FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a php IDE and Debugger tool

Possum
Hi

I use Delphi to write applications. Delphi has a step thru debugger that enables you to spot errors in your code. Is there a free debugger for php..?

I seem to remember a free IDE with a debugger but I've lost track of its name..

Anyway if you know of a tool that will help me write php please let me know..

Thank you..
Hogwarts
Possum wrote:
I use Delphi to write applications. Delphi has a step thru debugger that enables you to spot errors in your code. Is there a free debugger for php..?

Why yes, there is! It's called PHP.

Beyond the "you're asking a dumb question" remark, you really shouldn't need anything more than VIM or Notepad++ to write your code in -- otherwise you're .. quite likely just a terrible coder. At least, with PHP. I can see the need for more extensive applications for compiled languages or if you're doing something such as winforms; but beyond that, people have gone to a distinct level of stupidity in their coding by using (terrible, slowing) IDEs such as Eclipse and phped.
Aredon
Essentially your best bet is trial and error. (and http://www.php.net <3) There's not really any programs out there that I would recomend for checking your code. Basicaly keep bashing your head against it, you're bound to get it eventualy. One might say practice makes perfect? Smile
rockacola
I cannot recall any free PHP IDE.
The only one I used was Zend Studio, which I did not adopt..

I believe the best PHP IDE remain to be Notepad++ with superior debugging skill Very Happy
thnn
Netbeans now supports PHP development, and is one of the better IDE's I have used for PHP development. It is free of course, and available for Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris. It allows you to debug your code using XDebug, and also supports PHP Unit testing and MySql integration.
Diablosblizz
If set up correctly, phpDesigner can and will show you errors inside the IDE. The catch is, you need to have PHP installed somewhere on your computer. Like others have said, use php.net and the error message that is displayed on the page. phpDesigner is a good tool, but it is not free.
zacky
Possum wrote:
Hi

Thank you..

well you can use Dreamweaver CS4 if you want.. I'm comfortable using it, great tools which really helps me to develop of my projects, systems etc. in php..

But if you want free, then go ahead and download the most innovated and latest version of notepad++.. before i shift in Dreamweaver, that's what i'm using.. Very Happy
rvec
for finding the best editor:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-7995.html

For debugging some frameworks also supply debugging tools, or a cms could have a module or plugin that helps with that. Also you could use xdebug which really could help a lot when debugging or optimizing your code.
albuferque
Well, there's PHPEdit. I think you can try for free.
mindfox
In my oppinion, eclipse with php IDE package is one of the best free IDEs you can find.
It has plenty of addon modules which will make your life easier, has support for several php and javascript libraries (which means auto-completion, syntax check, etc) and if I remember correctly can also link to a php debugger and do a step-by-step code execution and all the sweet stuff a debugger allows you to do (as long as you install one to your server that runs php of course and give access to the host you're running eclipse).

I think that http://www.eclipse.org deserves a little of your time to give it a try.
bukaida
PHP Designer is an excellent IDE to try out.
sosoayaen
php in Eclipse?
rayxzero
thnn wrote:
Netbeans now supports PHP development, and is one of the better IDE's I have used for PHP development. It is free of course, and available for Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris. It allows you to debug your code using XDebug, and also supports PHP Unit testing and MySql integration.

I like Netbeans also when developing php. It support intellisense when you declare a new class for php.
dwxco
Eclipse is a really good editor, and with the php plugin, you should be all set:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpeclipse/
snowboardalliance
Hogwarts wrote:
Possum wrote:

Beyond the "you're asking a dumb question" remark, you really shouldn't need anything more than VIM or Notepad++ to write your code in -- otherwise you're .. quite likely just a terrible coder. At least, with PHP. I can see the need for more extensive applications for compiled languages or if you're doing something such as winforms; but beyond that, people have gone to a distinct level of stupidity in their coding by using (terrible, slowing) IDEs such as Eclipse and phped.

I disagree on being so quick to shoot down IDEs.

Yes, you can write PHP just fine in any editor (and you should really use something good with syntax highlighting at least).

But, to say using an IDE makes you a "terrible coder" seems kind of like a dumb generalization. IDEs can give you some nice features over a simple editor (code completion, class outlines, list of @todo tags, the ability to run php unit tests within the editor, etc.) that can make your life easier. Now maybe you don't NEED these, or you personally don't WANT them at all, but how does this type of editing make you a "terrible coder"?
Navigator
snowboardalliance wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
Possum wrote:

I disagree on being so quick to shoot down IDEs.

Yes, you can write PHP just fine in any editor (and you should really use something good with syntax highlighting at least).

But, to say using an IDE makes you a "terrible coder" seems kind of like a dumb generalization. IDEs can give you some nice features over a simple editor (code completion, class outlines, list of @todo tags, the ability to run php unit tests within the editor, etc.) that can make your life easier. Now maybe you don't NEED these, or you personally don't WANT them at all, but how does this type of editing make you a "terrible coder"?

I agree with you, I disagree with the generalization. IDEs aren't such a terrible thing, debugging old school can take up precious time.
D'Artagnan
I worked with both PHP and Delphi, i think you'll be quite confortable with eclipse or aptana, you'll just need to download PDT as a pluguin or you can go directly on http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/.

PDT doesn't come with a built in step through debugger but it does come with most of the familiar features you had on delphi , such as code completion, ctrl-click method finding etc.

as for a debugger, i never actually installed one because with php i never felt i needed one, but as far as i know you have a few good options, Xdebug and Zend Debugger, and it's a matter of installing them on your webserver and configuring eclipse to find them
macky
Possum wrote:
Hi

Thank you..

try zend.. it works perfect for php.. unfortunately it cost something.. if you want free, try gedit.. then to debug it, there is

some sites whom interest to debug your php script codes for you.. alternatively you could also use firebug.. there is a

version for php for it...
stop_it
Possum wrote:
Hi

Thank you..

Hello!
I use netbeans. I have tried som of the other mentioned but find them hard to set up and complicated to use while netbeans i very simple to set up end easy to use. I did also set up my own Apache server and mysql. This wasnt very hard even thoe I am not a freak at all. Follow the instructions. Just one thing - bevare of localhost vs 127.1.1.1 which isnt supported in php 5.3.3 and forward - means you have to write 127.1.1.1 andnot localhost. At the other hand the x.debugger doesnt work with lower than 5.3.3 so if you want to step through your code you'll have to use at least php 5.3.3.

Good luck!