FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sarkozy's 250,000 shower

lagoon
This is just great. French President Nicolas Sarkozy spent 250,000 on a shower using taxpayers money... and he didn't even use it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8329425.stm
deanhills
Sounds typical. Next thing we're probably going to hear about a girlfriend/s lurking around. Must be horrifying for the people of Europe to know that someone like that is ultimately in charge of finances.
Phinx
Reminds me of the time when our president decided to install a golden loo for Queen of England, when she visited Lithuania.
deanhills
Phinx wrote:
Reminds me of the time when our president decided to install a golden loo for Queen of England, when she visited Lithuania.
That sounds more expensive than the shower? I did not realize the citizens of Lithuania held the Queen of England in such high esteem. That must have been a very long time ago?
jabce85
glad to see the US isn't the only country blowing loads of money on stupid crap
lagoon
Technically, every taxpayer in Europe (some 250m) put a bit of money into the shower. I paid for it!
deanhills
lagoon wrote:
Technically, every taxpayer in Europe (some 250m) put a bit of money into the shower. I paid for it!
Looks like a good enough reason to plug up the Channel Tunnel! Twisted Evil
lagoon
Have a Lisbon treaty referendum more like!
Nick2008
Well at least it's good to know where Europe's tax money goes.

Back here in the US, I have no idea where my tax money goes! Laughing
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
Well at least it's good to know where Europe's tax money goes.

Well, the little I know about it is that it has bailed out BIG banks at the beginning of the year. Possibly not much different from installing a golden loo or a fancy French shower, but probably much more profitable to have "golden" banks. Smile
ocalhoun
Nick2008 wrote:

Neither does the government, apparently:
Quote:

The federal government cannot account for $24.5 billion spent in 2003.

That's a lot to just slip through the cracks with no trace.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Neither does the government, apparently:
Quote:

The federal government cannot account for $24.5 billion spent in 2003.

That's a lot to just slip through the cracks with no trace.
Well, if you compare it with the total debt in trillions, it's almost like petty cash ... Smile The 1-trillion that was voted at the beginning of the year was also not that very specific either in exactly where it went to, which banks have been bailed out, to which tune, and how it will be repaid. By the looks of things on the stock exchange all of those banks should be able to repay their loans by now, and I wonder whether they will, unless it is according to some special agreement that gave them lots of time to repay, whether they have managed to make a lot of money or not. With their size I would imagine that they have compartmentalized the debt, and whether they make lots of money on the stock exchange is something completely separate. The system as it is with Government is one where there is no transparency at all and it would appear that the objective of making loans available to those people in the street who badly needed it was a secondary one.
lagoon
When asked about why he chose the $1bn figure, didn't he reply 'It's just a really, really big number'?
standready
jabce85 wrote:
glad to see the US isn't the only country blowing loads of money on stupid crap

The US government are the professionals though.

Quote:
The federal government cannot account for $24.5 billion spent in 2003

They did not give one penny of it to me.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:

Quote:
The federal government cannot account for $24.5 billion spent in 2003

They did not give one penny of it to me.

Which is a shame considering that's enough to give every man, woman, and child in the USA $80...
Enough to give every person in the world more than $3.00, which would make quite an impact in very poor countries...
Nick2008
But where DID the money go? Maybe someone just picked up a few millions and lost them along the way? Laughing

But yes, the US government is the professional in terms of tracking money.

"Golden" banks sounds like a great idea, if the bank is about to go bankrupt, just give a chunk of the wall away to receive some more revenue! Very Happy
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
But where DID the money go?
Via the Banks to Wall Street I expect. Everyone is on the roll and partying again, except for the companies who were allowed to go bust, and the millions of unemployed. Who really cares about them anyway! Let's rather work on their health insurance, than on putting bread on their table?

I would imagine next in line after health insurance will be unemployment insurance? Twisted Evil
rayz0r
What the hell! The shower must be the size of a house to be that bloody expensive. Maybe it rains the fountain of youth water?

Politicians who start treating their job as a way of life, instead of a job, MUST be voted out
lagoon
rayz0r wrote:
What the hell! The shower must be the size of a house to be that bloody expensive. Maybe it rains the fountain of youth water?

Politicians who start treating their job as a way of life, instead of a job, MUST be voted out

Why? Lets face it, politics is a job for most of those that practice it nowadays.
menino
a shower that costs 250000 sterling?
Maybe its a golden shower! Laughing
deanhills
menino wrote:
a shower that costs 250000 sterling?
Maybe its a golden shower! Laughing
Perhaps one that has all kinds of special jets as well as water inlets everywhere with a sophisticated control system, seating arrangements, etc. Probably a good shower to have to wake someone up, or to relax them. I once investigated showers like these, as well as special baths, and had to stop, as one requires pretty fancy and expensive plumbing to make all of it work.
silverdown
wow ... id like to smack him... cuz that was such a stupid move... why buy and not use? it not a fragile heart!!!
lagoon
silverdown wrote:
wow ... id like to smack him... cuz that was such a stupid move... why buy and not use? it not a fragile heart!!!

Everyone in Europe wants to smack Nicolas Sarkozy. He's an idiot.