FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft Office 2010

HalfBloodPrince
Has anyone tried/used it? The beta is my main office suite right now. I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far; much better UI integration with Windows 7 than Office 2007 had, and I've also noticed that Word (and probably other apps too) launch a lot quicker.
Diablosblizz
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the 2010 preview. Sad I'd love to try it though.
adri
I just looked up some information about microsoft office 2010. It looks good and there are a lot of programs that come with it. The lay-out is pretty similar with the 2007 edition.

Some screens:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/01/leaked-first-office-14-screenshots.ars

Adri. Smile
rockacola
There has been talks in the office along with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and Office Web App... but seriously, no one give a damn about further version of Office... :-/
HalfBloodPrince
rockacola wrote:
There has been talks in the office along with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and Office Web App... but seriously, no one give a damn about further version of Office... :-/

Why not? In my opinion, MS is on the right path with Office 2010. It feels snappier than 2007 did (and this is just a beta), applications load much faster, and MS is making free online versions of the applications to keep up with Google. Oh and it takes advantage of Aero glass too Very Happy
rockacola
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
rockacola wrote:

Why not? In my opinion, MS is on the right path with Office 2010. It feels snappier than 2007 did (and this is just a beta), applications load much faster, and MS is making free online versions of the applications to keep up with Google. Oh and it takes advantage of Aero glass too Very Happy

I guess I am not an extensive Office user, but I see no drastic difference since Office 2000, IMO each newer version of Office only loads slower and maybe there will be a change in wind for Office 2010.

GoogleDoc is killing their market, Microsoft needs to response to them.

And since when aero effect helps your documentation? Wink
menino
I think office 2010 might be better, as it will integrate with sharepoint, and exchange better.

I belive that it will also integrate with Microsoft's online services, to edge on the competition with Google.
We shall have to wait, use, be used and see.
Diablosblizz
As the rate that Microsoft is going, with Windows 7, I've got a feeling that Office 2010 will load faster and perform better. I've never had a problem with 2007, and still using it on my Windows machine with Open Office on Ubuntu.
deanhills
I'm looking forward to Office 2010. 2007 was so radically different from2003 and there were many things that need improvements and I'm almost certain the new Office package will sort out all the bugs from before. I see that Visio is also included in the MS Office group, as well as Sharepoint Designer. Can't wait to try it out next year.
mgeek
I liked the preview of OneNote and Outlook 2010. MSWord 2010 looks better than 2007
dickyzin
I have yet to try Microsoft Office 2010. I have yet to upgrade to Windows 7 as well. I am deciding if I should go for 64 bits or 32 bits since I'm getting a new PC anyways.
crimson_aria
I also still haven't upgraded to windows 7. oh, there's a new Office? would love to try it.
loyal
Peace.

Does anyone know what the major changes are, apart from themes or tweaks, in 2010 from 2007?

Does anyone miss frontpage lol?
fullmetalalki
lol, i haven't tried windows 7 yet either. i figure that it's still buggy because it has only just been released. I'm going to install it during the summer when they've made a few fixes. for windows office, they've been pretty good with it so i'd like to check it out.
HalfBloodPrince
fullmetalalki wrote:
lol, i haven't tried windows 7 yet either. i figure that it's still buggy because it has only just been released. I'm going to install it during the summer when they've made a few fixes. for windows office, they've been pretty good with it so i'd like to check it out.

No, the final build was made in July. It's been four months since then and therefore four months of testing the final, final, final build. I haven't encountered a single "bug" in this yet, and to think of it, I didn't with the beta or RC either. Don't wait, just get it Razz
loyal
fullmetalalki wrote:

Urgh, i hate it when people say that. There's always a potential to find a bug, even after years of testing. Are you going to wait until service pack thirty is released before you upgrade? You might as well wait until support for 7 is turned off in 2014 (or whenever it is).

lol, just upgrade.

Peace.
harismushtaq
When Vista and Office 2007 were out, I heard people saying that Vista is the last windows and office 2007 is the last version of MS office. Now we have new versions of both the applications. Vista and Office 2007 were generally not very famous with software critics. There are still crtitics talking against Windows 7. I wonder if MS is going to revive the windows and office fame it once had specially with the windows XP and office 2003.
silverdown
2010 wow, i never heard of it thanks for sharing Smile
lethaltriad
I'm still on Office 2007 and right now it does all i need for it to do but then again i mostly do graphics and music so it will take me a while to upgrade or if i get a new pc with it bundled. I'll check it out though for the new features.
jilbs
i've used it from my friend's PC. there is not much change on the feature if you are just into type and print user.
ahnguye5
I've only used Powerpoint so far. Here are some key features that I really liked:

> There are lots of new effects you can add to your pictures, transitions, etc.
> You can now embed videos either from the internet, youtube perhaps, or from your hard drive. I don't remember or know how it was before, but the pictures and videos you add to the powerpoint become a part of it. That is, you don't have to keep the picture or video around after you've added it.
> It does load much faster than 2007
mukesh
I donot know about Microsoft Office 2010 beta. But i like Microsoft Office 2003 better then 2007. i might Microsoft Office 2010 must be better then 2003 and 2007. Smile
slashnburn99
Found the 2007 version two slow compared to 2003

Hope thy reverted back to 2003 for the 2010 version
deanhills
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Has anyone tried/used it? The beta is my main office suite right now. I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far; much better UI integration with Windows 7 than Office 2007 had, and I've also noticed that Word (and probably other apps too) launch a lot quicker.
Where can one get hold of the Beta version?
driftingfe3s
deanhills wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Where can one get hold of the Beta version?

You can get it from the Microsoft Office website: http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx I think you'll be able to use it until the retail version goes gold I think later this month.
deanhills
driftingfe3s wrote:
You can get it from the Microsoft Office website: http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx I think you'll be able to use it until the retail version goes gold I think later this month.
Thanks driftingfe3s. Think I will try it out in the summer. The deadline is end of October. Microsoft FAQs:
Quote:
Does the Beta version of Office 2010 expire after certain time?
The beta version of Office 2010 will expire in October 2010. Users can choose to download the trial or buy the full version of Office 2010 at that time.
Iguleder
I don't like Office 2007 and 2010, I like 2003's interface way better. Maybe that's why I like OpenOffice 3 Very Happy

I find that crappy "Ribbon" thing annoying, it's hard to find things on it.
iman
I think the older design (2007) is better than the beta. Especially the office icon.

And yeah, the office ribbon takes a while to get used to
dickyzin
In Office 2010, I like how the Ribbon can be minimised. Also the text decoration functions are better and cooler in MS Word 2010. One thing I hate about MS Word 2010 is that the Insert Picture from Scanner feature is not there any more. I use this feature a lot with MS Word 2003.
iman
dickyzin wrote:
In Office 2010, I like how the Ribbon can be minimised. Also the text decoration functions are better and cooler in MS Word 2010. One thing I hate about MS Word 2010 is that the Insert Picture from Scanner feature is not there any more. I use this feature a lot with MS Word 2003.

You can actually minimize the ribbon in 2007.
loyal
Iguleder wrote:
I find that crappy "Ribbon" thing annoying, it's hard to find things on it.

I used to think that too. But then I got used to it. And now I love it, because it's so well-organised. Just keep using it and you'll get used to it.

Peace.
anakin_skyrunner
I was overwhelmed by the Technical Preview last summer and then again by the beta and now that I have bought the final version I'm really impressed how they fine-tuned Office 2007, just like they fine-tuned Windows Vista.
Whilst the largest change for me is Backstage and the speed of all the applications, I really love the hardware accelerated animations in PowerPoint. It really does make a change compared to the old ones, which I can't see any more xD Whenever I could use my notebook for presentations at school, I used it - just to get the nice effects and transitions^^

But really, all in all I really like what Microsoft has developed here. Nice piece of software!
menino
Yes, I'm using it, mainly because of Outlook 2010, and I like it, especially the conversation option in it, so it groups related emails together.
Although I like it, its a little slow in performance for a dual core machine and 1GB ram.

Hopefully soon, I'll be getting a better machine and use it on.
deanhills
menino wrote:
Yes, I'm using it, mainly because of Outlook 2010, and I like it, especially the conversation option in it, so it groups related emails together.
Although I like it, its a little slow in performance for a dual core machine and 1GB ram.

That seems to be happening every time when there is new Microsoft Office software. It needs more memory and space. Every time there has been a major change, I have had to get a new computer at work, after struggles of course. Probably also why we do not have MS Office 2010 yet, as possibly our IT people are anticipating a drain on their manpower resources including upgrade of hardware.
anakin_skyrunner
deanhills wrote:
menino wrote:

That seems to be happening every time when there is new Microsoft Office software. It needs more memory and space. Every time there has been a major change, I have had to get a new computer at work, after struggles of course. Probably also why we do not have MS Office 2010 yet, as possibly our IT people are anticipating a drain on their manpower resources including upgrade of hardware.

Err guys, please have a look at this table first:
arstechnica.com Comparison 2003-2007-2010 Requirements

Space, yes - it now needs up to 3GB of space - but take a look at processor and RAM specs. Every computer that I know fulfills these requirements.

EDIT: Oh and btw, my Office Professional Plus installation is about 1.09GB in size and I used the default installation setting Smile
Da Rossa
I tried. Veeery good IMO!
First, the interface, which has become even more eye-candgy than 2007's. Also, the ribbon is now customizable. And Word appears to have got more inetellingent when auto-correcting typos.
I think it's worth an upgrade.
jilbs
I tried too. but i was kind of lost on the toolbars. hahaha. i'm used to do things with office 2003 and able to do things i need to. ^_^ thanks to fileformat converters and im also able to edit 2007/2010 office files.

still learning office 2010. ^_^
Da Rossa
jilbs wrote:
I tried too. but i was kind of lost on the toolbars. hahaha. i'm used to do things with office 2003 and able to do things i need to. ^_^ thanks to fileformat converters and im also able to edit 2007/2010 office files.

still learning office 2010. ^_^

The principles are the same. Besides the new functionalities and the program have been rewritten in a good part, the impact is on the new ribbon. People should have already got used to it. 2010 is even better because the ribbon is customizable, while in 2007 it wasn't.