but I'm convinced that these phones have been designed to withstand lots of damage. One does not really need to use any protectors. My phone has fallen a few times on hard concrete floors with no dent or crack, and performance as good as ever.
Ankhanu
I use a Griffin Elan graphite covering for mine, which includes a screen protector: http://themobileexperience.blogspot.com/2009/04/review-griffin-elan-form-graphite.html

It's not too bulky like a lot of cases. Only thing is getting the damn screen protector on... you're going to have that issue with any screen protector though. It's very easy to get a tiny bit of dust under there, which really messes up the process, and cleaning off the backside is not fun Razz

I just keep it in my pocket, no holster, and keep things like keys and coins out of that pocket.
Dean_The_Great
I used to use a holster type case, but now I just keep it in my pocket, and make sure I never put change or keys in it. So far so good! Almost a year and nearly zero damage!
czarulit
I never used any cradle or something. For me it's uncomfortable to use it with such thing. And it doesn't look like it was meant to look.
william
Well, a screen protector is a must. Besides that, I guess a hard case will work out nicely. Actually, what's even better is something like Zaag Invisibleshield. That should cover up the whole phone, then you can get another case on top of it for even more protection (namely from shock).
Fatality
I should be getting an iPhone soon, because my current contract is about to expire. I haven't thought about it too much, but it is a valid concern. I will probably get some sort of case and screen protector for it. I like all of the suggestions people have submitted so far. Keep them coming...
Stolich
Just a silicon skin and a screen protector for me!
erlendhg
I only use the screen protecter and pouch that was included in the package, for my HTC Touch HD. It may not be the most protective solution, but it has worked out great so far.

I have insurance on my phone, though, so I'm not so worried anyhow.
ForceRun
I have the Iphone 3GS and use the Invisible Shield stuff, it works mostly. Just looks a little wavy on the screen and the edge have collect a little grime.
cemica
I have a holster, what was with my phone (Nokia 5800), when I bought it. It's quite good, but I have tought, that I must buy invisible shield too, because then the phone is more protected.
Guelila
Ive had my 16g iPhone 2G for almost two years now, and I have never used any type of protection for it.
Today,not a single noticeable scratch on my screen, and just a few bumps/scratches here and there.
I personally think that its in top notch condition considering that I have been using it for almost 2 years.
Though I do not use any type of protection, I found that keeping it in my jean pocket (or any other pocket for that matter) by itself without any other objects (keys, earphones, wallet, etc), it should do just fine without a case or a screen protector.
logosen
The phone I have I never need to protect it with anything.
Basically roughly the cost of my Cell-phone is not more than 5x its protection measures. So If I wait for 2 months it decreases to 4x. And at that time it would be better to buy a Cell whose price is 5x. because as long as its value remains above 4x (to the protection measures), it remains with me. But when it reaches 4x, I sale it.

But protective film on screen is a good option, unless doesn't effect the visibility.
pouch, I dont like it. Pouch-rated mobiles should not be pouched, since they are to show off.
As for Skins, better option. if its cost is not very high. Otherwise bad option.
Protective Jackets, leave it. good for jacket-sellers. not for Cell-holders. Smile

I do not take protective measures for my mobile. But just CARE for it.
soljarag
for my past 3 phones I have used "beskskinsever" they work great and they are cheap. Kinda hard to apply to the phone. I got it alittle off, and now its coming up at the corners....

Bestbuy will install them for like $10... and will replace it if it ever comes loose... so it might be worth it..
Agent ME
I just keep my phone in my pocket by itself most of the time to prevent scratches, but it's not too expensive and not an app phone at all. I keep my zune in its felt case all the time though to prevent scratches after it got a few.
lethaltriad
Right now i'm using a hard case for my phone, had a couple soft cases but they didnt protect it from scratches as much.
wellerchap
I ride a scooter to work (don't have a car), and for the English weather EVERYTHING must be waterproof, so I wrap it in a polythene bag & keep it in my riding jacket pocket.
I don't have a fancy phone, it's a small pay-as-you-go thing, only needed really for breakdowns.
My pals get annoyed with me as I never have it switched on, but personally I see mobile phones as one of the great intrusions into 21st century life, so it's only there for when I really need it.
Greatking
i keep my phones in my purse and put the purse in the bag. i know where they are kept so immediately any of them rings i pick it up and replace after answering. simple.
nigam
i keep protected my phone with a screen protector, wrap with a soft cloth and put it in a phone purse and then put it in the safe pocket in my bag.
missdixy
I used to keep in in a phone pouch but I got tired of it haha. Now I just keep in my pocket because it's less bulky without the pouch.
Jinx
I use an Invisible Shield screen protector on my iPhone and make sure I don't put anything else in my pocket with it. Works pretty good so far.
coreymanshack
I use the bodyglove line for LG phones, maybe it works on other phones too? idk.
guissmo
Silicon skin. That way it wont slip when I put it in places, especially on the car dashboard.

I used to NOT have protection for my iTouch since I assumed it would be strong enough to stand by itself... but my assumption was wrong. I learned my lesson.

Always use protection. Wink
ankitdatashn
I normally use the pouch for caring for my mobile, I used it quite often now I dunno where I have misplaced the pouch.

Also I would like to tell that I like my mobile as a substance rather than as material so following tips might as well be helpful to reall protect your mobile Smile

The 15-digit serial or IMEI number helps to identify your phone and can be accessed by keying in digits into most phones or by looking behind the battery of your phone. Give these details to police
Phone make and model
Fascia details (colour etc.)
Phone number
Serial/IMEI number
PIN number

Also most people wouldn’t give away or sell their wireless phone without first deleting their phone book and other personal information. But you should be just as careful if your phone needs to be repaired.

These things if followed will truly "protect ur mobile"! , Very Happy
airh3ad
We know radiation rigth? if there is no type of place, in which man works, stays, or sleep, which is devoid of harmful rays. The most dangerous are the effects of the radiation in those places where we spend most of our time: our beds and our workplaces. Given the fact that this radiation cannot be noticed, we would like to number a few symptoms, which would help you recognize it.
One more thing you can do to protect your camera while traveling or hiking or exposed to the elements is to invest in a good, high quality camera bag. There are plenty of them out there and a lot of them are weatherproof. Bogen and Lowepro are two makers of quality bags.
goutha
guissmo wrote:
Silicon skin. That way it wont slip when I put it in places, especially on the car dashboard.

I used to NOT have protection for my iTouch since I assumed it would be strong enough to stand by itself... but my assumption was wrong. I learned my lesson.

Always use protection. Wink

Complitely agree with you. Silicon is a must.
joostvane
Some cheap protecting case (that I'm gonna buy this week) and an insurance :p
Pepperfan
I would use a screen protector keep this guy handy http://tinyurl.com/yhs8mb5. Smile

Charles
ankitdatashn
Ohh and by the way I forgot to mention that those tips I mentioned were useful "if you lose your phone" to protect it and recover it back...
hamza1122
I would use a protective casing on the outside that is strong and doesn't easily break when dropped, slim however as chunky ones don't look nice. And then use a protective screen thingy for the screen to prevent any scratches on your phone screen.
crimson_aria
I use silicon case and a screen protector. I believe these two protectors are the must-haves. they help a lot.
nigam
I guess by keeping the phone inside your pocket when you're in a place where a lot of people surrounds you and almilost all of them you don't know or trust. Even the your phone keeps on ringing you can't answer it.huhuhu In this case your like paranoid alreasy but that suits the case on how you can protect ypu phone.
ProwerBot
I don't do anything to protect my current shitty samsung hue ii. I am getting a motorola q soon though and I may buy a hard case for it. I have a hard case on my ipod and it works great.
ForceRun
I use an Invisible Shield screen protector on my iPhone, the backing is not that great and the screen cover is starting to come off also, so I'm thing of removing it all.
deanhills
I think most phones, especially the Nokias I've had are very hardy phones. They probably don't need any protective covering, although I have always used permanent plastic sleeves to protect them from the dust or accidental spills.
goutha
I also want to add a suggestion : never put something else in your pocket with your phone (coins, keys, etc.) Even with the best protection in the world, you'll get it scratched at the end of the day!
carlospro7
I used to have one of those clip-on cases, but with my current phone it is just a burden to have it. I now just carry it in my pocket. Unfortunately, I have dropped it more times than I should. Luckily, it's a sturdy phone, and it still holds strong. One piece of plastic, that is insignificant to the functionality, was beginning to chip after dropping it so many times. Since I didn't want my phone to look broken, I super-glued the plastic, and it's holding up pretty well. Very Happy
TurtleShell
Yes, I protect my phone by dropping it on the ground a few times a week. I subscribe to the "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger" mentality. Plus I'm a huge klutz.
DeltaM
I would just use some kind of protective stuff to have over it and then have it in my pocket... But with the phone I got now I hope It will break so I can get a new one soon Very Happy I have had it for 3 years and getting kind of bored with it. It's a Sony Ericsson W810i btw xD
tahayassen

Angel
deanhills
I used to have a very thick see through plastic covering, then two years ago let go of it, and my Nokia phone seem to have survived quite OK. It must have fallen maybe four or five times on really hard floor over the six years I've owned it, so I think it's been designed to be pretty indestructible. Unlike the smart phones of today with fancy touch screens. Those would probably stand a good chance of cracking if they should fall on cement floors and probably need a very solid covering of sorts.
darthrevan
I am personally using Zagg's Invisibleshield and I must say it is great so far, though this is the first day of using it. though I am liking how it feels when I am typing on my phone. I have also used my finger nail on it and no scratch like it advertises.

I would recommend it to somebody that wants to protect their screen. I bought it from Radio Shack for thirty one dollars and some change including taxes. Also the girl at the counter offered to put it on for free so I allowed her to, since putting these screen protectors on can be a huge pain. Glad I got to avoid putting it on. Smile
inuyasha
Silicon skin only~ Too much protection may be annoying~ Wink
Cosmoslayer
Putting it back on its box after using it. XD
deanhills
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Excellent suggestion ... particularly for those fancy touch phones. Laughing

Mine's fallen quite a number of times on hard concrete. I have this habit of putting it in my top shirt pocket and when I bend over to pick something up it sometimes falls out. It's not a fancy phone, an old Nokia 1100 of 2004. And both phone and battery are still going strong.

Having said that however I need to upgrade, and since I've had the very occasional accident with the phone falling - not many, but easy to happen - probably will make that a focus when I buy a replacement. I believe one gets some really great covers, so will look at that first before I buy the new phone.
darthrevan
I currently have the universal invisiblesheield on my face of my phone to protect it. I usually keep my phone in my pocket. So far it has worked our fine for me
linux1993
I don't want to use any case to protect my phone. because it's very uncomfortable. Ijust clean the dust around phone to toucn smoothly.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Excellent suggestion ... particularly for those fancy touch phones. Laughing

Mine's fallen quite a number of times on hard concrete. I have this habit of putting it in my top shirt pocket and when I bend over to pick something up it sometimes falls out. It's not a fancy phone, an old Nokia 1100 of 2004. And both phone and battery are still going strong.

Having said that however I need to upgrade, and since I've had the very occasional accident with the phone falling - not many, but easy to happen - probably will make that a focus when I buy a replacement. I believe one gets some really great covers, so will look at that first before I buy the new phone.

May be arguable, but invisible the best screen protector you can get. It can't be scratched and if it ever does for some reason the manufacturer will replace it according to their warranty. Currently I don't use a case since with my phone model, it doesn't have many to choose from, let alone a good on like otterbox.