FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Automatic Notification of "Spamcanned" Postings

deanhills
If a moderator should decide to "spamcan" a posting by deleting it. Is there any way that an automated message could be forwarded to the person whose posting has been "spamcanned"?

I've had my first most unfortunate "spamcan" experience late yesterday, when a posting I had made had been "spamcanned". The next morning when I posted I noticed my posting was gone, and not having had this experience ever in the 5700 postings that I have made this far, and in absence of a notification of any kind, I thought there must have been a technical reason for the posting that was no longer there. I then repeated the posting, only to discover afterwards by way of a posting by a Moderator in that thread that my posting had been deleted, and since I had repeated the posting (without knowing that a Moderator had deleted it) that I had broken a Frihost rule on top of everything else.

During the initial posting that was made in which I was accused of breaking a Frihost rule, I thought that maybe there had been something wrong with the posting I had responded to, to the equivalent of being advertising of a kind. Then when I asked about that, I was told that there had been nothing wrong with the original posting in the thread, but that my reply to the posting had been deemed unneeded!!!! The posting I made was genuine and sincere. And the content of the Moderator's posting in that thread most unfair. However, I believe that there is another rule that covers him and I probably have no choice but to accept his ruling. I most certainly will watch out for postings that get deleted in future, as to date I have never had any reason to suspect a Moderator being concerned about "unneeded" postings as "spam".

What would have been helpful, if this is at all possible however, would be an automatic message that would warn Frihosters if their postings have been deleted by a Moderator. If I had known that my posting had been removed by a Moderator I would never have done the second posting. Also, it would have been helpful to get an exact explanation of what I had done wrong. I still don't know what I have done wrong as in my view it had been a perfectly legitimate bona fide posting.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

I've had my first most unfortunate "spamcan" experience late yesterday, when a posting I had made had been "spamcanned". The next morning when I posted I noticed my posting was gone, and not having had this experience ever in the 5700 postings that I have made this far, and in absence of a notification of any kind, I thought there must have been a technical reason for the posting that was no longer there. I then repeated the posting, only to discover afterwards by way of a posting by a Moderator in that thread that my posting had been deleted, and since I had repeated the posting (without knowing that a Moderator had deleted it) that I had broken a Frihost rule on top of everything else.

That happened to me once too, though when I made the post again, it didn't get deleted a second time... I still don't know if that was just a glitch or a moderator's action.

I'm very much in favor of an automatic notification whenever one of your posts gets deleted... or at least a strict rule among moderators that they need to PM, AWAIT, or post about the deletion.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

I'm very much in favor of an automatic notification whenever one of your posts gets deleted... or at least a strict rule among moderators that they need to PM, AWAIT, or post about the deletion.

I think this would be time consuming for the mods as a lot of newbies just come on and post a lot of spam,thinking just making 5 posts will automatically activate their accounts.

I think however there should be exceptions made for long term members.
rvec
if your post is gone you can be sure it's the action of a mod, most of the time this is because the post adds nothing to the topic or is a second post by the same user (I mostly merge the two posts, but I can understand it if other mods don't because it takes quite some time).

Sending a PM or mail is out of the question because it would take too much time and send too many mails to some users.

Also I can assure the three of you that neither of you has only one or two of his posts spamcanned (nor zero). You might not have noticed this, but you made even more posts than those you see Razz .
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:

Also I can assure the three of you that neither of you has only one or two of his posts spamcanned (nor zero). You might not have noticed this, but you made even more posts than those you see Razz .

And we'll keep on doing the exact same things unless somebody tells us when we break a rule.
truespeed
One of mine was removed as it was considered inappropriate material for this forum. (It was a scantily dressed celebrities contest i posted) . I received an awit for it,the moderator who dealt with it, explained the reasons for its removal,and considering the user base of this forum,the mod was right to remove the post.

I know of another couple,that were links to what would of been considered illegal material (A couple of watch Movies and tv online sites). Those removals weren't explained,but an explanation wasn't nesercerry.

I know i have also had a couple of topics locked as they were considered spam,but again i could see how they were viewed that way.

I don't think i have had any posts removed that i wouldn't have agreed with,if i had, i would of requested an explanation, so generally i think,if a person requests an explanation for a removal,that the mod/admin who removes it, should at least tell them why it was removed.
rvec
ocalhoun wrote:
rvec wrote:

And we'll keep on doing the exact same things unless somebody tells us when we break a rule.

If there's something you need to learn we'll make an AWIT. In most cases we just spamcan posts that bring back an old topic, or add nothing to the topic ("That looks nice", "Cool post", "Nice idea Very Happy Very Happy", "nice one!!1!").

If we have to delete multiple posts of one user or if the thing is likely to be done again we mostly make an AWIT.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:

If there's something you need to learn we'll make an AWIT. In most cases we just spamcan posts that bring back an old topic, or add nothing to the topic ("That looks nice", "Cool post", "Nice idea Very Happy Very Happy", "nice one!!1!").

I know the one of mine that went missing was a reply to a current thread, and was definitely not a one-liner... It took a long time to recreate it.

Knowing deanhills, I doubt he posted something like 'that looks nice' either.