FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

kaspersky internet security 2010 slows down the system

tamilparks
i am using windows xp with service pack 3. i have purchased kaspesky internet security 2010 version 9.0.0.736, i am having firefox and intenet explorer browsers, after installing the kaspersky internet security 2010 virus scanner my browsing speed is slow down can any one tell me how to speed up the browsing... pls help me
Fire Boar
Um... Kapersky? Oh dear. Kapersky is up there with Norton on the "things you definitely don't want on your computer" scale.

My advice? Remove Kapersky and install a free package with good reviews. That's the only way you're going to be able to get a decent speed web browsing.
Diablosblizz
I've been running Kaspersky for about a year now with no problems. The 2010 is much faster than earlier versions. What's you computer specs? Here's mine if you're wondering:

4x Intel Xeon Quad 2.8 GHz (4 cores)
2 GB ram
600 GB (1x500 2x40)
9500 GT

I probably wouldn't recommend it on a laptop, although it should work fine on a somewhat powerful desktop. Try Comodo, it's light and secure.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
I've been running Kaspersky for about a year now with no problems. The 2010 is much faster than earlier versions. What's you computer specs? Here's mine if you're wondering:

4x Intel Xeon Quad 2.8 GHz (4 cores)
2 GB ram
600 GB (1x500 2x40)
9500 GT

I probably wouldn't recommend it on a laptop, although it should work fine on a somewhat powerful desktop. Try Comodo, it's light and secure.
I'm also running Kaspersky. I changed from Norton Virus last year and found an enormous difference with Kaspersky running much faster.

Could it be that you started with a trial version and copied a new version over the trial version? Maybe your Kaspersky has its "knickers in a knot"? Smile
Arty
Try disabling the real-time virus protection. (I don't know if that will make it faster)
Diablosblizz
Arty wrote:
Try disabling the real-time virus protection. (I don't know if that will make it faster)

That's a bad idea, without real-time protection your running the AV for no reason. Real-time protection detects programs you've downloaded, so if you turn it off you have to manually scan everything.
trthdy
Fire Boar wrote:
Um... Kapersky? Oh dear. Kapersky is up there with Norton on the "things you definitely don't want on your computer" scale.

My advice? Remove Kapersky and install a free package with good reviews. That's the only way you're going to be able to get a decent speed web browsing.

That is so not true.
Norton has improved tremendously when it comes to CPU and Memory usage and the same applies to Kaspersky. Check out www.av-comparatives.org performance test report, if you don't believe me.
I have never experienced the problem you mentioned here. But, try uninstalling the Fx extension installed by Kaspersky.
Also, if you connect through a network which is infected, then Kaspersky tends fo block ports temporarily. This may have an adverse effect on downloads. If nothing works, disable the web antivirus component of Kaspersky or reduce its level (depth of scanning).
welshsteve
Fire Boar wrote:

I'm sorry I cannot agree with you here. Kaspersky is a superb suite for PC protection. Any fully blown paid for security suite will slow down your computer initially as it learns how you use the system, what program behaviours there are etc.

I had a PC that I used free security on a few years ago, AVG Free, ZoneAlarm (when it was BIG) etc, and my PC slowed to the point it was impossible to work. I installed Kaspersky on a 30 day trial, and it cleared up my PC. After the 30 day trial had finished, the program had learned my PC, which was now running brilliantly, with the exact same programs on as I had before (minus the free security apps). Ever since then I've been happy to pay for the licence each year.
infinisa
Hi tamilparks

I agree entirely with welshsteve. Kaspersky Internet Suite is a great piece of Software to protect your PC. It does use idle time to scan your PC, and does do a start up check when you boot your PC, which slows things down a bit initially.

As with all software, as time goes by it gets more powerful, and it may just be the case that your PC can't handle it. If that's the case, maybe your PC is too old and slow and needs replacing.

Hope this helps.