FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox not downloading files

Tony The Tiger
I am currently unable to download files in my firefox browser in general. The only way that I can download is to use the IE Tab file extension to convert a Firefox tab into an embedded Internet Explorer tab. This seems to fool the browser. Places where I have had the problem include downloading files in regular Firefox tabs from flickr.com and downloading the latest update for my Adobe Flash Player. These examples all worked flawlessly in the embedded tab with the IE Tab file extension.
HalfBloodPrince
Can you detail the problem a little more? What does/does not happen when you try downloading something? Does it immediately say the download has finished, does it do nothing at all?
blueray
Did you mean that only those two website failed to downloading files ?

The later one should be fine as you could download it from adobe web site and install directly from the desktop.

For the flicker, can you detail it a bit. What messages do you see it both for type of typical / error.

Thanks,
Tony The Tiger
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Can you detail the problem a little more? What does/does not happen when you try downloading something? Does it immediately say the download has finished, does it do nothing at all?

Right now if I right click on an image on flickr.com there is no option available to save the image. If I right click on an image in a wikipedia article I get an option to "Save image as", but when I select that option nothing happens. The problems vary from website to website and filetype to filetype. When I try to download software, I get the box prompting me to save the file. However, when I hit O.K. to initiate the download, nothing happens.
the zephyrus
1. Are you on the latest version?
If not, upgrade first.
2. Does this issue still occur with all extensions disabled?
If not, turn them on one by one until you find the cause.
3. Can you download something by going to a download link? What happens if you type a downloadable url into the address bar?
aningbo
Quote:
If not, upgrade first.
3. Can you download something by going to a download link? What happens if you type a downloadable url into the address bar?

and then, have you tried 'right click' link and then choosing the options to download the file.

m sure it will work.
Tony The Tiger
aningbo wrote:
Quote:
If not, upgrade first.

and then, have you tried 'right click' link and then choosing the options to download the file.

m sure it will work.

I am using 3.5.5. It seems that you are suggesting that one of my addons is interfering with downloading and that in order to solve the problem, I need to eliminate possibilities one at a time. This seems logical. In fact, it would probably work. However, I have about 25 downloads. I am not going to spend that much time on the issue since right now it can be solved by simply switching to IE view for whatever tab I am in that I want to download from. If I get desperate (I.E, if this IE view stops solving the problem) your solution is next in line.

BTW, I am not sure what you are asking in part 3.
guggs
Yet another place where Firefox makes surfing foxing difficult when it should be easy. Stick with IE mate - if we'd all done that then these annoying minority software providers would have died off years ago and everybody's life would be a damned sight easier.
Tony The Tiger
guggs wrote:
Yet another place where Firefox makes surfing foxing difficult when it should be easy. Stick with IE mate - if we'd all done that then these annoying minority software providers would have died off years ago and everybody's life would be a damned sight easier.

Firefox is better at a lot of other things than IE and I don't know why it has this one glitch suddenly showing up.
guissmo
Maybe some virus tweaked it around or something.
Tony The Tiger
guissmo wrote:
Maybe some virus tweaked it around or something.

I am starting to have some other performance issues. I will probably reformat my hard drive in the next few weeks. It will probably fix the firefox issue.