FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interracial couple denied marriage license in USA

handfleisch
Not exactly another proud moment in US history...

Quote:
Interracial couple denied marriage license in Tangipahoa Parish
By The Associated Press
October 16, 2009, 6:15AM

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with black people and white people, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2½ years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/10/interracial_couple_denied_marr.html
missdixy
Yea, I read this a few days ago and was just in shock. His conclusion that "most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society" just sounds so silly to me, especially having more than a few friends who are children from interracial relationships. And I am very glad they're going to file a complaint.

ugh, sorry, I just can't imagine someone doing this kind of thing even today! Makes me sick.
deanhills
I just could not believe it was real. This guy has to be behind the times by at least a few decades. Is he getting away with it though, isn't it illegal to discriminate against race and colour?
ocalhoun
Yet another reason to adopt my plan for marriage.

It should be viewed strictly as a religious ceremony.
There would be no marriage license, no legal or tax differences for married people, no mechanism for the government to approve or deny a marriage.

Want to get married to somebody of a different race, same sex, or even different species? All you'd have to do is find a church or chapel willing to perform the ceremony. (And your marriage would be exactly as legitimate and respectable as that church or chapel is.)

(In fact, I find government regulation of marriage to be the worst violation of the separation of church and state that exists today.)
*spin-off time!*
Ophois
Two words in Bardwell's title that he neither deserves, nor has he earned.
"Justice" and "Peace".
How can he claim to stand for either one of those?
This is my favorite part...
Some old racist jerk-off wrote:
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"
Yeah. And wolves aren't carnivores, they just don't believe in eating vegetables.
Oh, and my second favorite tidbit of Judicial wisdom...
Mister 'equality' himself wrote:
"I try to treat everyone equally,"
Unless they try to marry outside of their race, of course. What says "equality" better than telling someone that they can't get married, because race mixing is wrong?
What is this? 1920?
deanhills wrote:
I just could not believe it was real. This guy has to be behind the times by at least a few decades. Is he getting away with it though, isn't it illegal to discriminate against race and colour?
Well, apparently Bobby Jindal is calling for an investigation, so hopefully he gets canned before his term is up in 2014.
ocalhoun wrote:
Yet another reason to adopt my plan for marriage.
Absolutely.
SonLight
I have to admit that I can appreciate his point of view. If he were merely counseling against interracial marriages instead of adamantly refusing, I would say he was well-intentioned but a bit behind the times.

At one point I thought about the possibility of interracial dating and decided against it, on the ground that I really shouldn't date anyone who wasn't a potential candidate for marriage, and I thought marriage inadvisable because I thought the children would have too much difficulty. I do believe society has matured to the point where I would not reach the same conclusion today, though.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
I have to admit that I can appreciate his point of view. If he were merely counseling against interracial marriages instead of adamantly refusing, I would say he was well-intentioned but a bit behind the times.

At one point I thought about the possibility of interracial dating and decided against it, on the ground that I really shouldn't date anyone who wasn't a potential candidate for marriage, and I thought marriage inadvisable because I thought the children would have too much difficulty. I do believe society has matured to the point where I would not reach the same conclusion today, though.

Our president is mixed-race... Mixed-race kids can't have it that much worse than 'purebreds'!
Ophois
This guy is just thinking with a 1940's point of view. A lot of older people are stuck in that frame of mind, even though they know, logically, that times have changed, their attitudes just haven't caught up. I was immediately disgusted with this story, but then I read a few different articles about it.

Don't worry, I didn't change my position, I still think it's messed up, but I don't think this guy even realizes how backwards his views are. It's sad, more than anything else. I doubt he really has seen a bunch of mixed race kids getting the crappy treatment, at least not in a couple decades. Some kids do get made fun of by other kids, and some families do disown their own for mixing, but I seriously doubt this guy has seen it happen so often in recent times that it affects his decision on marrying mixed couples. Most likely, he just simply doesn't like race mixing, because that's how he was raised, and that's that.

He says "most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships". Good to know we got an old white guy from the Deep South prepared to speak on behalf of the black community. He also claims that most mixed race marriages don't last long. How would he know? He never married any mixed race couples. Did he do a years long study on the marriage duration of mixed race couples versus non-mixed race couples? What qualifies him as an expert in this field?

He's a sad old man, and it will be a good day when he is no longer in a position to do this sort of thing.
deanhills
@Ophois. Well written. I don't know where the judge gets "most of black society" from, but perhaps his decision is symbolic of racism still being alive and well in certain parts of the United States, specifically the Missississipi area and in Louisiana? Perhaps someone with a darker skin tone has a much better chance of being treated well if they (1) come from a wealthy family (2) attended a good school and is well educated, and (3) is living in one of the much larger metropolitan places such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York, etc.

I seem to recall that Frihosters had a really good discussion about this in the "Interracial Talk" Thread in the Relationships Forum.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
@Ophois. Well written. I don't know where the judge gets "most of black society" from, but perhaps his decision is symbolic of racism still being alive and well in certain parts of the United States

Oh, racism is alive and well... and it always will be as long as humans are humans. We have, however, accomplished quite a lot, because the level of it is very low in this country, and because it has more or less evened out, with all races being evenly victimized by racism.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
We have, however, accomplished quite a lot, because the level of it is very low in this country, and because it has more or less evened out, with all races being evenly victimized by racism.
No doubt about that, the United States has made giant strides through real struggles, and so has the world at large as well. The United States has a lot to be proud about in the progress it has made. Every now and then however we are reminded that there is still some work to be done. Not only in the United States, but everywhere in the world.