FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Right wing fringe Tea Partiers taking over GOP?

handfleisch
Rachel Maddow of MSNBC has a report you can watch here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9ncTzmToU
which I summarize here:

For the first time in a long time, New York's 23rd district will not be run by the Republican party. That's because the rightist "Conservative Party" candidate has caused the moderate Republican candidate to bow out of the race and endorse the Democratic candidate. How does the GOP respond? Incredibly, by endorsing the Conservative Party candidate and running ads for him full of Tea Party-type language. The Conservative Party candidate, the apparently incompetent Doug Hoffman, happens to be a big fan of, and endorsed by, raving lunatic Glenn Beck of Fox (not)News. Plus the supposedly nonpartisan Tea Party organizer lobbyist group, Americans for Prosperity, are now working with fringe-nut Republican Michele Bachman on organizing a new Tea Party day, with the blessings of the Congressional leadership. All of which is tends to show that the Republican Party is being taken over by the right wing fringe. Which Democrats view generally as good news, because the fringe has alienated a lot of moderate Republicans. However, there is a danger that the new right-wing base of the Republican Party will be more active in organizing for upcoming elections than the now-complacent Democratic base.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
However, there is a danger that the new right-wing base of the Republican Party will be more active in organizing for upcoming elections than the now-complacent Democratic base.
I totally agree with you on this one. Also, I firmly believe the Republicans will be bleeding lots more before they start to get themselves together again. Right now the rightists are doing well, because of the complacency, or perhaps better put, lack of direction and leadership of the Republican "democrats". Obama is moving gradually out of his honeymoon period however, and by month 18 of his Presidency when people start to criticize more and blame more, people being people, the Republican democrats may get more focussed and better organized. The predictable pendulum will start to swing in the direction of the Republicans again. Very gradually initially. I doubt they will do well with the next election, but after Obama's second Presidency they may be much stronger.
ocalhoun
Why does nobody name this 'conservative party' I read an article about this earlier (possibly not the same one) which called it 'a tiny conservative party', but they don't give the name of it!

Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, or even Fascist, I don't care really. Our government would benefit greatly from breaking up the two-party-only deadlock that has held for too long.
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
Why does nobody name this 'conservative party' I read an article about this earlier (possibly not the same one) which called it 'a tiny conservative party', but they don't give the name of it!

Yes they do. It is the Conservative Party, as I put in my post and as mentioned in Maddow's show.
handfleisch
News: The Conservative Party candidate, Doug Hoffman has lost to the Democrat.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=50947
Quote:
Bill Owens beats Doug Hoffman, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh

It's a defeat for the Republicans who endorsed him, for the right wing fringe (Republicans and otherwise) who pushed him, and another sign of the disintegration of the US Republican Party (since their responsible conservative candidate actually resigned and endorse the Democrat, and the Repubs made the strange move of endorsing Hoffman.)

From Hoffman's website---
http://www.doughoffmanforcongress.com/home.html

His issues, and that's really the right word in this case:
Quote:
# Gay Marriage
# Bank Bailout Hoffman: No; Scozzafava: Yes
# No Pork Pledge.
# ACORN
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yes they do. It is the Conservative Party, as I put in my post and as mentioned in Maddow's show.

wikipedia wrote:
The Conservative and Unionist Party, more commonly known as the Conservatives, the Conservative Party, or Tory Party is a conservative political party in the United Kingdom. Founded in its present form during the early 19th century, it has since been the principal party of the political right in Britain, and it is the oldest political party in the world.

That Conservative party? Couldn't be... or they'd be making a big deal about the cross-Atlantic link...

Oh well, I'm still happy to see other choices on the ballot besides Republican or Democrat.
SonLight
ocalhoun wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

wikipedia wrote:
The Conservative and Unionist Party, more commonly known as the Conservatives, the Conservative Party, or Tory Party is a conservative political party in the United Kingdom. Founded in its present form during the early 19th century, it has since been the principal party of the political right in Britain, and it is the oldest political party in the world.

That Conservative party? Couldn't be... or they'd be making a big deal about the cross-Atlantic link...

Oh well, I'm still happy to see other choices on the ballot besides Republican or Democrat.

No, not that one. I tried google which couldn't unscramble candidate from party, then asked Wikepedia: "Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman". It provided an answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_New_York

which says,

Wikipedia wrote:
American political party active in the state of New York. It is not part of any nationwide party, nor is it affiliated with the American Conservative Party, which it predates by over 40 years.

and
Quote:
No Republican has won statewide office in New York without Conservative Party support since 1974.

Apparently it is unusual for the party to run their own candidate. They usually endorse major party candidates of whom they approve, occasionally even Democrats. They are strictly a New York state organization.