FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

African "witch" children tortured and killed

HalfBloodPrince
This just about killed any shred of faith I had in the human race. Reading things like this makes me want to crawl into a little box and play Halo 3 all day and not face life.
MSNBC wrote:
EKET, Nigeria - The 9-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall.

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him — Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

"It is an outrage what they are allowing to take place in the name of Christianity," said Gary Foxcroft, head of nonprofit Stepping Stones Nigeria.

Read the rest at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33356826/ns/world_news-africa/

...Their own mothers, for ******'s sake.
ocalhoun
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
faith I had in the human race.

I lost that a long time ago! This story isn't surprising at all.
Quote:
Reading things like this makes me want to crawl into a little box and play Halo 3 all day and not face life.

It makes me want to renounce my humanity and live with horses.
deanhills
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
This just about killed any shred of faith I had in the human race. Reading things like this makes me want to crawl into a little box and play Halo 3 all day and not face life.
Agreed. This has to be the extreme in horrible of what human beings can do. Not to mention forcing children into child labour, as well as forcing children into war, and forcing children to kill their own family as proof of their manhood.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Agreed. This has to be the extreme in horrible of what human beings can do. Not to mention forcing children into child labour, as well as forcing children into war, and forcing children to kill their own family as proof of their manhood.

And, of course, forcing adults to do all the same things.
tchaunt
I remember that time all so long ago when I looked up to other humans when I was a little kid. I can imagine looking up to many people any more. It's sad what the human race has done, and continues to do. Even worse, most of it gets justified in biased history books. For instance, "Americans" had to wipe out Native Americans because otherwise, we wouldn't be alive today. And Americans were the good guys in the Revolutionary War. And even worse, America decides it's not safe for other countries to have nuclear technology, even though we're known for the most drastic nuclear attack ever. Humans will be humans. No matter how much technology advances, stupid things happen for stupid reasons.
ocalhoun
tchaunt wrote:
Even worse, most of it gets justified in biased history books.

The good guys always win because the winners are the ones who write the history books, and they decide who the 'good guys' are.

If Hitler had won WWII, we'd be reading history books about the glorious conquest of the globe, despite the actions of those horrible impure other countries.
Ophois
Quote:
Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."
As disturbing as this news is, I actually see progress. Call me an optimist. Centuries ago, these kinds of things were not committed by "renegade local branches", but sanctioned by the Mother Church Herself. This story is by no means good news, but at least the core of Christianity is condemning it, even though the words of their own book are being used to justify these atrocious acts.

Something that makes me wonder, though...
Before these people were introduced to Christianity, did they even have witches? If so, what did they do about it before they were told not to "suffer a witch to live"? This is why I despise the spreading of religion. These very extreme ideas, such as witches and demons and such, are introduced to cultures who then take them very literally, and sometimes it ends in tragic acts of violence. I don't necessarily blame the religion itself, but when you sell an idea as powerful as this, you become responsible for how it's used by those to whom you sold it.
ocalhoun
Ophois wrote:

Before these people were introduced to Christianity, did they even have witches?

Oh yes, they did. (Though their 'witches' were (and probably still are) more along the lines of a Native American 'medicine man' than the western idea of a 'witch'. Their witches would often be a respected part of the tribe, and may or may not be evil. They'd be more likely to perform a healing dance over a sick tribesman or roam the country in the shape of a cheetah than to summon the devil or brew potions...)
Naturally, these 'witches' were the leaders of what passed for religion with them.
The Christian church, of course, would want to get rid of these 'pagan' beliefs, and would no doubt target their leaders.
Ophois
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh yes, they did. (Though their 'witches' were (and probably still are) more along the lines of a Native American 'medicine man' than the western idea of a 'witch'. Their witches would often be a respected part of the tribe, and may or may not be evil. They'd be more likely to perform a healing dance over a sick tribesman or roam the country in the shape of a cheetah than to summon the devil or brew potions...)
Yeah I know they had and still have different types of spiritual people, but I wasn't sure if they had what could be viewed as "malevolent" types of witches, something more akin to what Christianity taught them.
Quote:
Naturally, these 'witches' were the leaders of what passed for religion with them.
The Christian church, of course, would want to get rid of these 'pagan' beliefs, and would no doubt target their leaders.
I was wondering that too. How much of these churches were actually "renegade local branches" as they claim, and how much of this witch-purging is actually being propagated by foreign missionaries, in order to rid the people of certain customs of which the church does not like?

It's possible I might have to retract my statement about progress being made, if it turns out that these indigenous people are being "taught" how to spot and deal with witches by their non-indigenous church leaders.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
If Hitler had won WWII, we'd be reading history books about the glorious conquest of the globe, despite the actions of those horrible impure other countries.
Well at least here is one example where we can say that there is at least good in the human race, as they did manage to get rid of Hitler, albeit at a very BIG price in terms of human lives lost and mass destruction to the world environment. My only criticism would have been that the world should have sorted out Hitler in his very beginnings. Took the world a long time to wake up to all the atrocities that he had been committing. The only time when countries got involved was when they had been directly implicated.

Ophois wrote:
I was wondering that too. How much of these churches were actually "renegade local branches" as they claim, and how much of this witch-purging is actually being propagated by foreign missionaries, in order to rid the people of certain customs of which the church does not like?
I wonder if this is not only limited to churches though, but to society as a whole, but in maybe a different form? People turning on people and making them "witches", or going on "witch" hunting in order to get more power, such as is still prevalent in some of the Governments in Africa. Zimbabwe would be an excellent example of it, where the whole Matabele tribe had been exterminated as part of a "witch" hunting exercise. Ditto a few decades ago with Stalin in Russia, and Mao Tse Tung in China.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Ophois wrote:
I wonder if this is not only limited to churches though, but to society as a whole, but in maybe a different form? People turning on people and making them "witches", or going on "witch" hunting in order to get more power, such as is still prevalent in some of the Governments in Africa. Zimbabwe would be an excellent example of it, where the whole Matabele tribe had been exterminated as part of a "witch" hunting exercise. Ditto a few decades ago with Stalin in Russia, and Mao Tse Tung in China.

Ditto the cold-war USA hunting down communists.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Right, I still can't believe something like that happening in the United States however. Amazing that that would be possible in a country with so much personal freedom. One sort of expects something like this in fascist countries. Has to have been an enormous "oops" in the history of the United States.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Right, I still can't believe something like that happening in the United States however. Amazing that that would be possible in a country with so much personal freedom. One sort of expects something like this in fascist countries. Has to have been an enormous "oops" in the history of the United States.

There are quite a lot of 'oops' moments in the history of every nation, USA included.
How about the real witch hunts in Salem? Or the concentration camps for WWII Japanese-Americans? ...Twisted Evil Modern examples... Or Guantanamo? Or the 'no fly list'?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

There are quite a lot of 'oops' moments in the history of every nation, USA included.
How about the real witch hunts in Salem? Or the concentration camps for WWII Japanese-Americans? ...Twisted Evil Modern examples... Or Guantanamo? Or the 'no fly list'?
Completely forgotten about the Japanese Americans. That was really bad. Gitmo for me .... well that is not the same as the Japanese Americans is it? The part that makes Gitmo horrible though is that the detention has become one of incarceration, and it is continuing under Obama.
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
Completely forgotten about the Japanese Americans. That was really bad. Gitmo for me .... well that is not the same as the Japanese Americans is it? The part that makes Gitmo horrible though is that the detention has become one of incarceration, and it is continuing under Obama.
It's not much different, just done to a lesser degree. For instance, Jamil al Banna was taken into custody while on a business trip to Gambia, from his home in London. The suspicions about him would not have existed, and he would not have been detained, had he not been of Jordanian(or similar) descent. The Japanese-American detention was much worse, but it was ultimately the same thing.
Quote:
Yeah, this particular OOPS is kind of unbelievable. When McCarthy announced in 1950 that he had a list of members of the Communist party and members of a spy ring who all worked in the State Department, then couldn't prove a thing, it's amazing anyone took him seriously enough afterward to let him run his witch hunt. He even accused Trumans administration and the US Army of being infiltrated by Commies. Of course, he could never prove any of it, but that didn't stop him from discrediting and ruining peoples' careers and lives.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
Yeah, this particular OOPS is kind of unbelievable. When McCarthy announced in 1950 that he had a list of members of the Communist party and members of a spy ring who all worked in the State Department, then couldn't prove a thing, it's amazing anyone took him seriously enough afterward to let him run his witch hunt. He even accused Trumans administration and the US Army of being infiltrated by Commies. Of course, he could never prove any of it, but that didn't stop him from discrediting and ruining peoples' careers and lives.
What is particularly amazing is how people turned on one another as a consequence, when they were more or less coerced in spying on one another to save their own skins. There were so many human tragedies created that had very little to do with communism.
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
What is particularly amazing is how people turned on one another as a consequence, when they were more or less coerced in spying on one another to save their own skins. There were so many human tragedies created that had very little to do with communism.
Yes. A very dark and low point in US history, hopefully a mistake we will not have to make twice to learn from. I had a fear not too long ago that it was coming around again. Directly after we attacked Iraq, anyone opposing the war was being labeled "unpatriotic", and France(amongst others) was being treated like dirt in the media, thanks to the administration and their cohorts.

The "unpatriotic" label was looking dangerously like "Communist" for a little while. People really lost their heads, because everyone was so upset about the WTC attacks, so if you opposed the war, you were somehow in favor of the terrorist attacks. It was scary. In Arizona, an Indian Sikh was beaten to death by a group of men because he was dark skinned and wearing a turban, so they assumed he was Arab/Muslim. There were a few cases like that, and I treated more than my share of dark complected people who got attacked in dark parking lots for "looking Arab".

Sometimes I really hate how short of an attention span the US has as a whole, but in this case, I was truly grateful. People went back to being their jaded, apathetic selves after a while. No neo-McCarthy-ism for war protesters, and thankfully we didn't round up every Arab in the States and lock them up like we would have done 50 years ago. Every now and then I think about how screwy the US can be, but then I see how far we have come in such a short time, and I am very proud to be a part of this place.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
Sometimes I really hate how short of an attention span the US has as a whole
I don't think it is just the US. I think this is the whole of mankind. Probably because our life spans are so limited, we seem to have great difficulty to learn from lessons of history.
ocalhoun
Ophois wrote:

The "unpatriotic" label was looking dangerously like "Communist" for a little while. .

We avoided that, but the 'no fly list' still affects many people with restrictions and surveillance... people who have not been charged or convicted of any crime.
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
I don't think it is just the US. I think this is the whole of mankind. Probably because our life spans are so limited, we seem to have great difficulty to learn from lessons of history.
Yeah I guess so. Maybe just because the US is in the news so much, we tend to not see other nations faults reflecting our own.
ocalhoun wrote:
We avoided that, but the 'no fly list' still affects many people with restrictions and surveillance... people who have not been charged or convicted of any crime.
Like when they detained Cat Stevens after he converted to Islam, and his name is now Yousuf Islam. Any fool could have figured out who he was in 10 minutes, and that he was no danger to National Security. But what did they do? They put him on the 'no fly' list because of his name, detained him, and separated him from his 14 year old daughter for something like 6 hours and interrogated them both. Um, Ok... what a 14 year old Brit girl, who is the daughter of a hippie musician, might know about terrorism is beyond me. Are these agents really that friggin stupid?

I have a friend who is on the 'no fly' list. His name is Ahmed.
His mom was misdiagnosed in a Washington DC hospital 4 times in a row, before finding too late that she had terminal cancer. She died within a few months of getting the accurate diagnosis. So Ahmend's family decided to investigate the case, as any family would.
So now we had a dark skinned man named Ahmed flying into DC once a week for about a year.
Needless to say, security went ape-shit. They stuck him on the 'no fly' list for nothing other than the frequency of his flights into DC(because he has an Islamic name).
How screwed up is that?
Poor guy gets treated like crap at every airport he goes to, once they see his name on his ticket or passport. At first, he's just your average black American guy, but once they see that name "Ahmed" on his flight papers, people don't even want to be on the same plane. What the hell happened to this country?
He is every bit as American as me, and yet he is treated like a stranger in his own country.
handfleisch
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

So you go and play computer games devoted to strife, killing, and interstellar war? Why focus on one horrible thing that you can find in the news, while ignoring all the beautiful things in life?
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Ophois wrote:

Agreed. I just read a book about the House Un-American Activities Committee, and learned quite a few things. (Like that fringe-types called Roosevelt both a communist and a fascist, and those types were on the HUAC. So things maybe haven't changed much.) But more on topic, I came to really despise the now infamous creeps that ran or supported the committee -- Reagan, Nixon, Ayn Rand, to name a few. Doesn't say good things about the US that both Reagan and Nixon became president after participating in those witch hunts.
jmi256
handfleisch wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Ophois wrote:

Agreed. I just read a book about the House Un-American Activities Committee, and learned quite a few things. (Like that fringe-types called Roosevelt both a communist and a fascist, and those types were on the HUAC. So things maybe haven't changed much.) But more on topic, I came to really despise the now infamous creeps that ran or supported the committee -- Reagan, Nixon, Ayn Rand, to name a few. Doesn't say good things about the US that both Reagan and Nixon became president after participating in those witch hunts.

Before you go off on a rant about Republicans, let’s not forget who the committees actually comprised of. Seems the Democrats are quite in favor of witch hunts, censorship, the KKK, internment, etc. Here is some info I found the from wikipedia, but I cut and paste relevant info:

Quote:
Special Committee on Un-American Activities
Chairman: John William McCormack – Democrat
Chairman: Samuel Dickstein – Democrat
“From 1934 to 1937, the Special Committee on Un-American Activities Authorized to Investigate Nazi Propaganda and Certain Other Propaganda Activities, chaired by John W. McCormack and Samuel Dickstein, held public and private hearings in six cities, questioned hundreds of witnesses and collected testimony filling 4,300 pages. Its mandate was to get "information on how foreign subversive propaganda entered the U.S. and the organizations that were spreading it." The committee was widely known as the McCormack-Dickstein committee.
The committee investigated and supported allegations of a fascist plot to seize the White House, known as the Business Plot. It was replaced with a similar committee that focused on pursuing communists.”

House Committee on Un-American Activities (Also called the Dies Committee)
Chairman: Martin Dies, Jr. – Democrat
“The Dies Committee also carried out a brief investigation into the wartime internment of Japanese Americans living on the West Coast. The investigation primarily concerned security at the camps, youth gangs allegedly operating in the camps, food supply questions, and releases of internees. With the exception of Rep. Herman Eberharter, the members of the committee seemed to support internment.”

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Rankin

Quote:
Standing committee
Chairman: Edward J. Hart – Democrat
“Member: John Rankin - Democrat
Rankin was a leading member of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). He was active in probing the Communist Party, USA and the German-American Bund, but was criticized for failing to investigate violence and murder perpetrated by the Ku Klux Klan. After HUAC's chief counsel Ernest Adamson announced: "The committee has decided that it lacks sufficient data on which to base a probe," Rankin added: "After all, the KKK is an old American institution."

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Rankin
handfleisch
jmi256 wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Ophois wrote:

Before you go off on a rant about Republicans, let’s not forget who the committees actually comprised of. Seems the Democrats are quite in favor of witch hunts, censorship, the KKK, internment, etc. Here is some info I found the from wikipedia, but I cut and paste relevant info:
I had no intention to. All too often (like during the war hysteria created by the Bush administration) the Democratic party goes along with the rightward tide and betrays the principles of progress and civil rights. Of course, it didn't make those Dems on HUAC their major party leaders like the Repubs did, so some perspective must be maintained. McCarthy was a Republican, so is Limbaugh, and those witch hunts were definitely led by the conservatives/Repubs then and now (ACORN). Are you now coming out against witch hunts? Good for you if so.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
McCarthy was a Republican

Does everything have to be Republican vs. Democrat with you?
They're both horribly corrupt.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
McCarthy was a Republican, so is Limbaugh, and those witch hunts were definitely led by the conservatives/Repubs then and now (ACORN). Are you now coming out against witch hunts? Good for you if so.
Truman was President at the time and very much a Democrat. McCarthy happened on Truman's watch. Why did Truman not take care of him? Perhaps one also has to look at the hysteria about communism of the time in perspective, which did not only belong to the Republicans but also the Democrats. McCarthy got totally carried away with it, and Truman seemed to have been unable to restrain McCarthy:

Quote:
Anticommunism and Senator McCarthy
Opposition to leftist political radicalism and the fear of subversion have long and intertwined histories in American politics and culture. As tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union intensified in 1945, fear of -- and opposition to -- communism became a central part of American politics and culture. Politicians and the public seemed especially concerned that American communists or foreign agents might infiltrate the American government.

In November 1946, Truman created a temporary loyalty security program for the federal government to uncover security risks, i.e., Communists. Five months later, Truman issued an executive order making the program permanent. Other government bodies also tried to stymie the alleged subversive threat of communism. The House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC), originally formed in 1938 with a mandate to investigate Nazi propaganda, launched an investigation of Hollywood screenwriters and directors in 1947.

Two spectacular spy cases intensified concerns over communism. In 1948, Whitaker Chambers, a former Communist and current editor of Time magazine, accused former Roosevelt aide and State Department official Alger Hiss of being a Soviet spy; HUAC investigated these charges, complete with dramatic testimony from Hiss and Chambers. Less than a month after Hiss was convicted of perjury in January 1950, the British government arrested Klaus Fuchs, a German émigré scientist who had worked on the Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb. Fuchs was charged with and then convicted of passing along A-bomb secrets to the Soviets with the help of American citizens David Greenglass and Julius and Ethel Rosenberg; he served nine years of a fourteen-year sentence in the British penal system. The U.S. government executed the Rosenbergs in 1953. The Hiss and Fuchs revelations were all the more shocking because the Soviets had successfully tested an atomic bomb in August 1949 -- years before most experts believed they would have the ability to do so.

Even though the Truman administration supported several programs designed to root out communists and "subversives" from the American government, ardent anti-communists in both the Republican and Democratic parties hammered away at the threat of communist subversion and accused the administration of failing to protect the United States. Easily the most fabulous exploitation of the issue came from Senator Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin, who in the days after the Fuchs arrest charged that the State Department was riddled with communist agents. McCarthy's fantastic allegations, the specifics of which he changed in subsequent appearances, electrified American politics by calling into question the loyalties of officials who conducted the nation's relations with the Soviets. McCarthy's charges also insinuated that Truman's loyalty program had failed miserably. McCarthy spent the rest of the Truman administration, as well as the first years of the Eisenhower administration, on a quest to expose communists in the State Department and the U.S. Army.

Source: http://millercenter.org/academic/americanpresident/truman/essays/biography/print
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
McCarthy was a Republican

Does everything have to be Republican vs. Democrat with you?
They're both horribly corrupt.

You guys are funny. You know full well it was your strange bedfellow JMI that brought up the Dem vs Repub thing. I even answered that with an objective denunciation of the Dems going along with right wing corruption (from McCarthyism to ACORN). So all your point is moot and belong to us.

How about them evil African witches, folks?
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
You guys are funny. You know full well it was your strange bedfellow JMI that brought up the Dem vs Repub thing. I even answered that with an objective denunciation of the Dems going along with right wing corruption (from McCarthyism to ACORN). So all your point is moot and belong to us.

How about them evil African witches, folks?
You made some comments about McCarthy as well blaming him on the Republicans, and I see you ducking that very neatly. That was one issue that you blamed on the Republicans. The ACORN one I am in full agreement with JMI, I believe it has been thoroughly discussed in the ACORN Funding thread. Just a gentle reminder about the facts that really matter:
Quote:
Quote:
1. ACORN's partnership in the 2010 United States Census was terminated.
2. The United States House and Senate voted to exclude ACORN from federal funding.
3. The New York Attorney General announced an investigation to ensure that state grants given to ACORN were properly spent.
4. The New York City Council suspended all ACORN grants while Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes conducted an investigation.
5. On September 23, the Internal Revenue Service removed ACORN from its volunteer tax-assistance program.
6. On September 28, Bank of America suspended financing ACORN Housing.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_Now

To me it is obvious the Democrats have decided to distance themselves from ACORN for good political reasons.

The Democrats have quite obviously dumped ACORN.
missdixy
My cultural psychology professor actually really talks about this kind of practice a lot. It's pretty sad, and honestly it isn't a problem with just Christianity but a lot of religions in Africa. My professor even participated in a witch tribunal a long time ago during his fieldwork where they were trying to determine whether or not a man was guilty if witchcraft and how he should be punished.

But don't let things like this kill your faith in the human race. Sure, what these people do is absolutely horrid to us and we (at least, I) could never, ever possibly understand or condone it, but at least there are people who care enough to write about these things and who can stand back and look at the situation and say "yes, that IS horrible" and who try to get the word out there!

That at least gives me some hope in humanity.
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
That at least gives me some hope in humanity.
Up close and personal it is perfectly horrible. The worst part is the brutal suffering of the innocent victims, the women and children, especially children, who are bound to turn into adults who perpetuate this kind of absolute darkness and horror. I totally admire those people from other countries, such as the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia ..... who are brave enough to come to their assistance. Some of these have gone through great suffering too. I think it is miraculous that when they do survive and return to their home countries that they can still have hope in humanity and write about this to others.
bukaida
In India, at some tribal regions, this is a very common scenario every year. But here usually, the old lonely women are the prey. They are beaten heavily by mass, made naked and roam the entire village in daylight and in some worst case scenario, set out to fire and burn alive. Being a member of an NGO working for tribal education, I have seen and talked with such victims and the tribal people also. Every village has a Guru or prist whose job is to identify such witches. This happens whenever someone in the village falls ill and the prist fails to cure with his local treatments and spells. Usually these people do not go to the local health centre. We have rescued 3 such witches from the mob, who were actually epileptic patients. We are trying to educate them from these blind superstitions and getting good responses from the young generations, who dares to question the prists. While young tribal people are being aware of this , we hope that with proper education, such thing will be eliminated in near future. Education is the only light to tear off this darkness. I will not stop till then.
SunD3R
And i thought this kind of thing only happened in medieval Europe.
paul_indo
Sometimes I think that religion is the reason for so much trouble and crazy things in this world, but actually many non religious people do crazy things to so I am not so sure if it is religion or just human nature.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Sometimes I think that religion is the reason for so much trouble and crazy things in this world, but actually many non religious people do crazy things to so I am not so sure if it is religion or just human nature.
Totally agreed. People are the problem, not their religions, some use religion for their conflicts, or should I rather say mis-use their religion as there are many Islamic people who are completely against terrorism. As far as I can remember there were witches burnt at the stakes during the dark ages in the name of religion as well.
Flakky
Just remember that there is always something sick going around in this world. So why not play Halo 3 together and indeed, leave this world for the world of Halo or Warcraft or whatever. You can spill acid over somebody in some games but who cares, it is fake.