FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you being funny or are you just ignorant?

chasbeen
Whats the most naive statement you can imagine someone coming out with during a conversation?
I'm into Computer software and Soccer so in those areas of interest the ones I can think of are:

Soccer:
Why don't the players do something about the supporter on the field running around being a nuisance, they shouldn't have to put up with his interuptions.

Computer software:
Hello what's Microsoft and aren't windows something that goes on a building?
What do you mean computers have windows? Whats the point of that. I know they need a fan to cool the cpu but you don't need a window for a draft?

Whats some of yours?, they can be on the above subjects or anything new.
Vrythramax
I'm a forum mod (for those of you playing along at home...we trash posts, enforce the rules, and arbitrarily push people around) and I got this reply after removing a post once:

"So am I right in assuming that you felt my response needed to be spamcanned because it was unneeded? How did you come to that conclusion? And what do you think would have qualified as a suitable response, if mine was unneeded?"

Confused

*sigh*
missdixy
Vrythramax wrote:

"So am I right in assuming that you felt my response needed to be spamcanned because it was unneeded? How did you come to that conclusion? And what do you think would have qualified as a suitable response, if mine was unneeded?"

Wow lol. As if you have to explain yourself...!!!
Ghost900
Vrythramax that is a good one.

I am going to Collage working with computers and I have heard some statements that make me want to laugh but I can't remember any of them right now, I will post them if I think of them or hear any more. Wink
TVme
It was about this time of year a few years ago that I was in a chat room and we were complaining about how some retailers start promoting Christmas way too early, and one chatter actually commented:

"If Baby Jesus only knew how commercial Christmas has become, he'd be rolling over in his grave!."

I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say.

-TVme
BinahZ
for me the dumbest comments i hear are "trust me" at work. Most of those I work with are the reason we all lock our doors Cool
Helios
missdixy wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Wow lol. As if you have to explain yourself...!!!

Oh yes, we get a lot of those... first one was funny, but after that just plain sad.
Bluedoll
This one isn't stupid but ignorant in the sense that it pushes people around.

You walk into a restaurant ready to put yourself and what you worked for down on the table and as you are getting settled in, some form of management says,

“Don’t sit there, I just cleaned that table!”
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
This one isn't stupid but ignorant in the sense that it pushes people around.

You walk into a restaurant ready to put yourself and what you worked for down on the table and as you are getting settled in, some form of management says,

“Don’t sit there, I just cleaned that table!”
Good one. Mine is when the management says the table has been reserved, when it obviously has not. Or, the restaurant is completely empty, there are only two of you, and only four or more seater tables by the window with great views, and "rules" say you can only be seated at the small 2-person table behind the pillar. I can think of a long list here .... Smile
truespeed
chasbeen wrote:

Soccer:

Americans calling football soccer?
standready
Vrythramax wrote:
I'm a forum mod (for those of you playing along at home...we trash posts, enforce the rules, and arbitrarily push people around) and I got this reply after removing a post once:

Confused

*sigh*

Did you reply to this person with "the fuzzy end of your lollipop"? That would fix'em good!
apple
I do screen printing, so sometimes a client will see all the printed stuff, see the equipment, see the signs clearly stating what we do...walk in and say....is this the printing place? Confused
Fatality
I work for an IP Telephony (Voice over IP or Internet phone) company and we recently made some changes that required our clients to reboot their phones to download the changes. One of the responses I got back was, "How do I do that?". Seriously...

Maybe it is just me, but isn't it common sense that in order to reboot something that doesn't have a power button you would have to unplug it and plug it back in?
catscratches
If you want ignorance, just look up random YouTube video and read the comments. Especially for music. With at least a 50% idiocy rate guaranteed!

A personal favourite I encountered at a Sun O))) song that made me laugh hysterically.
Bluedoll
Fatality wrote:
I work for an IP Telephony (Voice over IP or Internet phone) company and we recently made some changes that required our clients to reboot their phones to download the changes. One of the responses I got back was, "How do I do that?". Seriously...

Maybe it is just me, but isn't it common sense that in order to reboot something that doesn't have a power button you would have to unplug it and plug it back in?

I guess this depends on how you define ignorant. It can mean lack of specified knowledge, rudeness, inability to understand other peoples viewpoints. Maybe this person has too much on thier mind and is asking a totally dumb question, is techi unable to do anything except push a button when told to or doesn't understand what computer words mean, ie reboot = restart from scratch.
Bluedoll
apple wrote:
I do screen printing, so sometimes a client will see all the printed stuff, see the equipment, see the signs clearly stating what we do...walk in and say....is this the printing place? Confused

Is this where we write our comments? Laughing Laughing Laughing
guissmo
I remember the "How is Babby formed" meme. If I remember right, it goes "How is Babby formed, how girl get pregnant?".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-lia-FEIY

Enjoy.

I think the first one who posted this was serious about it. And that fact sort of creeps me out.
Dean_The_Great
These are hilarious! People really believe what they're saying don't they? I've had people try to haggle with me while I work at a franchise clothing store. Like I have the ability to change the prices or something...
furtasacra
Sometimes people just ask incomprehensibly retarded questions for no apparent reason. Case in point: I'm at a bus stop. I am sitting on a bench that says "Bus Stop". There is a big sign less than 3 feet away that says "Bus Stop". Nevertheless, some yahoo strolling down the sidewalk stops and asks "Excuse me, maam, is this where I catch the bus?"

I was so flabbergasted by the question I just sat there speechless (no doubt looking as stupid as he actually was), with my mouth hanging open like I was trying to catch June bugs with my tonsils. I said yes just moments before the bus turned the corner and stopped in front of us.

What. an. idiot.

Although I suppose I should be grateful that he asked his retarded question politely, eh?
ProfessorY91
This is just going to be a short rant about one thing that I find particularly annoying. And that I always get stupid questions about.

Startup Items.

People need to be educated about these things before they buy a computer dammit! You cannot run to your nearest tech store complaining about "things popping up" and "computer takes 20 minutes to start" when you have a crapload of junk software installed on your computer which requires a billion and a half CPU cycles every time your computer starts.

Start >>> Run >>> msconfig >>> Startup >>> Uncheck anything that doesn't have to do with Antivirus/Firewall. You DON'T need it.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
This is just going to be a short rant about one thing that I find particularly annoying. And that I always get stupid questions about.

Startup Items.

People need to be educated about these things before they buy a computer dammit! You cannot run to your nearest tech store complaining about "things popping up" and "computer takes 20 minutes to start" when you have a crapload of junk software installed on your computer which requires a billion and a half CPU cycles every time your computer starts.

Start >>> Run >>> msconfig >>> Startup >>> Uncheck anything that doesn't have to do with Antivirus/Firewall. You DON'T need it.
My rants would be the other way round. When you contact a technician, and he treats you as though you are another idiot who is irritating him. He does not give you a chance to explain or is unable to listen to your explanation as he is too much focussed on his preconceived notion of your limitations as a customer. You can immediately pick up on it in his voice, end result of which both of us are focussed on what is irritating to us, instead of solving the problem on hand. For example where does one get to learn about start-up? I am lucky as I have a technician who sets up my system in a "customer proof" way. He also loaded my system with all the general junkware type software for playing and downloading Videos and music, etc. so that I won't be doing that. I noticed that none of the junk software he downloaded are running off my start-up, however when I download junk software myself that they do go to my start-up. I hope that somewhere in the future someone would wisen up to that so that when we download junk software that there would be something in the operating software that gives you a very clear choice and warning so that you don't have the junkware running off your start up. I have Windows XP Professional, and once the junkware is in my Start-Up it is really difficult to get rid of it easily. My choice would be a very simple right-click and an option to untick stuff in the start-up without having to go the "Run" and "Configure" route.
Parkour_Jarrod
Okay well i am into lots of things...

Parkour is one of the things im into and someone once asked me this

"Why don't you just climb the stairs instead of climbing up the stairs?"

I never heard anything so stupid in my life...
missdixy
I've gotten some pretty awful questions in World of Warcraft. Just the other day a level 54 hunter messaged me asking me how to call out and feed his pet. This is like the most basic thing for hunters, and I don't know how someone levels to FIFTY FOUR without knowing this!

/sigh.

I guess it's possible that he bought his account but I talked to him a bit while I was trying to help him out (because I'm nice after all) and by the looks of it he'd been leveling his hunter for about a year.