FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.co.cc domains .... are they legit?

deanhills
I did some searches and it would appear that one can register "free" domains with co.cc. I have not a clue what they are about? Does anyone know what the negatives or catches could be with having a .co.cc domain? How are they regarded by search engines for example? How do they compare with the other domains such as .com, .org etc?
Diablosblizz
Co.cc is not a TLD, it is NOT free. Well, it is free for the first year then after that you must pay a fee. It is legit, used them many of times as long as you don't mind the expiration.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
Co.cc is not a TLD, it is NOT free. Well, it is free for the first year then after that you must pay a fee. It is legit, used them many of times as long as you don't mind the expiration.
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like credit card specials? First year is always free Twisted Evil I think I prefer sub-domains, may use co.cc for something very temporary. If I have to pay for it, I'd rather have a .com.
Diablosblizz
Well it acts as a subdomain type thing, it just redirects that URL to your subdomain making it easier. There are some good, absolutly free, ones such as:

http://www.uni.cc/site/home.php
http://vze.com/
http://co.nr
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well it acts as a subdomain type thing, it just redirects that URL to your subdomain making it easier. There are some good, absolutly free, ones such as:

http://www.uni.cc/site/home.php
http://vze.com/
http://co.nr
Thanks, I checked them out and they do look good. One question however, how do we know that the www.uni.cc one won't be charging us in the next year?
dude_xyx
Those co.cc are subdomains and they are free only for first year. After that they charge a crazy annual fee. Something around 40$.
fladry
I like da.ru domains because they allow DNS and they are TOTALLY FREE. The only difficulty is that their site is in russian language. You just have to see the link and know what they mean.
alex_cyber
I always prefer uni.cc because it is life time only and have full dns control without ads
ProwerBot
co.cc charges after a year?
That sucks, I use them =/

Now I have to find a different provider thingy....
dude_xyx
Namepros used to offer free TLDs for their forum currency but not anymore. There aren't many places which offer real domains. I guess its time for everyone to start from a free blog earn money and use that to buy a real tld.
the-guide
I decided to moved all of my co.cc sites to TLD since they asked me to pay the fee and no longer use them!
william
Yeah, I noted that problem with .co.cc. Sad When I saw it, I thought it was great because I could get short subdomains with many options available (that were taken, for example, at .co.nr). It's ridiculous that you have to pay after the first year. Nowhere on the site was I able to find that critical point, although I haven't read all of the fine print. It is, in a word, sad.
rorise
It is told that CO.CC is free in case of the domain you get is not so good to need to pay, but domains like "subdomain.CO.CC" is not a top level domain, even though you can get DNS sevice from CO.CC. However, It is very useful when you need to get some hosting service that you need to have a domain who's dns can be changed to somewhere. Especially it can be FREE!
rorise
Well, I get something more to say, I recommend "CZ.CC" to those who need free domain, It's really free! All you need to do after 1years is to renew you CZ.CC domain, and the dns service is much faster then CO.CC, Co.tv is very good too. Take a try!
metalfreek
What the hell. They charge after 1 year? i have just made a forum out of this domain. I was planning to make this forum a great one but bad news struck in the beginning.
rickylau
I would like to say that my co.cc domains have not been charged so far. What I've been told is that the co.cc domain is free as long as it is for personal usage. One of my co.cc domains originally expires last year and at that time the admin told me to ignore renew message and my domain remains accessible now. (Seems that now you need to click [renew] and choose personal use to keep the co.cc domain free)

Anyway, other services just like cz.cc mentioned look not different from co.cc and sound not bad. Just registered few names there, I would use both of these services, that maybe better than just one of them is used.

(Ah, why no one talk about freedns.afraid.org? There are a number of 4-letter domains or even 3-letter domains available and I love it a lot.)
ganjour
use domain co.cc is not meaningful, as sites in this domain are not indexed by search engines
rickylau
dillukumar (actually I Laughing) wrote:
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:17 am Post subject:
I would like to say that my co.cc domains have not been charged so far. What I've been told is that the co.cc domain is free as long as it is for personal usage. One of my co.cc domains originally expires last year and at that time the admin told me to ignore renew message and my domain remains accessible now. (Seems that now you n
Man you are just copying others' replies? You have to use quote tag to quote your whole message Laughing
dude_xyx
When you can get a .info domain for $0.89 using these sub domain sites are not useful. except for making a site network for back linking.
mtorregiani
dude_xyx wrote:
When you can get a .info domain for $0.89 using these sub domain sites are not useful. except for making a site network for back linking.

I agree, but on the other hand, this site is useful for people without credit cards, or Paypal, or other payment processor.
epspk
ProwerBot wrote:
co.cc charges after a year?
That sucks, I use them =/

Now I have to find a different provider thingy....

demn! Me too! I thought its still free after a year...
samuelk
but someone said its free
menino
At the current moment, as far as I can see, .co domains are not free.

but a .co domain will prove to be almost as good as a .com domain if not better, as from a marketing point of view .co is just shorter to type and most COmpanies wud prefer it to .com, especially if the .com name is already taken.