FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell Cheated me

nivinjoy
I had brought a new Dell Studio 15 laptop with 4GB RAM and 500 GB hard disk hoping a lot and expecting a lot..!! I had thought a 4 GB RAM would give me a very good speed..!! But the system doesn't give me the speed even as much as a 1 GB system gives, which i have in my workplace..!! The most sad thing is that the CD drive is the worst and it doesn't even play some cd's and if i try to play them the system hangs and the final solution is to do hard booting..!!

Dell has cheated me and i had sent a email to their support email id and i didn't get any response till now..!! Is there any other way in which i could get support..??

If you guys know any other way please help me out..!!
metalfreek
If you have bought it from dell showroom then go back there and throw that laptop in their face. (just kidding) Go to their showroom and ask for a replacement. They generally repair the damaged piece but who knows you might get a replacement.
adri
nivinjoy wrote:
I had thought a 4 GB RAM would give me a very good speed..!!

You should also check the Ghz of your processor (and actually also the speed (rpm) of your hard drive).

Quote:

The most sad thing is that the CD drive is the worst and it doesn't even play some cd's and if i try to play them the system hangs and the final solution is to do hard booting..!!

It could be that your software is the problem... aka missing codecs, programs,...

Adri Smile
nivinjoy
metalfreek wrote:
If you have bought it from dell showroom then go back there and throw that laptop in their face. (just kidding) Go to their showroom and ask for a replacement. They generally repair the damaged piece but who knows you might get a replacement.

I bought it directly from Dell not from a showroom..!! That is the main problem..otherwise i could have yelled at the showroom guy..!!
nivinjoy
adri wrote:
nivinjoy wrote:
I had thought a 4 GB RAM would give me a very good speed..!!

You should also check the Ghz of your processor (and actually also the speed (rpm) of your hard drive).

My processor is Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T6600 and Hard Drive is 500GB 25400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Quote:

The most sad thing is that the CD drive is the worst and it doesn't even play some cd's and if i try to play them the system hangs and the final solution is to do hard booting..!!

Quote:
It could be that your software is the problem... aka missing codecs, programs,...

Adri Smile

what software you mean..??
mOrpheuS
nivinjoy wrote:
My processor is Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T6600 and Hard Drive is 500GB 25400RPM SATA Hard Drive

That's pretty standard for a mid-end laptop and should definitely give you better performance than what you've described in the first post.

Try removing all the pointless software/utilities that Dell have pre-installed into your laptop.
That will give you a level playing field.

nivinjoy wrote:
the system doesn't give me the speed even as much as a 1 GB system gives, which i have in my workplace..!!

It will help if you could tell us what kind of "speed" you're talking about.
What exactly is slower on your laptop ? User interface ? benchmarks ? application startup times ?

p.s. - I'm assuming you meant 5400 rpm - not 25400 rpm.
nivinjoy
mOrpheuS wrote:

nivinjoy wrote:
the system doesn't give me the speed even as much as a 1 GB system gives, which i have in my workplace..!!

It will help if you could tell us what kind of "speed" you're talking about.
What exactly is slower on your laptop ? User interface ? benchmarks ? application startup times ?

Exactly ..!! The user interface is slow..!!

mOrpheuS wrote:

p.s. - I'm assuming you meant 5400 rpm - not 25400 rpm.

Oops i am sorry and you are right..!! I meant 5400 rpm..!!
Fire Boar
Okay, did your computer come with any software installed?

- What operating system does it use?
- Is there some humongous monster CPU-chewing process running such as Norton Anti-Virus?
- Is your graphics card driver installed? If you're not sure, what's the highest resolution/colour setting you can choose?
saratdear
You got a system with all the preinstalled stuff from Dell right? Like OS, other software right? And it has been slow from day 1?

Try defragging hard drive, virus scan, etc. although if it is a new system... Confused
Fire Boar
What I'm thinking is that this might be a system with no drivers or software pre-installed. It's a stretch, but it could happen. In that case, it would seem slow because the CPU is rendering the graphics rather than the graphics card.
the zephyrus
Dell in general has been crappy in my experience. Even so, it seems like you have problems out of the ordinary. Have you tried reinstalling the os, drivers, and all software? It's unlikely you have a major hardware failure this early on, but if you do, better to find it while the warranty still exists.
aningbo
Quote:
I had brought a new Dell Studio 15 laptop with 4GB RAM and 500 GB hard disk hoping a lot and expecting a lot..!! I had thought a 4 GB RAM would give me a very good speed..!! But the system doesn't give me the speed even as much as a 1 GB system gives, which i have in my workplace..!! The most sad thing is that the CD drive is the worst and it doesn't even play some cd's and if i try to play them the system hangs and the final solution is to do hard booting..!!

Dell has cheated me and i had sent a email to their support email id and i didn't get any response till now..!! Is there any other way in which i could get support..??

sorry to hear that. does this happen from the first day? try reformatting and then try it out again. see if thats any better. why don't u post complete detail about your laptop?
nivinjoy
aningbo wrote:

sorry to hear that. does this happen from the first day? try reformatting and then try it out again. see if thats any better. why don't u post complete detail about your laptop?

Ok..that is wat my friends also told me... Will the Factory Image Restore help this issue..?? Will the speed increase..??

And also will all the data including all drives be deleted..??
FunDa
Oh ... Was it slow from the beginning ?

Check if the RAm and processor speed are showing u in the computer properties.

Right click "My Computer" and "properties"

It should show the processor Ghz and RAM in GB

If its not showing the 4 GB that it should, probably one of the RAM modules is damaged and not recognised.

Also check for unneccessary software running and also for viruses, which can slow down a computer sooo much.
nivinjoy
FunDa wrote:
Oh ... Was it slow from the beginning ?

Check if the RAm and processor speed are showing u in the computer properties.

Right click "My Computer" and "properties"

It should show the processor Ghz and RAM in GB

If its not showing the 4 GB that it should, probably one of the RAM modules is damaged and not recognised.

Also check for unneccessary software running and also for viruses, which can slow down a computer sooo much.

It is showing everything correct and good..!!
jdelfire
-- call Dell then...
-- Ask for a replacement...
-- I have worked with different company like DELL, Hp, Toshiba Mac, Acer etc...
-- If there is a problem on the first day you better return it... that is why there is warranty
-- But if you would like to troubleshoot set it to factory settings if that will not help I Strongly suggest to return the product
mikelll
nivinjoy wrote:

be carefull about your citations about DELL...If they see this post they may sue you!

Firts of all be sure about your probles...are the CD's original or "copies"?
For the laptop slowliness it could be thousands of things...such as the cpu speed...the disck speed...if it is in economy mode it works slower to save power...etc etc
k_s_baskar
Search for Dell Service center in your location. Before that Restore your OS with Restore CD which comes while purchasing the Laptop. Some DVDs or Cds will need unique drivers to play (i.e Divx)

Smile
deanhills
I would get a non-Dell hardware whizz guy to reformat your hard drive and load your software from scratch, even if you have to spend some extra cash on that. This was really a long time ago for me in Vancouver, Canada where we also got Dell's at the office and at that time my brand-new Dell was really slow. The office IT Geek then fiddled with all the junk software that had been loaded on the computer, deleted some, unchecked a lot of stuff, and everything speeded right up. I would take the computer to a guy who knows his stuff, completely reformat the hard disk and load all the software from scratch. Trying to do it on the ring a ring a rosies phone system with Dell will just frustrate you more. I tried that. It is very strange, my experience with Dell in Canada was less than ideal, and I have heard so many complaints from people who bought their systems like you did, but here in the Middle East Dell is tops. Dell, HP, Acer, Asus and Sony are doing very well over here. I prefer my generic computers however for home use as I am lucky in that I found a computer hardware geek here who is a whizz in not only getting the right hardware components to work together, but to set all of it up to work perfectly together right from the start.
MarzEz
1) have you installed super-heavy-duty antivirus such as Norton 360?
2) does your laptop run vista?
3) has your laptop got the drivers? (www.dell.com)
4) have you got many applications that load on start-up?

anti-virus, Vista and start-up applications will slow down your system, whereas drivers will speed it up.
FunDa
Dell customer care was quite good in my area. They send a customer service personnel to our door. They also reinstall Windows for u, if they rule out all other problems.

Call and try. Its worth a try.
iyepes
Slow is a cualitative measure, hard to explain to a help desk, however I think you should call dell support, they have a toll-free number for almost all the countries they sell at, or chat support, it works in my country.

I don't suggest trying to fix a new system, if there's something wrong from the begining, insist until you get support.
Flarkis
I agree with most people in this post that dell computers are not the best. Also like they said it is a good thing to get rid of all of the crapware installed by default and replace it with some good free apps.
Firefox for internet, thunderbird for email, VLC for media, CCleaner for computer clean up, etc
[FuN]goku
mikelll wrote:
For the laptop slowliness it could be thousands of things...such as the cpu speed...the disck speed...if it is in economy mode it works slower to save power...etc etc
He brings up a good point there, about how it could be using power-save settings. I'd check that if you haven't already.

Flarkis wrote:
I agree with most people in this post that dell computers are not the best. Also like they said it is a good thing to get rid of all of the crapware installed by default and replace it with some good free apps.
Firefox for internet, thunderbird for email, VLC for media, CCleaner for computer clean up, etc
I would disagree/agree with you. First, I will say the , Yes, Dell probably aren't the BEST brand out there, however, I've never EVER had any problems with reaching their tech support, or with their service. My laptop got lost in the mail one time, but that was Purolator's fault, NOT Dell's.

I've always been able to reach their tech support when needed, (while I don't agree with their methods of "support", i.e, me sitting there for an hour KNOWING what the problem with my laptop is, while they get me to run diagnostics anyways), but they're usually under the assumption that everyone is tech illiterate. One other thing I've been told about alot of Tech call Centers , though i'm not sure if it's accurate or not, is that they usually just have a "list" or database of common problems, and that their employees aren't always tech smart.

But aside from that, I love Dell, and would definitely choose them over HP/Compaq.

Anyways, staying on topic here, I would also agree, with what Flarkis, and a few other people said, and get rid of all the Bloatware. If you have Vista, I'd recommend upgrading to Windows 7 if that's a possibility at all. If they gave you a "trial" or 1 year free antivirus or something, I'd probably ditch it, unless it's something worth keeping like Bitdefender, Nod32 or Kaspersky (though knowing dell it would probably be mcafee , which is what I had on mine when i recieved it).

Not really sure what else to say..... If it's vista, maybe try turning off Aero effects and see if that helps any.

But , Consider calling their tech support, as they are fairly good.

To re-iterate, try
-Checking Power-Save settings.
-Get rid of Bloatware
-Check Anti-Virus
-Try turning off Aero.

See if any of those things help, and If not, then I'd suggest giving Dell a call.

Best of Luck!