FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux Video Captue !!

MM357
Guys .. anyone knows how to capture video (or even see the video output) from a device on linux ??

I have a TV tuner card with AV-IN feature .. You just need to plug in the Video-in cable (from whatever device) into the card and it does the work .. now, how can I see the video output of my card on linux ..

I thought their might be someway to do so using any player (like mplayer or vlc) .. maybe like that :-

Code:
# mplayer /dev/tvcard/video-out

I know I am dreaming if it's that easy Smile .. but I didn't find a device out there in /dev .. at least with the names I expected

Any help to see or capture video output ??
-----------

EDIT (5,Nov,2009-9:00AM-GMT)

Got it , here is what I did :

1- first installed v4l, v4l-tools(xawtv) with its dependencies (I m using OpenSuse and its "Yast" installation system made that easy)

2- after that comes the variable part, (if this seems hard I think going to step three may have done it without this step)
in shell, I typed :
Code:
# lsmod | grep saa7134

if there is an output for this we should go through this
Code:
# rmmod saa7134

then or if no output for lsmod above then we go to next command
Code:
# modprobe saa7134 card=2 tuner=39

Important : this configuration helped with my "lifeview flytv prime 30FM" .. u should go here and search for your card model : LinuxTV Wiki Homepage

3- then run this (of course with mplayer installed Smile )
Code:
# mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:input=3:amode=1

Important : according to ur card u may need to adjust different settings (i.e. device=/dev/video1:input=0/adevice=bla/bla)

Hope this will be helpful to anyone who encounter a likely issue.
Diablosblizz
Just wondering: I bought a TV Tuner yesterday (Sabrent 7130 or something) and it's horrible, which one do you have and is the quality good?
blueray
Thanks you for you post back the solution. Smile

I do have an TV that works with my windows system but I don't know
how to start to make it running with linux.

An question is: what the minimum requirement of the v4l package ?
I ask this because I'am still using an very older linux for leanring purpose.
So that the v4l package might not work on it.

or, where can I download its source code this way I can complier it my self
and try to see if it is works on my computer.

Thanks,
MM357
Diablosblizz wrote:
Just wondering: I bought a TV Tuner yesterday (Sabrent 7130 or something) and it's horrible, which one do you have and is the quality good?

My card is "LifeView FlyTV Prime 30/30FM" here is its official page

About the quality, I m using it just as a video in device to watch satellite channels on PC without a TV set, I mean I just plugged the video out of the receiver into the video in of the card, but I didn't yet attach an antenna for watching local TV or Radio

So the quality isn't that bad, of course not same as a TV set, but also more than enough to watch and capture video, Ican even watch full-screen without seeing any signals of low quality.

BTW, from the name of your card I guess we have the same chip on board, you can find more info about it here.

blueray wrote:
Thanks you for you post back the solution. Smile

I do have an TV that works with my windows system but I don't know
how to start to make it running with linux.

An question is: what the minimum requirement of the v4l package ?
I ask this because I'am still using an very older linux for leanring purpose.
So that the v4l package might not work on it.

or, where can I download its source code this way I can complier it my self
and try to see if it is works on my computer.

Thanks,

I think v4l come with most famous distributions, so I think u better find an rpm or deb package for ur distribution, Otherwise u may go here http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/ and find ur way, or u can just get an rpm that suits ur system architecture and extract binary files from it to ur system.

After having v4l installed all u gonna need is a player like mplayer.

If u have an output after typing this in shell
Code:
# lsmod |grep saa7134

Then I suggest that u try this directly (if u have mplayer installed)
Code:
# mplayer tv://

I think it may work with other players too, not sure though ..

Good luck .. and I 'll be glad to help furthermore.
MM357
During all those trials above, I used my sound card to hear audio from the receiver, using a small jack converter (from Audio-OUT red and white jacks to normal audio jack like the one joining speakers to sound card)

The problem that I wanted to record video with audio using mencoder (just because this is what I know most among all other capture/encoding software), I didn't know how to tell mencoder (definitely the v4l2 driver) to capture audio from alsa.

This seemed hard, but at last I found that it was a small mistake of mine .. All what I had to do is to use an alsamixer GUI (I use gamix instead) to set the Capture Input to Mic (where I had plugged my Audio jack from the receiver) and adjust capture value to a reasonable one, then use thiss command :

Code:
#  mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:input=3:alsa:adevice=hw.0,0:immediatemode=0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=800000:vqscale=0 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=96 -of avi -o epesode1.avi -endpos 00:30:00

The suboption "alsa" tells v4l2 to capture audio.
"adevice" identifies alsa hardware address o capture from
"immediatemode" tells v4l2 to stream/capture audio with video (if I understood this well)

"endpos" tells mencoder to stop recording after a period, here it is 30 minutes. (also used with mplayer to stop playing after a specific period)

Now, I can also use the same v4l2 suboptions in mplayer to hear audio through it, but this doesn't really make difference, as I used to get it anyway with enabling the microphone output in alsamixer.