FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats a Good Gaming PC to get?

Ryox
I don't care of its a Laptop or a Desktop, I just need to know what a good gaming PC is. With all the hardware Upgrades, Etc.

My laptop is a

Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit
Acer Extensa 5620
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU @ 1.50Ghz (2 CPUS) 1.50Ghz

Video / Sound is Onboard, but it sucks x-x
fadirocks
best gaming PC is the one you build but if you're looking for a brand name PC
I would go with a system that has a vid card from the ATi 5800 series
also I wouldn't trust Acer in anything and stay away from some of the Intel P55 motherboard they're having some issues with USB connectivity I would go for total AMD system, i would also stay away from nforce chipset as I had some issues with those too

I found a decent laptop from HP carrying Turion something 2.2GHz with ATi 4200 and it was pretty cheap
David_Pardy
These are the specs I was looking at to build a new computer if I was to do so today (which I'm not, I will in about 8 months though)

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Black edition if you want to overclock, I don't know how easy they are to get though)
Motherboard - Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (Or whatever suits your needs...)
HDD - Seagate 1TB (I'll always recommend Seagate, and they've solved the firmware issues with the >1TB drives now)
RAM - 4GB - G-Skill.Trident (Or whatever...)
Video - 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 (better and cheaper than a single 5870)
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 750W (this is the best priced good quality 750W PSU I can get)

Monitor - BenQ G2420HD-2ms (24", 1920x1080)
Optical - Pioneer SATA Blu Ray Combo (burns DVDs, plays Blu Ray Very Happy)
Sound - Auzentech X-FI Forte (there is probably no better sound card on the market for gaming)

You'd also want a set of Logitech Z-640 speakers to go with all this. If you already have a mid tower case with good cooling you probably wouldn't need to get a new case, but I just got the Thermaltake V9 case to replace my OEM one and it's made a huge difference temperature wise. That being said, newer OEM cases have better cooling than my old one.

Total price for this system in Australian dollars comes at about $1870 not including the speakers. I imagine in the US you could probably build a similar machine for about $1000

If you want to get serious about building a gaming PC (and you MUST build one, don't waste your money on an OEM system) then this is pretty much what you need to aim for to future proof yourself, and you'll be getting a fantastic machine at that Smile
william
For the best gaming performance, you ought to be building your own desktop. However, the components you choose strongly depend on your budget. Lower budgets might put you in the Phenom or Core 2 Quad sector while a midrange budget should get you right to a Core i5. Move up a bit and you'll get the most from Core i7s. Graphics, caries. I would suggest an HD 5800 series card, but again, depends on budget. I can give you multiple suggestions if I knew how much you willing to spend. Very Happy
David_Pardy
As I said, two 5770s running in Crossfire provide better performance for cheaper than a 5870.

At least, going by the benchmarks on Guru of 3D
fadirocks
but then burning more power and requiring a fatter PSU and missing out on DirectX 11
David_Pardy
Nope, the 5770s run DirectX 11 so no problem there.

I agree about the extra power usage though, but a 750w good quality supply should be plenty and most people are running no less than 650 on high end rigs anyway
ForceRun
I'm thinking that the best combo out right now is the Intel Core i7 or i5 with a 5xxx ati card. Nvidia is my standard pick, but Ati real has them beat until Nvidia releases their new 3xx cards Q1 or Q2 of 2010.

Quick question, what games are you thinking about running? It can help to decide what hardware to invest in, for example: RTS = CPU, FPS = Video Card, WoW = Dell

For you gamers out there, and power users, consider getting a SSD. The whole computer experience is so much nicer, and so speedy with one of these drives. Once you get one you will notice the change probably more than any other hardware upgrade.
weableandbob
The absolute best would be something like four gtx 295's with quad SLI with two i7's, but that would be incredibly expensive. a gtx 280 and a 2+ gHz quad core should do just fine.
David_Pardy
More than two graphics cards at this point in time is a waste of money and power.

You run into driver issues and the performance scaling just isn't good enough to justify the extra cost.

If you want to spend money on getting the best performance possible, then go for two 295 cards in SLI or two ATI 5870 cards in Crossfire