FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Signature acceptable?

Diablosblizz
I'm just wondering if my current signature is acceptable for the forums, I don't want to get a AWIT again. Sad
mOrpheuS

FRIHost Forum Rules wrote:
The total file size of all the images in your signature (taken together) may not be bigger than 50kb.

Neutral
HalfBloodPrince
But the extra 31 KB he's taking up won't hurt anybody right? Razz
Bondings
It actually does hurt quite a bit. There can be 30 posts on a page. If everyone has a signature of about 80KB, that results in a bit less than 2.5MB per page, signatures alone. Even on a small dsl connection this takes a while, let alone on dial-up or similar speeds (and yes quite a lot of people don't have much better than dial-up).
rvec
31kb per pageview
all topics you posted in combined will surely get over 500 pageviews per day
500x31kb=15.5mb
30 days x 15.5 mb = 456mb extra bandwidth per month

So if only 20 users would have a signature like yours and be active in some of the more-watched topics, it would take about as much bandwidth more than if you have a normal signature as any frihost user gets per month.
truespeed
The total file size of all the images in your signature (taken together) may not be bigger than 50kb.

rvec your signature is 53kb. I can't do the math for the extra 3kb x page views/topics though.
rvec
truespeed wrote:

rvec your signature is 53kb. I can't do the math for the extra 3kb x page views/topics though.
I removed the image, didn't check the size before copy-pasting the url in my sig. Thx for noticing.
ocalhoun

There's a better version for you.
Just saved it as a JPG, and even at very low compression, it is still only 24KB.
deanhills
I'm confused. I thought a signature that exceeded 50kb would automatically be rejected? Mine has always been, or so I thought?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
I'm confused. I thought a signature that exceeded 50kb would automatically be rejected? Mine has always been, or so I thought?

I think you mean avatar (the picture below your username). That one is uploaded to our website. The signature is bbcode just like the posts and simply links to an image. We don't automatically check the signatures.

Of course the server could automatically download signature images to check them, but this isn't optimal (like when the image is down), can be cheated (just serve a different image to the server ip) and also abused (to let the server download an image).
Diablosblizz
Whoops, I didn't even realize that my image was too big. I was just wondeirng if the text made it over three-lines, nonetheless I've removed it!
mOrpheuS
Diablosblizz wrote:
Whoops, I didn't even realize that my image was too big. I was just wondeirng if the text made it over three-lines, nonetheless I've removed it!

The dimensions of your signature were well within the limits, it was the byte-size that was not.

You can always use a more compressed version of the same image.
Like the one Ocalhoun has posted a few posts above.
cr3ativ3
rvec wrote:
31kb per pageview
all topics you posted in combined will surely get over 500 pageviews per day
500x31kb=15.5mb
30 days x 15.5 mb = 456mb extra bandwidth per month

So if only 20 users would have a signature like yours and be active in some of the more-watched topics, it would take about as much bandwidth more than if you have a normal signature as any frihost user gets per month.

This wouldnt be taken out of the Frihost b/w though, as the image is hosted else where. Which is one reason why as mentioned previously the Avatar upload system restricts disk size. So that way its not a huge issue, but it still slows page loading time for other innocent Frihost users browsing topics.