FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Age for games, movie's and other stuff?!?!?!?!?





volvogangster
Hi,
I know this is the wrong section.
We all know that games like call of duty are always 16 or 18 years or older.

So, I'm 14 and I went to a shop to buy GTA IV a few months ago. They said to me, you are not 18, so you cannot buy this! And I became very angry, because this was GTA IV for the ps3 and I just switched from PC-Gaming to PS3-Gaming and for the PS3 you cannot download games, so I thought, I'm gonna give my money to the game-industry instead of downloading games for the PC like I did before. But then you want to buy a game, and they say you cannot buy it! This makes me really angry!!!!! All the people that say, you must buy games, otherwise you steal something! But the good games are always 16 or 18 years or older, so what do I have to do? I prefer buying, but I can't!
jabce85
haha.. wait until you're old enough to play them
coreymanshack
volvogangster wrote:
Hi,
I know this is the wrong section.
We all know that games like call of duty are always 16 or 18 years or older.

So, I'm 14 and I went to a shop to buy GTA IV a few months ago. They said to me, you are not 18, so you cannot buy this! And I became very angry, because this was GTA IV for the ps3 and I just switched from PC-Gaming to PS3-Gaming and for the PS3 you cannot download games, so I thought, I'm gonna give my money to the game-industry instead of downloading games for the PC like I did before. But then you want to buy a game, and they say you cannot buy it! This makes me really angry!!!!! All the people that say, you must buy games, otherwise you steal something! But the good games are always 16 or 18 years or older, so what do I have to do? I prefer buying, but I can't!


Get your parents to buy them for you, or pay an older kid.
soljarag
haha, ask your parents to buy it. if they wont buy it for you then what do you think would happen if they saw you playing it? they would take it away and there goes $60
pll
buy it on the net ! Cool
Afaceinthematrix
Haha lol. I had a similar situation when I was 14.. I went to buy a rated r movie or something and couldn't buy it because I wasn't 17. Luckily, I grew facial hair at a young age so I went a week without shaving and went back to that same store and purchased it without a problem!

I'm not a huge fan of censorship but at least you only have a few years until you can purchase these on your own. You should just find a friend who's a few years older than you and have them buy it or hit up your parents, cousin, siblings, etc.

There's always ways around it. Or you can always go to another store where the people that work there don't care (I used to be that way until a co-worker of mine got busted in a sting operation for selling some spray paint to minors - now I card everyone rather they're 16 or 160).
xalophus
volvogangster wrote:
I know this is the wrong section.

But you still posted it here ? On purpose ? Why ?

volvogangster wrote:
So, I'm 14 and I went to a shop to buy GTA IV a few months ago. They said to me, you are not 18, so you cannot buy this! And I became very angry, because this was GTA IV for the ps3

Has it ever occurred to you that there is a reason why rating systems like ESRB exist in the first place ?

volvogangster wrote:
But the good games are always 16 or 18 years or older

No, there are many good games that were released only recently.

volvogangster wrote:
so what do I have to do?

How about waiting till you're old enough ?


I'm surprised everyone who has posted before has only suggested workarounds to the restriction faced by OP - instead of letting the OP know that a game like GTA might not be the best idea for him/her.
coreymanshack
This is just like ratings for movies. Who is to decide what content is suited for your child other than you? What is the big difference between killing aliens in that one alien farm game.... and killing humans in GTA, it's all just a game, these games don't endorse killing people.
speeDemon
coreymanshack wrote:
This is just like ratings for movies. Who is to decide what content is suited for your child other than you? What is the big difference between killing aliens in that one alien farm game.... and killing humans in GTA, it's all just a game, these games don't endorse killing people.
It not about 'killing aliens' its about adult content. Do you know what gta4 showcases?
coreymanshack
I played a lot of GTA when I was younger. The storyline was something like this..
you worked for X gang leader and did missions for him, and if you ran into X gang they would shoot you on site.

Get real, what 14 year old doesn't know what a gang is?

Sometimes you had to steal X car from a civilian on game to get where you are going. You could beat up hookers that walked the sidewalks and take their cash. You could workout to change your body tone, and get your car fixed up.

What 14 year old doesn't know what a hooker is? What 14 year old doesn't know about car thievery. They are playing a game, they aren't doing this for real... What 14 year old doesn't know all the curse words in the book? Do you think it influences them to be like the character in game?

If it did, wow, we would have a ton of criminals and cursing 14 year olds running around. They know right from wrong.
DeltaM
Just get an older friend/older looking friend or your parents to buy the game for you ? Or just go to another shop and se what they say I haven't had so much problems with that when I was younger even tho I ain't the biggest/oldest looking dude.
speeDemon
coreymanshack wrote:
Get real, what 14 year old doesn't know what a gang is?


What 14 year old doesn't know what a hooker is? What 14 year old doesn't know about car thievery. They are playing a game, they aren't doing this for real...


I think that that is a very ignorant exclamation. By the way, I wasn't talking about blowing up people and cars, in GTA 4, you can have sex with hookers too... but I guess thats something that you'd love to show to your 13 year old, when you have one.

And ya one more thing, the mind of children is affected by these games for sure, you say that all 14 year olds know what a 'gang' and 'hooker' is, but they know it only because they played such games in the first place....

Another thing, maybe a child wouldn't become a 'character' of the game but he sure can be driven away by such games, you can place a bet on it... if there is a kid who had never played such games before, then, after playing them, he would change both his perspective and personality... reconsider your thoughts.....
coreymanshack
speeDemon wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Get real, what 14 year old doesn't know what a gang is?


What 14 year old doesn't know what a hooker is? What 14 year old doesn't know about car thievery. They are playing a game, they aren't doing this for real...


I think that that is a very ignorant exclamation. By the way, I wasn't talking about blowing up people and cars, in GTA 4, you can have sex with hookers too... but I guess thats something that you'd love to show to your 13 year old, when you have one.

And ya one more thing, the mind of children is affected by these games for sure, you say that all 14 year olds know what a 'gang' and 'hooker' is, but they know it only because they played such games in the first place....

Another thing, maybe a child wouldn't become a 'character' of the game but he sure can be driven away by such games, you can place a bet on it... if there is a kid who had never played such games before, then, after playing them, he would change both his perspective and personality... reconsider your thoughts.....


No, they don't only know what a gang and a hooker is from video games, that's a very ignorant exclamation. The game doesn't show it when you have sex with the hooker, does your 14 year old not know what sex is? Lol. I'd like to see some of these studies that you are making accusations on. "..., he would change both his perspective and personality..." If you haven't had the sex talk with your son yet, now is the time. If you think he is more than innocent and doesn't know anything about the real world, you are sadly mistaken.
xalophus
coreymanshack wrote:
Get real, what 14 year old doesn't know what a gang is?
What 14 year old doesn't know what a hooker is?

There also exist child soldiers in certain parts of the "real" world. What's your point ?

You can claim to know and decree what's OK for 14 year olds,
OR
you can take recommendations from a well researched rating system from a well established ratings board.

coreymanshack wrote:
If you think he is more than innocent and doesn't know anything about the real world, you are sadly mistaken.

If you think telling a child that circumventing a restriction or bending a rule is a O-K, you're sadly mistaken ... also.
coreymanshack
xalophus wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Get real, what 14 year old doesn't know what a gang is?
What 14 year old doesn't know what a hooker is?

There also exist child soldiers in certain parts of the "real" world. What's your point ?

You can claim to know and decree what's OK for 14 year olds,
OR
you can take recommendations from a well researched rating system from a well established ratings board.

coreymanshack wrote:
If you think he is more than innocent and doesn't know anything about the real world, you are sadly mistaken.

If you think telling a child that circumventing a restriction or bending a rule is a O-K, you're sadly mistaken ... also.


What the heck does child soldiers have to do with what a 14 year old knows?

Never said it was ok, he just asked how to do it Smile
I agree the ratings are there for a reason, but I think they shouldn't be so strict about it.
leomanlapera
it's up to you and i think all kids can play that kind of game because it is exciting and challenging and i believe all gamers have there goal of making a game Laughing
azoundria
I wonder...

I think everyone here who is vounching for him is under 18, and everyone here who's not is over 18.

If you're under 18, of course you want freedom for yourselves. If you're over 18, there's probably no thrill to the games for you anyways.

This type of thing comes up over and over again. Alcohol, pornography, profanity, violence, and on and on. And the argument that's always used again and again in each case, are examples where someone has been subject to such a behaviour or stimulis, and there's a negative conseguence of some sort. A common example is school shootings.

Well, guess what, yes the video game desensitized, and yes it taught him how to kill someone, but it didn't give him a reason to go on a murderous rampage. You can say for sure that the murderous rampage would have been less likely or in fact impossible if he had been afraid to shoot people or didn't know how to kill them, but clearly these weren't the only factors. How did he grow up? How was he raised? Did he have supportive parents? Obviously, he didn't really have friends at school, or why did he shoot them all?

Somebody doesn't just play a video game, and the next instant up and shooting people. Nobody is like that. Imagine how many times he would have thought about it before hand. Think of all the opportunity to put the gun down, leave it at home, not take it from wherever it was stored. And clearly, he was upset, or hurt, or angry enough that he set all those sentiments aside and brought it with him.

Think about this. The day before, his mom had given him just a little extra attention. Someone at school had cared about him, asked him to join their game. The parents of the kids who had picked on him had paid just a bit more attention there. His teachers had spent a little more time to help him with his homework and ensure his future.

That's all I want to say on that. I think everyone has a hand in that tragedy, in every suicide, school shooting, murder, and theft. You may not know it, but everyday you smile and hold a door open and share your heart, and you stop somewhere, sometime, a murder or theft or violent school shooting. You give to a charity, you give to your neighbour, you give to your community, (and no I don't always mean money), and someone hundreds of miles away receives something.

If you want to tell me that children shouldn't play violent video games because they desensitize, or they corrupt, or whatever else you want to say, that's fine on two accounts. You know the video game, meaning you've actually played it, and you also stop playing it. And believe me, if you've done that, and you're both doing it together, it's a whole heck of a lot easier to work with someone to stop a certain behaviour than through laying down the law.

That's all. Thanks for reading.
Ghost Rider103
If you are underage to buy the game, then you simply cannot purchase the game.

We don't need to discuss ways to get around it. If you're underage, it's illegal for you to purchase the game. Period.

I'm going to close this now, as I don't see a reason to keep it open. Not to mention it's in the wrong section.

Closed!
Related topics
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Jobs and Learning

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.