FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Road

Crazy_Canuck
This movie was featured at the recent Toronto International Film Festival, but I didn't have a chance to see it. It's coming out in wide release on November 25th, 2009.

Based on the harrowing novel by Cormac McCarthy, starring Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall and Guy Pearce. The novel was fantastic, thought-provoking, very disturbing but very well-written.

Here is the trailer: Official Trailer for The Road

Anyone going to see it? If you do, let us know what you think here.
missdixy
The trailer looks amazing! I had no idea they were making this. Sign me up! I will definitely be watching this once it's released!
Crazy_Canuck
missdixy wrote:
The trailer looks amazing! I had no idea they were making this. Sign me up! I will definitely be watching this once it's released!

It is being said that Viggo Mortensen gives an Oscar-worthy performance, and of course the release date would suggest that they are definitely going for all the Oscar nods they can get. The general consensus from TIFF is that it's really well-done, although Cormac McCarthy's novels-turned-to-films are tough to watch.

Did you see No Country For Old Men, with Javier Bardem?
Vladalf
I will definitely watch this, seems like a great post-apocalyptic movie.
~Vlad
Enterprise
I'm going to see this movie, mostly because I love Viggo Mortensen, but also because I read the book and I'm just curious to see what they do with it. Kinda depressing, but we can all use a downer every now and then to bring us back to earth and be grateful for what we got.
Crazy_Canuck
Enterprise wrote:
I'm going to see this movie, mostly because I love Viggo Mortensen, but also because I read the book and I'm just curious to see what they do with it. Kinda depressing, but we can all use a downer every now and then to bring us back to earth and be grateful for what we got.

One of the things I loved about the book -- and I'm curious to see how they handle it in the film -- is the ambiguity of the ending.

It can either be read as really bleak and nihilistic OR hopeful and positive. It seems the latter interpretation correlates with how much you see The Road as a religious allegory.