FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Election 2009

jmi256
It looks like voters showed their rejection of liberal ideology in yesterday’s election when they elected Republicans in the two governors races (New Jersey and Virginia). Democrats and other liberals have been trying to minimize the damage to Obama by claiming it wasn’t a rejection of him per se, but I believe that the two go hand in hand. People are showing that they do reject his tax-and-spend policies, especially since they mean even higher taxes, higher unemployment and spending money we just don’t have. The 2010 midterm election seem like they are far off, but many of those candidates are already starting to campaign. Hopefully they see the results of yesterday’s elections and take away the lesson that we have had enough and that we want our elected officials to return to a commonsense approach.

Quote:
GOP sweep: Big governor victories in Virginia, NJ

WASHINGTON – Independents who swept Barack Obama to a historic 2008 victory broke big for Republicans on Tuesday as the GOP wrested political control from Democrats in Virginia and New Jersey, a troubling sign for the president and his party heading into an important midterm election year.

Conservative Republican Bob McDonnell's victory in the Virginia governor's race over Democrat R. Creigh Deeds and moderate Republican Chris Christie's ouster of unpopular New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine was a double-barreled triumph for a party looking to rebuild after being booted from power in national elections in 2006 and 2008.

----------

The president had personally campaigned for Deeds and Corzine, seeking to ensure that independents and base voters alike turned out even if he wasn't on the ballot — and voters still rejected them. Thus, the losses were blots on Obama's political standing to a certain degree and suggested potential problems ahead as he seeks to achieve his policy goals, protect Democratic majorities in Congress and expand his party's grip on governors' seats next fall.

----------

More than four in 10 voters in Virginia said their view of Obama factored into their choice on Tuesday, and those voters roughly split between expressing support and opposition for the president. People who said they disapprove of Obama's job performance voted overwhelmingly Republican, and those who approve of the president favored Deeds, the Democrat.

The Obama factor was similar in New Jersey, though there were slightly more voters who said the president did not factor into their choice.

Source = http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_election_rdp

Quote:
Christie Gives GOP Stunning Win In N.J.
By Defeating Incumbent, Former U.S. Attorney Deals Blow To President Obama, Who Carried The State Easily In 2008

In the end, all the stumping in the world from the President of the United States wasn't going to stop regime change in New Jersey's highest office.

Republican Chris Christie ended Democrat Jon Corzine's four-year run in Trenton with a narrow victory on Tuesday. Independent Chris Daggett, thought of by many as the wildcard who could upset the order of things by siphoning off votes from Christie, finished well back.

With nearly all precincts reporting, Christie led Corzine 49 percent to 44 percent. The party started just after 11 p.m. in Parsippany.

-----------

Christie's win will likely be perceived as a big defeat for the White House. President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden had stumped for Corzine several times during the campaign, and they had hoped the result would speak positively to the job they are doing in Washington.

-----------

Many New Jerseyans said they were eager for change in a state where property taxes are causing so much unrest.

"I'm struggling to pay my rent. I couldn't stay in my house, I couldn't afford it, not with the taxes the way they were," said "Jeanie," a Paramus resident who withheld her last name.

Ken Torsland, a Vietnam vet, told CBS 2 HD he was voting Republican across the board, save for a Democrat who is a friend. It's a referendum, he said, on President Obama's administration.

"I think Democrats are showing a total disregard to what I hear from friends, family, and people who surround me," he said.

Source = http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/chris.christie.nj.2.1290144.html
ocalhoun
jmi256 wrote:
It looks like voters showed their rejection of liberal ideology in yesterday’s election when they elected Republicans in the two governors races

But why can't they remember things long enough to reject both?

I guess it's because third options have been systematically marginalized. Most people see a choice between two evils, not a choice between two evils and several other options.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
jmi256 wrote:
It looks like voters showed their rejection of liberal ideology in yesterday’s election when they elected Republicans in the two governors races

But why can't they remember things long enough to reject both?

I guess it's because third options have been systematically marginalized. Most people see a choice between two evils, not a choice between two evils and several other options.
I thought that the election of Governors and Mayor had more to do with the personalities of the people who are standing for election, than the parties they are representing? I.e., it could well be that even Democrats could have voted for Republican Governors or Mayor or the other way round, as they could have voted for the stronger candidate of the two candidates who were standing regardless of the parties they are members off?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
, as they could have voted for the stronger candidate of the two candidates who were standing regardless of the parties they are members off?

They could, but really, most will arbitrarily decide that 'their' candidate is the better one, without bothering to look for any evidence to the contrary.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
, as they could have voted for the stronger candidate of the two candidates who were standing regardless of the parties they are members off?

They could, but really, most will arbitrarily decide that 'their' candidate is the better one, without bothering to look for any evidence to the contrary.
I'm not as knowledgeable about New Jersey and Virginia, but I know that the Democrats are in a majority in the NYC Council by 48 to 3. Yet the City obviously had much more confidence in Bloomberg (Republican and Independent) than they had in Thompson (Democrat)?