FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nice 'transparency' there...

Is the current administration 'transparent' as claimed?
Entirely
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kinda
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Not at all
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
The new definition of transparent is...
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

ocalhoun
Whitehouse.gov:
Quote:

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091026/D9BIO3800.html
'Anonymous officials' speaking about the new health care reform legislation...
Quote:
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss the private negotiations involving key Senate Democrats and the White House. They also stressed that no final decisions have been made on the details of the measure.

So, how's that transparency going?
Ophois
Does anyone really believe a politician who talks of 'transparency'?
I laugh every time a politician makes this BS claim. Our government has damn near invented, and surely mastered, the art of invisible governance. This government is like an absentee parent. They send us a check once in a while, maybe a phone call on Christmas, but for the most part, they just do their own thing, regardless of how we feel.

Obama is no different.
I loved how everyone thought he was going to be such a harbinger of peace and deliver us from corrupt government. Yeah. The day I buy that load of crap from a Chicago politician is the day I will put a gun in my mouth.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
Does anyone really believe a politician who talks of 'transparency'?
Not only politicians but definitely everyone else as well. When anyone uses the term "transparency", I immediately begin to smell a rat. Your reference to it sort of hit a soft spot here. While he was on his summer holidays a colleague of mine who is a project manager got stabbed in the back with regard to his budget proposal. Guess one thing he learned is not to go on a holiday when a budget proposal has not been approved yet. Anyway, in the e-mail that was circulated about total changes in the budget a remark was made of promising much greater transparency in future. Irony is that the revised budget was not attached to that e-mail. The word transparency was used for effect rather than with sincerity, so if one sees that word, one should immediately know that something is covered up by it.
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
Not only politicians but definitely everyone else as well. When anyone uses the term "transparency", I immediately begin to smell a rat. Your reference to it sort of hit a soft spot here. While he was on his summer holidays a colleague of mine who is a project manager got stabbed in the back with regard to his budget proposal. Guess one thing he learned is not to go on a holiday when a budget proposal has not been approved yet. Anyway, in the e-mail that was circulated about total changes in the budget a remark was made of promising much greater transparency in future. Irony is that the revised budget was not attached to that e-mail. The word transparency was used for effect rather than with sincerity, so if one sees that word, one should immediately know that something is covered up by it.
Sorry to hear it. If I had a nickel for every time I have been stabbed in the back by a friend or colleague, I could almost fill Obama's ears with nickels. And people wonder why I don't have any friends...

It reminds me of a Shakespeare line:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Any time someone is adamant about how innocent, or honest, or transparent they are, be wary. Those are usually the worst people.
After all, one of our most corrupt Presidents is most famous for saying "I am not a crook".
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
It reminds me of a Shakespeare line:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Any time someone is adamant about how innocent, or honest, or transparent they are, be wary. Those are usually the worst people.
After all, one of our most corrupt Presidents is most famous for saying "I am not a crook".
It is exactly like that. Transparency is mostly used in a "cloak and dagger" environment. Ditto if someone says: "I am an honest man". Now that immediately sends warning signals for me not to trust what this guy is saying.

If I hear the term "transparency" I immediately wonder what the person who is using the word is trying to hide from everyone else, or is he trying to "sell" honesty?
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
It is exactly like that. Transparency is mostly used in a "cloak and dagger" environment. Ditto if someone says: "I am an honest man". Now that immediately sends warning signals for me not to trust what this guy is saying.

If I hear the term "transparency" I immediately wonder what the person who is using the word is trying to hide from everyone else, or is he trying to "sell" honesty?
Here in the south, or maybe it's just my family, we tend to tell the girls: "Never trust a man that says 'trust me'", because all he wants to do is screw you. I think this pretty much applies to politicians, no?
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Here in the south, or maybe it's just my family, we tend to tell the girls: "Never trust a man that says 'trust me'", because all he wants to do is screw you. I think this pretty much applies to politicians, no?
Now that is my general motto. That sort of got drilled into me from when I was a kid. Never trust the guy who wears the cross on his arm, i.e. makes holy claims, such as "trust me".
LostOverThere
The fact that most politicians criticise members from their own party in private demonstrates that even on a personal level, politics will never truly be "transparent".

Additionally, by merely saying that the government intends to establish a certain level of transparency, to me, is them admitting that there is a problem in the first place.