FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I choose it as career?

julianharry
I am fond of playing online games and even play for so many hours continuously. Doing this I got interest in game designing. I have a little bit basic knowledge of this field and being very creative, planning to choose it as career. Is designing a very hard task to do? What about future prospects in this field? Kindly suggest?
Bikerman
There are good prospects in the gaming industry as far as I know. Game design is potentially very lucrative as a career choice.
You do need a range of skills. There is a useful article on this HERE.
ocalhoun
Seems like it would be a crowded career field... Programming and/or graphic design expertise should help get a job in it though.
julianharry
Bikerman wrote:
There are good prospects in the gaming industry as far as I know. Game design is potentially very lucrative as a career choice.

I read the article referred here. I am bit confused whether pursuing degree would lead to a good job in industry or not. What about the situation for fresh degree holders in the industry? What else I should do to have a bright career ahead.
Bikerman
julianharry wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

I read the article referred here. I am bit confused whether pursuing degree would lead to a good job in industry or not. What about the situation for fresh degree holders in the industry? What else I should do to have a bright career ahead.
I can't give you 'inside advice' because I'm not an insider - I'm basically a teacher. What I would do is talk to a few game designers and companies. You need to do a bit of research - what companies are there in your area? A bit of detective work using the web, yellow pages, and any other contacts is in order. If it is a fairly large company then you will need to talk to the HR person. If smaller then you need to 'worm your way in'.
When I fancied a career break, and I wanted to learn how to be a recording engineering, I talked to friends in the business and got in touch with a studio owner in London. I offered to be an unpaid intern - brewing tea, fetching and carrying, general dogsbody. In return I got time on the mixing desks, sat in on many sessions, and got quite a lot of one to one tutorial time from the engineers. Great way to learn if you can afford to do it that way....
julianharry
To be an expert at game design, do I need to have a professional degree in hand or can practice it through online tutorials only?
ocalhoun
julianharry wrote:
To be an expert at game design, do I need to have a professional degree in hand or can practice it through online tutorials only?

I suppose you could learn to be an expert on your own... but you'll have to prove that you're an expert to the company you want to get hired on to.

So, you'll either need examples of expert-level work you've done to show to them, or you'll need a degree from a respected school certifying that you are an expert. If you just show up, and tell them you've done online tutorials and that you're an expert now, they'll ask for proof. If you don't have any to give them, they'll politely accept your resume, and then never call you back. (Because somebody else also applied for the job, and he has worked for a different game design company for 10 years, has a degree, and has a portfolio of several successful games he helped design.) It isn't about being 'good enough'. What you need to do is be better than the other people who apply for the job, because even if you are fully qualified, you can loose the job to somebody who is more qualified.

Bikerman gave good advice. You may want to start as an intern or entry-level employee, and work your way up and into the business. Many companies value experience more than education.
julianharry
I have also heard a bit about online degree programs offered these days. Is it not good to start working besides pursuing online degree side by side? Need your valuable suggestion on this….
Bluedoll
I don’t know for sure all the in’s and out’s of game designing. It is I suspect a very wide field and a degree obtained conventionally or online (I understand online diploma’s are becoming more marketable than they used to be but at the same time more expensive – check out the better online schools I would say or simply inquire yourself by calling a couple of employers you might consider working for, it’s a three minute phone call).

I am not really sure what jobs are available in that area as quoted in the article Bikerman was so good to have given you “myself am not a programmer, and I am not a graphic designer. I am a producer and designer of games, but I couldn't program a game if my life depended on it—and I couldn't animate one either. "Game Design" does not mean "programming," and it does not mean "graphic design."

From my perspective graphic design and programming are the active components for landing productive work but I can see now there is a lot more to it than those two facets. Educational!
Smile

As far as gaining practical know how is concerned I tend to think working while learning is an excellent choice as long as you can satisfy your time management requirements, I would say go for it. One possibility is to accept free lance projects.

Regardless on how you manage your time you are going to need a portfolio to show anyone what you can and like to do. You can start something by creating a web site with a project on it that you have created yourself.

hope this is a little help and not me rambling on about things i don't understand ?
Embarassed
ocalhoun
julianharry wrote:
I have also heard a bit about online degree programs offered these days. Is it not good to start working besides pursuing online degree side by side? Need your valuable suggestion on this….

If you're going to get an online degree, get one from a reputable college or university. Many real schools offer online programs.
If you feel that you must get a degree from an online-only school, make sure it is accredited. Accredited means two things to you: 1) The degree you get actually means something, and is not a worthless piece of paper. 2) Classes you take in that online degree course would get you college credits, which could be transferred to any other school, including real ones.

Whatever you do, don't fall for those non-accredited scam-online-schools. They'll waste your time and money, and give you a diploma that is just a worthless piece of paper! Then, when you show your 'degree' to your prospective employer, they'll probably laugh, and then feel sorry for you.
Getting a real degree is difficult, time-consuming, and expensive (unless you get a scholarship).
If the online program you're looking at claims to be easy, quick, or cheap, it's probably too good to be true.
julianharry
Thanks for providing such a beneficial link which helped me a lot to clarify almost all my doubts regarding online degree and provided me the platform to earn degree.
guissmo
Since we're in the topic. I like to design games but I don't usually play video games. And I usually suck at the new video games that come out (mainly because I don't want to spend hours playing them, other things to do).

Do you think someone who doesn't play games much could design games as good, given the right education and all?
ocalhoun
guissmo wrote:
Do you think someone who doesn't play games much could design games as good, given the right education and all?

You could easily be a great help in building the technical aspects of a game, but leave to basic design and concepts to the avid gamers, who will be more 'in touch' with what makes a good game good.
deanhills
julianharry wrote:
My advice is from the outside in. Why not spend some time and design a few games. Then experiment with those on gamers and see what their reaction is. Alternatively you can take existing games and try to improvise on them and do quite a number of them to find out if this is really what you want to do with the rest of your life. It is one thing to tinker with a hobby, and another to make a career out of it. The safest for a degree in IT would be a general one of a high standard as suggested by Ocalhoun. This would also give you a larger number of options to study before you specialize in any one direction of IT.

guissmo wrote:
Since we're in the topic. I like to design games but I don't usually play video games. And I usually suck at the new video games that come out (mainly because I don't want to spend hours playing them, other things to do).

With gaming I see two aspects to it, creating a concept, and then doing the nitty gritty programming. I think however to be good with creating games, whether you are a programmer or not and even given the right education, you need to be something of a game geek yourself. It has to be in your blood.
qiming
I agree with DeanHills. It'll be a mess if you get yourself into a career that you're really not into. Why not take the time and experiment before you choose it for sure?
sfweb
Gaming is a very good field and have a lot of scope you can earn high salaries and also enjoy. The other important thing is that choose your profession in which you have interest so will definitely succeed.

julianharry wrote:
I am fond of playing online games and even play for so many hours continuously. Doing this I got interest in game designing. I have a little bit basic knowledge of this field and being very creative, planning to choose it as career. Is designing a very hard task to do? What about future prospects in this field? Kindly suggest?
bukaida
You can start with mobile gaming using J2ME. This is a new area which is developing rapidly.Also it doesnot reqire intence knowledge in graphics.The J2ME game programming is not very difficult either. You can use sun java toolkit for that.
D'Artagnan
first of all you should take a careful look at the oportunities you have around you, do you want to move out of town, is the industry good where you live? also you should study the jobs in the area and choose what fits you best.

here in brazil the oportunities in game designing are still few and not very well distributed, also i wanted to make videogames once, but i ended up finding i enjoy web developing much more then game developing. i still enjoy playing though...

its a wide field, you can choose to be an 3d artist, a writer, a game designer, a developer and many many other careers, you just have research and even if its not the right path you will be able to use your knowledge in other areas,.
pll
When you'll search opportunities you can look in & around Quebec City, Montreal, and Vancouver if you consider moving to Canada.

There were great opportunities few years ago!! I don't know if there is still some, I think that now you need to be more competitive to get a job in this domain, but I heard that the companies will start hiring tons of people soon at least in Quebec City.

You can also visit these websites which will help you to get more info :
http://www.cgsociety.org/
It's a really crowded place so take care before you make your choice !
inuyasha
Humm... To develope games is not that simple. You want to design user interface? Or to write codes? That's quite different.
nishakaur
There is no doubt that kids love playing video games.Video games have become one of the trendiest uses of free time .Research says that video game design and development is a successful learning tool in the classroom. Students, who might not be interested in learning computer programming, will be interested in video game design and development.
codegeek
One thing you have to understand is that playing and programming games are very different things. So, you might want to start programming a few small games just to get a feel of the work, and then you can decide more accurately whether you are suited for the job or not. I recommend learning C++, or any object-oriented programming language for that matter, and experimenting with various libraries.
picasaz
Game designing is very interesting career. If you think that you can do better in gaming career then you should go for it. But being a gamer and designer of games are two different terms. There is another field in gaming called the game tester you can also try there.
12phabie
julianharry wrote:

gaming is where the money is and honestly if you are working on something that you are already doing every day and loving it well why not go for it. and again gamers make mad money as well as gaming designers. If you can study coding and some other stuff , go for it. My husband went for video and music software and I even asked him why he did not go all the way with the technical aspect of it. he said coding is where its at and was way too hard for him and he is an avid gamer, I mean call of duty every day. so yes no doubt go for it.