FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doing Partition

nivinjoy
Hi all..

As i had mentioned in a previous post i have brought a brand new Dell Studio 15 laptop with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard disk..!!

Now the problem is that Dell gave the system with 2 standard partitions C & D with 450 GB in C drive and 15 GB as Recovery drive D..!! I have partitioned C drive and created one more drive E: with 100 GB..!! And now 350 GB is left in C: drive..!!

What i want to do is that i want to take 250 GB from C: drive leaving 100 GB in C: and make it into 2 drives..!!

How can i do this...?? Please help me out..!!
blueray
On pc, due to the limit in the partition table's size of a hard drive.
The maximum Primary Partition that can be created is four.

To create more that four. Extended Partition type was introduced.
They basically allowed create unlimited partitions on it.

What you should do is to make one of partition an type of extended partition.

Say, you have 500GB hard drive and need to divided it into 5 different volumes, you have to,

1.) First, create three primary partitions each with the size you need. Such as 100GB for each.
2.) Make the remain free hard drive space an extended partition.
a.) Within the extended partition created above. Make any number of partitions you like.

When creating partitions within the disk management console.
Choose the extended partition type for the step 2 above.

Finished.
the zephyrus
A tool such as GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ would make the process a lot easier.
ProfessorY91
I recommend an alternate software, although Gparted will most likely be sufficient for your needs. Acronis Disk Director is compatible with Windows Vista. I don't recommend partitioning your drives at all however, but I'm not sure as to whether there is a solution to the maximum allowable drive size issue on PCs.
Fire Boar
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I recommend an alternate software, although Gparted will most likely be sufficient for your needs. Acronis Disk Director is compatible with Windows Vista. I don't recommend partitioning your drives at all however, but I'm not sure as to whether there is a solution to the maximum allowable drive size issue on PCs.

The trouble with Acronis is it's commercial software: you can get a free trial but the package is $50. And what do you get over what's provided by GPartEd? From what I can see, it's a boot loader (unnecessary, the Windows one is sufficient for Windows-only setups and Grub which comes packaged in most Linux distributions is good for Linux-only and Linux/Windows hybrids) and the ability to merge partitions while keeping data (which sounds cool, but shouldn't be necessary).

Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) is compatible with all current operating systems (NTFS has been Microsoft's standard for a while now) and is completely free forever. It does the job very well too and doesn't require any modification of your existing system (installing, etc).

So if you want to partition your hard disk, don't let other people dissuade you: doing an op like this is often the first step to knowing your computer and taking control.
ProfessorY91
Fire Boar wrote:
So if you want to partition your hard disk, don't let other people dissuade you: doing an op like this is often the first step to knowing your computer and taking control.

Agreed.

I could have sworn there was a time when Acronis was free. I'm serious! ... What garbage. I stand corrected, don't pay for software... ever!