FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Numismatics

yagnyavalkya
Are there any people here who are interested in numismatics
I am a coin collector and would like to exchange information of old coins
jwellsy
I collect silver and gold coins for the metal content, not the rarity value. A silver dollar is one ounce of almost pure silver, so at swap meets I pick up old circulated silver dollars for whatever the spot is or less.

A historical reference for the value of an ounce of gold has always been worth a mans fine suit of clothes. And an ounce of silver is supposed to be worth a nice steak, but it's been undervalued in the last several years.
coolclay
If you are going to collect things for there metal content than coins definitely are not it. Usually even circulated coins sell for more than the going price for bullion. Where the money really is when it comes too metal content is jewelery. Especially at estate auctions and such. Sometimes people just throw old jewelery out not even knowing it is real. I have dumpster dived so much gold and silver jewelry over the years it's not even funny! Regardless I am also into numismatics a bit and have a decent collections of most coins from 1900 to the present. Nothing of tremendous value but regardless its a good investment.
jwellsy
coolclay wrote:
If you are going to collect things for there metal content than coins definitely are not it. Usually even circulated coins sell for more than the going price for bullion.

At swap meets you can buy them for spot or less. You have to do some looking and talking. I do it at just about every swap meet and flea market I go to. A dealer buys coins at way less than spot (like half) from people. So, if i offer spot or a little less they usually go for it because that's more than a dealer will give them for it. they get some cash and I walk out with a little bag of silver.

In a post apocalyptic economy I think it would be easier to trade silver coins for goods and services than jewelry of questionable value. If I spend $1000 on circulated coins at spot, I'll always have that same trade-able wealth in units that others will understand the value of. Jewelry has historically had one of the highest markups in price compared to the real value. I would not like being in a position to have to convince someone about a piece of jewelry that may or may not be real. Sometimes you can buy gold chains by weight at spot, then to sell it you would have to prove weight and purity. You're more comfortable trading jewelry than I am, that doesn't make me wrong. I just think that coins are harder to counterfeit than bullion or jewelery.

A metal detector would be a good investment/hobby to find gold, coins and jewelery.
keppryy
Numismatics (Latin: numisma, nomisma, "coin"; from the Greek: νομίζειν nomízein, "to use according to law") is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects. While numismatists are often characterized as students or collectors of coins, the discipline also includes the broader study of money and other payment media used to resolve debts and the exchange of goods. Lacking a structured monetary system, people in the past lived in a barter society and used locally-found items of inherent or implied value. A few people today still use bartering in absence of a monetary system. Early money used by people is referred to as "Odd and Curious", but the use of other goods in barter exchange is excluded, even where used as a circulating currency (e.g., cigarettes in prison). The Kyrgyz people used horses as the principal currency unit and gave small change in lambskins.[1] The lambskins may be suitable for numismatic study, but the horse is not. Many objects have been used for centuries, such as cowry shells, precious metals and gems.

Today, most transactions take place by a form of payment with either inherent, standardized or credit value. Numismatic value may be used to refer to the value in excess of the monetary value conferred by law. This is also known as the "collector's value" or "intrinsic value." For example, a collector may be willing to pay far more than 50 cents for a U.S. Half dollar coin, given their low circulation.

Economic and historical studies of money's use and development are an integral part of the numismatists' study of money's physical embodiment.
if you would like to know, enjoy
crimson_aria
I keep coins especially the old ones and the ones from different countries. I don't really consider myself a collector, I just enjoy having and keeping them. I don't find them or anything, I keep them when these coins come to me. hehe
yagnyavalkya
Deleted