FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to write an interesting story?

Cliffer
Is there any way like a software to make an interesting story?

or do you have any experience to write an interesting story?
_AVG_
Well, there's no fixed formula but you can try this out:

- Plan a plot with an out of the box / unexpected ending
- Make the characters and situations different i.e. a bit uncanny or "not normal" if you like
- Finally, write in a concise manner and keep the TONE and PACE brisk and thrilling

As I said, there's no fixed formula but give this a try.
Cliffer
_AVG_ wrote:
Well, there's no fixed formula but you can try this out:

- Plan a plot with an out of the box / unexpected ending
- Make the characters and situations different i.e. a bit uncanny or "not normal" if you like
- Finally, write in a concise manner and keep the TONE and PACE brisk and thrilling

As I said, there's no fixed formula but give this a try.

oh,thank you thank you.
venividivici
i've written a lot of beginings, but...
tchaunt
Unlike most things, writing is not a skill nor talent, but both. Some people are born as writers, others aren't. The important thing about writing is that the more you do it, the better you get. Another way to improve your writing is to simply read and pick up on styles. When I first started writing, I had no idea about the names of paragraph-organizing-methods such as "general to specific", "cause and effect", or "emphatic order", but I could still use them. How? Because I saw great examples of them in the books I read on a day-to-day basis.

A strategy that I use a lot came from an idea that I saw somewhere (which I can't remember). The concept was referred to as "six word stories". Using six words, you would try to create something very dramatic or exciting. I've adapted it so that I come up with a very dramatic sentence, and work a story around it. For example, I'll use this sentence, " 'I love you,' he wailed in agony as he pulled the trigger". The two basic categories for this would be suicide or homicide. I'll pick homicide. Now, since this man is shooting someone he loves (I'll make it his girl friend), he needs a pretty dang good reason why. I'm going to make this a post-apocalyptic outbreak. So the MC's girlfriend has contracted a virus that will cause her to kill everyone else in the group. The only way to survive is for the MC to shoot her.
From that little bit, you can start to consider all of the basic events that lead up to this climax, and then flesh them out. Before you realize it, you've got a short story.

There are plenty of other ways to get ideas for short stories, but the "sentence pulping" is my favorite...so far. If I find any others that actually work better for me, I'll post them.
sigT
venividivici wrote:
i've written a lot of beginings, but...

Smile

Possibly starting from the end is a more reliable approach. If you know what the end is, you would figure out what to start with. I read many long fiction sagas but have only recently questioned why some books, like The Lord of The Rings, are that long. That is, what allows the author to delay the final conclusion for such a long number of pages. First, obviously, authors of sagas are in some way or another attached to the process of writing. Second, I think the notion of a steady progress comes from the move towards the end that has been fixed already.
tchaunt
Honestly, what SigT said is absolutely true. It doesn't matter what you're doing in literary arts; if you start with the end in mind, it makes it a lot easier to finish any project. The concept applies to stories, murder mystery games, scripts, etc.
loyal
Cliffer wrote:
Is there any way like a software to make an interesting story?

or do you have any experience to write an interesting story?

A great story needs:
-a great plot
-alot of description of scenery, emotions, actions
-character developments (which will later allow "privatejokes"/"injokes" amongst the characters)
-occasional cliffhangers
-a sense of mystery (but not too much)

Peace.
sigT
loyal wrote:

A great story needs:
-a great plot

It seems that the original question is reduced to a number of smaller ones. For example, how to make a great plot then? Cheers Smile
Radar
To give both age old wisdom as well as probably being unhelpful - I believe the classic piece of advice is to write something that interests you.

I don't know. It obviously varies for different people. For me, something is interesting if it's new, unexplored, a place the reader hasn't been before. As a result, I'm unsurprisingly into science fiction and fantasy.