FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

menino
by Zola Gorgon - Author of several cookbooks....

"I have used an onion which has been left in the fridge, and sometimes I don't use a whole one at one time, so save the other half for later. Now with this info, I have changed my mind....will buy smaller onionsin the future.
I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, makersof mayonnaise. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sistersin the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist. The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers. Edis a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.
Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour,someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made Mayo is completely safe.
"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaiseis set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the quaint essential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick. Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and wherethose onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not themayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.
He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especiallyuncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.
It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!) Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and puton your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and themoist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster thanany commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.
So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason,I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.'
Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions."
driftingfe3s
Wow, interesting information. It's odd though because I usually never use a whole onion and I have half slices of onion and use them later, either leaving them out or in the fridge, and I've never had a problem getting sick from it.
Jinx
Shame on you. Unless you are Zola Gorgon, this post is stolen, and it isn't even entirely accurate.

You can find the whole story at http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/cutonions.asp.

Mayo is too acidic for bacterial growth, but then again, so is a freshly cut onion.
deanhills
Amazing to think that not only the meat in a hamburger bun, but also the onion can have bacteria that can be "dangerous" for your health. I can however see truth in it, as a little while ago, I went through a phase of buying pre-packaged fresh chopped spanish onion, and really enjoyed it. However I found it coming up with a strange smell by day three, and at this stage usually threw out the rest of the onion in the package. I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore, as I cut up all of the onion and consume all of what I have cut up. My instincts must have been good, although at the time I did not understand that there had been bacteria responsible for the smell, and that cut onions that have been standing around in the fridge can be bad for you. Good to know. Thanks for posting this. Wonder whether this would also apply to the other "fresh" ingredients such as peppers, lettuce, tomato etc.
peaceupnorth
This onion thing is pretty silly... if it were really that dangerous, I'd have been sick many times from doing just what he suggests not to do. I've used onions left on the counter two days, and ones in the fridge over a week, maybe over 2 weeks even... nope, no food poisoning.

Sure, food safety is important, but I have never heard of cut onions being dangerous, and I have done the Food Safe program, which is a hypochondriac's delight, a very paranoid and germ-phobic program. Also, all the restaurants I've worked in pre-slice their onions, sometimes days in advance. If that mayonnaise guy's warnings about onions would be true, every restaurant salad in the country would be dangerous.

No, vegetables are pretty safe. The main source of germs in the modern kitchen is chicken products... very dangerous and very very serious diseases are linked with commercial chicken like listeria, campylobacter and salmonella of course. These DO kill many many people every year.
RubySlasher
Reminds me. One time a friend of mine did an experiment for a high school science fair. They essentially just looked at how well of an antibacterial that onion is (through growth of bacterial cultures in it).
It's not very good at being an antibacterial. (Unlike garlic.)
But onion's still delicious, so I'll take my chances.
furtasacra
If leftover onions are poisonous, then I've apparently been dead of poisoning for decades and didn't even know it.

My god, if you're going to copy and paste for points, at least find something useful and informative instead of something retarded.
bloodrider
wow... life altering information for me