FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Catch-All Address Required

medesignz
Having just transferred my domains direct to your hosting, I am having problems using my email, namely the catch-all email address. Reading site-helper.com/email it states that on the Email Menu there should be an option for such an address, but I dont seem to be able to find it.

Is it by request only? Twisted Evil
Bondings
medesignz wrote:
Having just transferred my domains direct to your hosting, I am having problems using my email, namely the catch-all email address. Reading site-helper.com/email it states that on the Email Menu there should be an option for such an address, but I dont seem to be able to find it.

Is it by request only? Twisted Evil

I'm sorry, but the catch-all email addresses feature is normally removed since a few years. The only thing they are good for, nowadays, is catch all spam and everyday tons more. Once spammers discover a new domain, they start sending email to all random addresses and if you accept it, they'll start sending more and more until our servers explode. Wink
Asap170
Quote:

I'm sorry, but the catch-all email addresses feature is normally removed since a few years. The only thing they are good for, nowadays, is catch all spam and everyday tons more. Once spammers discover a new domain, they start sending email to all random addresses and if you accept it, they'll start sending more and more until our servers explode. Wink

Well that isn't good... I know this really shouldn't go here, but how do these spammers make fake e-mails... they just host their own domain with a script or something..?
Bondings
Asap170 wrote:
Quote:

Well that isn't good... I know this really shouldn't go here, but how do these spammers make fake e-mails... they just host their own domain with a script or something..?

Nowadays a lot of the spam comes from botnets, mostly infected Windows machines. Or they register a lot of gmail/yahoo/msn email addresses (the captcha's are hacked so it's fairly cheap for one email address). And they simply send spam from there. By the way, with email you can easily change the from address, it's just a field. (this doesn't work with web mail as the mail isn't being sent from the local machine)
cr3ativ3
Asap170 wrote:

http://ca3.php.net/function.mail

Bondings wrote:

Nowadays a lot of the spam comes from botnets, mostly infected Windows machines. Or they register a lot of gmail/yahoo/msn email addresses (the captcha's are hacked so it's fairly cheap for one email address). And they simply send spam from there. By the way, with email you can easily change the from address, it's just a field. (this doesn't work with web mail as the mail isn't being sent from the local machine)

In regards to the botnets, which is why alot of ISPs (mine included) block outgoing port 25, so their networks arent being used for spamming.. Which is unfortunate for somet people that try to use their home environment for developing servers/php scripts that make use of mail() functions.

I think SMTP should be more secure or require more authentication, so that you need a valid address on the server.... for mail to get sent from, however I doubt we will see the day.