FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you tried window 7 yet?

distantship
I'm still considering whether to upgrade my existing pc's operation system to window 7 or to buy a new one altogether. I've shopped today offline but most of the stores are trying to get rid of the vista. Just found 2 windows 7, one is home edition and the second one is the professional edition, both from HP. But since there were not many choices, I tried to shop online instead. And then I found a very attractive package from bestbuy. Only 1199 or something similar that includes a desktop, a laptop and a netbook, and a router too. I was so tempted to get it but then I realised there were only home edition available to this package...that's why I hesitated. So, if you are using, or like me, consider getting a readily installed window 7 pc, please share your experience here such as the pros and cons, deals that you recommend, any problems you've came across so far etc....
Diablosblizz
If you can get a desktop, laptop, netbook and router for $1199 (CDN) then the computers are just horrible. Windows 7 is good, so it will run on basically any system.
blueray
You does't foreced to upgrade to it immediately.
Just download a copy of it and install it on your hard drive with dual-boot enabled.
So that you try it up to about 60 days before it lock you out.

With the time frame. You can do anything with it such as applications compatibility which
you use daily or trend to be used.

Also, don't forget take a look a bit information when it was down.
How and what options you have to do and be use to repair the Windows 7 system.
It should be the second thing important you must know for a system.
If you already have pass experience with Windows Vista.
It will let you more quickly upgraded to the new system.
Hecate
my notebook is running with windows 7. From what I see so far is the best so ever made by Microsoft
nivinjoy
I had downloaded the evaluation version from the Microsoft site and i am currently using it..!! In my opinion Windows 7 is the best whereas Windows Vista is the worst..!!

The main interface looks great and technically the number of processes running behind is less so that the system doesn't become slow..Also the boot time is very fast and boots far faster than vista and even XP..!!

It is being said that you can upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista without changing any settings.. I got a Dell laptop for which Dell has promised a free upgrade to Windows 7 from the currently running Vista which is damn slow..!!

So will the up-gradation make the system faster in performance..??
HalfBloodPrince
nivinjoy wrote:
So will the up-gradation make the system faster in performance..??

If by upgrade you mean simply upgrading a present Vista system to Windows 7, you'll see a speed boost but not nearly as much as you would from a clean install.
czarulit
No, but every day I think of installing it...
soljarag
not yet... I wish i was still eligible for the student price though...
lethaltriad
desktop, laptop and netbook for 1199? I'd say wait out for something better, more up to date. I'm using Windows 7 for about a week now and so far its been great, i skipped out on Vista because of all the compatability issues I heard with my audio and graphic programs. I did a clean install and its working perfectly. Only problem right now is that it isnt compatible with Magic Jack but I read that the makers of magic jack are fixing the issue. Every other programs works well. Using the 64bit version so finally get to use all of the 4 gigs of ram. Games running perfect, dont crash like how they would sometime sunder windows xp and also my 1080 videos play much smoother.
Zaini711
Yeah, I have tried Win 7, with PC, notebook and also netbook. FRom my experience and what I can gather, Windows 7 is good and Microsoft accomplish what they failed previously with Vista. Mind you that Windows 7 is not a new OS by itself. Windows 7 is a major update of Vista. But Microsoft done a good job in taking a best of Vista and throw away the bloated Vista to a lean mean Windows 7.

Would I changa eto Windows 7 ? Yes, if I am buying a new PC or my current PC is using a pirated Windows, but as I am currently using original Windows XP Professional and everything is smooth and work just fine, I dont think I would spend my hard earned cash on a new operating system.

" Expired " and no more official no support from Microsoft irregardless, Windows XP is still the best operating system there is that coming from Microsoft, not taking into account Mac or Linux. And have using PC since MS-DOS and Win 3.1..........
Stolich
I'm using Windows 7 as my only OS and I'm really satisfied. Vista and all its bells and whistles was a bit over the top, Windows 7 seems to be a lot faster and it just does the job. Installing hardware got alot easier (didn't need to install any drives for my wireless usb adapter!) and I haven't had compatibility issues yet with games (as opposed to Vista).
menino
I am using Windows 7 on a test machine, which I remotely log onto from time to time, to check downloads.
It is better than vista, though slightly different, and takes a bit of getting used to.
But overall, much better and faster than vista.
Waiting to get a chance to check out the tablet version of it on a tablet laptop.
nigam
Can't wait to assemble my new computer so I can run this new cool OS. But I believe the Opensource group are making new on their distro's to compete with this new OS from MSoft.
Baka_Desu
I've tried it. I'm currrently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I've got to say it is way better than Windows Vista. The main problem is some programs aren't compatible to Windows 7. But i think the problem is the developer of the program because they're not updating the programs not the staffs at Microsoft.
HalfBloodPrince
Baka_Desu wrote:
I've tried it. I'm currrently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I've got to say it is way better than Windows Vista. The main problem is some programs aren't compatible to Windows 7. But i think the problem is the developer of the program because they're not updating the programs not the staffs at Microsoft.

If you can't install a program because of incompatibility, right click on the setup file and go to Properties. Go the Compatibility tab and select Windows Vista SP2 or Windows XP SP3. That should work. If it installs without compatibility but then does not run, try selecting Vista/XP for the application shortcut. That's how I got a printer driver to install on my old desktop.
Meit
Quote:
Install / boot times / shutdown
It's the most base of operating system functions. Install, turn on, turn off. But first impressions matter, and Microsoft made sure to give Windows 7 a nice sheen when it came to these things. You can read through their full installation guide for an in-depth look at the pitfalls and triumphs of Windows 7 in this department, but in short: it's fast and lightweight, but the real performance gains can be found on netbooks and with clean installs. Otherwise there's really nothing to put Vista to shame -- though the amazing breath of fresh air a clean install provides should really set cruftware-happy vendors to a bit of soul searching.

Start Menu
Mac OS X might have Spotlight, but Windows now has great instant search as well, and the Windows key has a new lease on life. Merely pop open the Start Menu and start typing and search results start populating. It's not nearly as comprehensive as Spotlight, but it also doesn't seem to be faced with the same slowdowns of its Mac OS X counterpart, and typically tracks down what we're looking for (apps, usually). The Start Menu has also been enhanced with a refined layout and supplemental menus for frequently used items -- offering access to recent items used by that application, along with the new "tasks" list that Microsoft has snuck into the OS, but which are currently only used by a few Microsoft-built apps.

Security / networking
Microsoft had already done a lot of work since the initial release of Vista on not bugging us incessantly with pop-up security nags, but Windows 7 strikes an even better balance. What is disconcerting is how often security warnings include an "unknown" as the publisher -- it's not really teaching anybody to be judicious about what pops up in the warning if the warning itself doesn't even know what's going on.

In the end we'll find out just how secure Windows 7 is once it's in the wild and hackers start hammering on it, but with the abundance and ease of Windows updates these days, most anybody with an ounce of common sense and a speedy internet connection should be able to steer clear of danger. Meaning: we're all doomed.

On the networking front, HomeGroups are a new Windows 7-specific method of simplifying networking between computers on a local network, and we're really in love. After decades of being stymied by complicated Windows networking setups, we've finally been able to reliably and rapidly connect multiple computers and share files / media / printers / whatever without resorting to a sneakernet or inviting our smarter friends over with their fancy Computer Science degrees to figure it out for us.

mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
driftingfe3s
I had no problems with vista, but my desktop was pretty powerful. I've had windows 7 on my desktop for a while now and it feels a bit faster. I also loaded windows 7 on my old laptop which i got around 2003. It had windows xp, 512 MB RAM and 1.3 GHz processor (or possibly slower don't remember) and I found that windows 7 runs just a tad slower than xp, but it's barely noticeable. Pretty good considering it doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.
welshsteve
I'm told that the same spec PC will run faster on WIndows 7 than Vista, so I plan to move to it, but not yet. I'm going to wait and see what people's thoughts of it are after a while first.
misterXY
welshsteve wrote:
I'm told that the same spec PC will run faster on WIndows 7 than Vista, so I plan to move to it, but not yet. I'm going to wait and see what people's thoughts of it are after a while first.

It's true, l can't break it into details but trust me, it's better lol. Basically made it from saturated to unsaturated ?
Ow-Bert
i got my notebook provided by the nsw government today, its got windows 7, looks like vista with minor upgrades, only problem is that theres this errorc://runtime or smthing, besides that its alright, when was vista released cos its seems so soon that windows 7 is already out =/
guth75
I haven't, although I would like to try it. It looks cool, but its just another computer. Not the end of the world or anything major like that, it would be nice yo try it, but I could live without it.
Helios
Oh yes, using it for several months already, since early beta.
I've also installed it on an old PC (P4, 512MB RAM) and it works flawlessly.
Great operating system overall, Micros0ft did a great job. I really like the graphics and the memory management.

Of course, I still prefer my Ubuntu 9.10 Smile
achowles
On the whole I love it. It's fast, well designed, attractive and works well with most things already.

Explorer does have some stability issues though. I can definitely see a few major updates on the horizon. Those on the fence might be best off waiting for the first service pack. But personally, I find it a lot better than XP ever was.
Diablosblizz
I like it and all, but I hate the new WMP. That's the only thing that I can see that they could have put more effort into.
Donutey
Yes, I've had it for a while (I got it before it was released, since I have access to MSDNAA). It's better than Vista, and some point in the future it will be a good replacement for XP, but wait at least for the first service pack before making it your primary OS.

Time and time again Microsoft disappoints me with the lack of 'polish' in their operating systems. The new start menu is awesome, but for some reason windows picture viewer is much slower (i.e. there is a stutter) switching between pictures than XP is... The power saving feature of turning off the transparent windows only works sometimes as well...
babarus
NO!
babarus
I think i will dont install windows 7 but i am thinking to install one of linux
nigam
Nope I haven't tried Win7, yet although I have Installer for Win7 here. I don't have available PC's to install it. I'll just wait for a while to sum up my money so I can buy a better computer to run my Win7 from there. People here will really enjoy that new OS. Can't wait for that time. ty.
milleja46
I have and right now i am using a computer with it on it. It is pretty nice probably needs some work and new ms office but it is an awesome os to use. Wink
allboeing
I have done an overview of it generally im happy but theres a few flaws
1)Claims to be fastest OS but the last version of Ubuntu beats it
2)Claims to be only touch screen compatible OS but there are plenty out there it is the only touch-screen compatible closed-source OS
3)The systray is to high
So I would just go and download the the latest version of ubuntu if I were you I would not suggest to buy an operating system using mis-leading advertisements because the only reason for this would be to hide a major flaw within the OS.
If you dont want to transfer to ubuntu because your programs wont run dont worry theres a solution for that on ubuntu,when your on your user account in ubuntu just go to Applications>Add/Remove...
Once there type in Wine,then click Apply Changes once its done press close and when you run windows programs wine will open up an installer which will then install the program for you.
Its really handy I use ubuntu and I must use vista at times for some reasons but I suggest ubuntu instead of windows7[/quote]
cr3ativ3
distantship wrote:
I'm still considering whether to upgrade my existing pc's operation system to window 7 or to buy a new one altogether. I've shopped today offline but most of the stores are trying to get rid of the vista. Just found 2 windows 7, one is home edition and the second one is the professional edition, both from HP. But since there were not many choices, I tried to shop online instead. And then I found a very attractive package from bestbuy. Only 1199 or something similar that includes a desktop, a laptop and a netbook, and a router too. I was so tempted to get it but then I realised there were only home edition available to this package...that's why I hesitated. So, if you are using, or like me, consider getting a readily installed window 7 pc, please share your experience here such as the pros and cons, deals that you recommend, any problems you've came across so far etc....

I have been using Windows 7 since its RC release a year ago, and I cant possibly go back to Vista... Mainly because Vista doesnt work on my laptop, like its suppose to (it was designed to run Vista)... Anyways I would definitely recommend getting Windows 7, if your current machine can run Vista and your fine with your current machine, i'd say just buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it overtop of Vista... I wouldnt upgrade, I would just install fresh.

Anyways good luck with it, Windows 7 is awesome! Best OS ever.
anasash
windows 7 could be a great release for novices on computers. but for professionals 7 could be a bit exhausting cause it's not a few applications that doesn't work with it. Essentials like torrent apps, many games, softwares, and even drivers wont be compatible with the so said THE ALL NEW OS, 7.
Not that it's not good, but only a few flaws like incompatibility of some programs (which might be resolved later) are the only things that make us unsatisfied with it.
For the motion, i would say that it has many new features. In Vista I had to install a Linksys updated driver for using the adapter, which wouldn't work otherwise. But the same adapter in 7 didn't require that i had to install the driver. It became fully functional just when i connected it to my pc. And it has some cool visual accessory upgrades on it's gallery site, too. Cool themes, gadgets, wallpapers, screensavers and the new features like Aero Shake, ShowDesktop button, etc make it a cool new os.
milleja46
7's great but xp is still the best!