FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Subscription to all threads in a forum (including new ones)

infinisa
Hello All

Is it possible to subscribe to ALL the threads in a forum (including ones that will be started in the future?)

If not, can this be made possible?

In my case, I should like to have an automatic subscription to all threads (existing and future ones) in the forum Science -> Basics.

Of course, such a function would need complementary "opt-out" functions:
- Cancel automatic subscription to the forum
- Cancel subscription to all threads in the forum
- Cancel subscription to individual threads in the forum

Thanks in advance!
Bondings
What you want is a subscription to the forum, I think. Every time someone posts something in that forum, you get an email? The bad thing about it (I think) is that this is very resource intensive, especially if used by a lot of users, and you'll also get a lot of emails.
infinisa
Hi Bondings
Bondings wrote:
What you want is a subscription to the forum, I think. Every time someone posts something in that forum, you get an email? The bad thing about it (I think) is that this is very resource intensive, especially if used by a lot of users, and you'll also get a lot of emails.

Thanks for your reply. You're right, what I am asking for is a subscription to the forum.

However, I don't agree when you say "Every time someone posts something in that forum, you get an email". What happens in the Frihost forums (as you well know) is that when you subscribe to a thread, you only a get a single e-mail for all the posts to that thread until you actually follow the link. As it happens, the forum I would like to subscribe to - Science -> Basics - (unlike some others, I'm sure) doesn't have that many threads or posts, so I wouldn't get that many e-mails.

An alternative to what I suggested (that I would be happy with) would be to be notified every time a new thread is posted to the forum.

BTW, is there any way to subscribe to a thread without actually posting to it?
ocalhoun
infinisa wrote:

An alternative to what I suggested (that I would be happy with) would be to be notified every time a new thread is posted to the forum.

If only that was possible... I would really like to have that on my own forum, but there just isn't a way without programming it myself, which I don't want to do.
Quote:

The 'watch this topic for replies' link on the bottom left.
infinisa
Hello ocalhoun
ocalhoun wrote:
infinisa wrote:

If only that was possible... I would really like to have that on my own forum, but there just isn't a way without programming it myself, which I don't want to do.
Quote:

The 'watch this topic for replies' link on the bottom left.

Thanks for the tip about how to subscribe to a topic.

I'm not sure what you meant by "I would really like to have that on my own forum". Is this an official answer saying that this is not possible on Frihost , or are you talking about your own forum based on a different software package?
ocalhoun
infinisa wrote:

I'm not sure what you meant by "I would really like to have that on my own forum". Is this an official answer saying that this is not possible on Frihost , or are you talking about your own forum based on a different software package?

I'm talking about my own forum, based on the same software, but not Frihost.
I am saying it's probably impossible (just very hard really), but not officially, 'cause I'm not Frihost staff.
Vrythramax
Some software, like vBulletin, have the functionality of subscribing to a thread (also social groups, friends lists, etc.), but I am unaware of any mods for phpBB that would do what your describing beyond the built-in function.

If anyone does find something along these lines please let me know...I wouldn't mind trying it out myself Smile