FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Copyright statement update.

ocalhoun
The very last line on every page in the forums:
Quote:
2005-2007 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.

It should, perhaps, be updated to 2009, hm? Or perhaps wait a couple months and change it to 2010.
Arty
What do the dates of the copyright statement mean anyway? Are they the dates the copyright was created or last updated?
deanhills
It is good for it to be up to date, however I doubt it makes a difference. The "original" created content of Frihost belongs to Frihost, whether there is a copyright line or not. I found a good article on the Web that explains it very well and is well worth reading:
Quote:
As a preliminary matter, it is important to remember that copyright protects original works of authorship fixed in a tangible film, and that a work does not become subject to copyright protection through registration. Rather, copyright protection exists in an eligible work from the moment of fixation. That means, the moment you put something in "fixed" form, whether it be by writing it down, recording it, or taking a photo of it, the work has copyright protection.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
It is good for it to be up to date, however I doubt it makes a difference. The "original" created content of Frihost belongs to Frihost, whether there is a copyright line or not. I found a good article on the Web that explains it very well and is well worth reading:
Quote:
As a preliminary matter, it is important to remember that copyright protects original works of authorship fixed in a tangible film, and that a work does not become subject to copyright protection through registration. Rather, copyright protection exists in an eligible work from the moment of fixation. That means, the moment you put something in "fixed" form, whether it be by writing it down, recording it, or taking a photo of it, the work has copyright protection.

Yes, of course it is still protected, despite any dates. Just figured it was showing the age a bit, like back in the 90's, when websites would put a 'last updated on _______' at the bottom of the page.
ProwerBot
ocalhoun wrote:
The very last line on every page in the forums:
Quote:
2005-2007 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.

It should, perhaps, be updated to 2009, hm? Or perhaps wait a couple months and change it to 2010.

This is old... but it says that because that was the time PhpBB2 was around.

PhpBB3 has been released since 2007, that is why it says that....

though it should be changed if possible 2005-2010 or however long this site has been around.
Bondings
I'll change it next time I update the file, although I'll probably wait until 2010, it's not that long anymore. Wink
AftershockVibe
If I were doing this anyway I'd just update it to read the current year from PHP's date() function. Technically cheating but nevermind Wink

Code:
<?php
echo '&copy; 2005-' . date('Y') . ' Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.';
?>
Asap170
AftershockVibe wrote:
If I were doing this anyway I'd just update it to read the current year from PHP's date() function. Technically cheating but nevermind Wink

Code:
<?php
?>

Haha that's pretty smart of you. That's a good idea though. Why not make everything automatic instead of doing it the old fashioned way!
Bondings
Asap170 wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:

Code:
<?php
?>

Haha that's pretty smart of you. That's a good idea though. Why not make everything automatic instead of doing it the old fashioned way!

I almost did that a few years ago, but as AftershockVibe mentioned, it felt too much like cheating to me. Wink
Asap170
Bondings wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:

Code:
<?php
?>

I almost did that a few years ago, but as AftershockVibe mentioned, it felt too much like cheating to me. Wink

So you just prefer the old fashioned way in coding Bondings?
Bondings
If for some reason the date is wrong on the system (or wrongly displayed), it can give funny results. A hard-coded value won't. Besides, a lot of websites do it this way and it seems a bit artificial if the date changes the first second of the new year.
AftershockVibe
Bondings wrote:
If for some reason the date is wrong on the system (or wrongly displayed), it can give funny results. A hard-coded value won't. Besides, a lot of websites do it this way and it seems a bit artificial if the date changes the first second of the new year.

The first part is a good justification. As for the second part... if the person who notices has nothing better to do at midnight on New Years Eve other than watch the Frihost copyright notice while hitting F5, you probably don't care what they think Wink

Edit: 1000th post! Hmm, maybe I should have written something less snarky and more profound! Razz