FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Collecting or hoarding?

furtasacra
They do find the most embarrassing foibles and mental defects to put on TV these days.

http://gawker.com/5385836/the-war-on-hoarding

Some people collect stuff until it becomes a health / safety hazard, and now A&E has a show about it? I'll take a pass on that one.

My mother was a hoarder. The old term for it is "pack rat" but either way, my mom suffered from it. I had a hell of a time clearing out the house after she died - it was full of newspapers, plastic containers like butter tubs, and old clothes and shoes she got from god only knows where, and all manner of other odd items just because "they might come in handy someday".

I partly understand the mentality, because she was raised during the Great Depression, and back then you never threw away ANYTHING that could possibly be used for something else later, because you never knew if you would have money to buy new things when you needed them... but you'd think that when the piles and boxes stacked up in my old bedroom got taller than her she would have maybe thought to get rid of some stuff.

Anybody else have this problem, or have to deal with a family member who has it?
ocalhoun
Well, I tend to collect things, but they do get used... Like an old strainer from a dish-washing machine that is now part of the floorboard of my older truck. (Providing a floor drain that stuff won't fall through.)
ronbonzo
I have an aunt who is a pack rat. About fifteen years ago a neighbor of hers said they were treating their house for termites and my aunt might want to get her house treated because they will look for a new host nearby when kicked out. My aunt didn't take the warning seriously and some years later they found whole nests had burrowed into the tall stacks of magazines she had stacked around the house. The house is now barely structurally sound and will never fetch anything on the market.
standready
I know a few people that overdue their collecting to the point of hoarding. They need help!
furtasacra
Yikes! Ron, that story makes me deeply grateful that my house is concrete block and stucco! My mom had stacks and stacks of old magazines.

Some of them were pretty cool, actually - old fashion magazines from the 60s and 70s, and I ended up keeping the ones that had knitting and crochet patterns in them, because being a pack rat is in my blood, I guess. I really didn't want to chuck them, so I kept the ones I could justify as "useful".

But none of them were bug-infested, they were packed in boxes, and the boxes were wrapped in trash bags.
ronbonzo
furtasacra wrote:
But none of them were bug-infested, they were packed in boxes, and the boxes were wrapped in trash bags.

Yep, it got so bad that over the years the stacks took over every room in the house. To go from one room to the next there was only one tiny path through that room. She's now about to go into a retirement home where this will not tolerated.
bigt
Self confessed pack rat. I feel like I'm going to use this stuff one day and I'd hate to throw whatever it is away and need it the next week. I do go through "my junk" from time to time and either sort it (just move it around, haha) or throw it away.

If you have someone with this problem it's best to gauge their personality and approach from the angle that will best persuade them. With me, I hate nagging. I like the, "Let me help you sort through all this stuff" approach.

furtasacra wrote:
They do find the most embarrassing foibles and mental defects to put on TV these days.

http://gawker.com/5385836/the-war-on-hoarding

Some people collect stuff until it becomes a health / safety hazard, and now A&E has a show about it? I'll take a pass on that one.

My mother was a hoarder. The old term for it is "pack rat" but either way, my mom suffered from it. I had a hell of a time clearing out the house after she died - it was full of newspapers, plastic containers like butter tubs, and old clothes and shoes she got from god only knows where, and all manner of other odd items just because "they might come in handy someday".

I partly understand the mentality, because she was raised during the Great Depression, and back then you never threw away ANYTHING that could possibly be used for something else later, because you never knew if you would have money to buy new things when you needed them... but you'd think that when the piles and boxes stacked up in my old bedroom got taller than her she would have maybe thought to get rid of some stuff.

Anybody else have this problem, or have to deal with a family member who has it?
Crazy_Canuck
I've seen the shows that try to help people organize or clean up their homes. Some of the situations people are living in are truly horrific. They invariably find people who are in extreme states of distress and then make a spectacle of it on national TV. But what they are really finding are people who have diagnosable mental illness, most often obsessive-compulsive disorders.

These people need more than to appear on a TV show with a celebrity host who will help them pack their things in boxes or throw them away. They need medication and counselling. I deplore the kinds of shows that exploit someone else's misery, although I must say I have seen some people treated respectfully and actually supported as a result of the intervention.

When any behaviour becomes something that causes harm or is a danger to oneself or others or that interferes with the activities of daily living, it is a sign of a mental disorder that can be treated. If you have relatives or friends experiencing this, they likely need more help than you can give them. Nagging them to clean up their place is not going to work. Helping them to gain the courage to reach out for help from a qualified professional might.
ronbonzo
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I've seen the shows that try to help people organize or clean up their homes. Some of the situations people are living in are truly horrific. They invariably find people who are in extreme states of distress and then make a spectacle of it on national TV. But what they are really finding are people who have diagnosable mental illness, most often obsessive-compulsive disorders.

These people need more than to appear on a TV show with a celebrity host who will help them pack their things in boxes or throw them away. They need medication and counselling. I deplore the kinds of shows that exploit someone else's misery, although I must say I have seen some people treated respectfully and actually supported as a result of the intervention.

When any behaviour becomes something that causes harm or is a danger to oneself or others or that interferes with the activities of daily living, it is a sign of a mental disorder that can be treated. If you have relatives or friends experiencing this, they likely need more help than you can give them. Nagging them to clean up their place is not going to work. Helping them to gain the courage to reach out for help from a qualified professional might.

I agree.