FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with transport in 2015

Sachi
The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By the year 2015 there may be as many as 35 million vehicles on British roads. Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged and international lows introduced to control ownership and use.

To what extent do you agree or disagree? And why?

It's my last essay's topic, but I think it's quite interesting.
ocalhoun
Alternative transport encouraged, yes.
International laws controlling ownership and use, no.

If the roadways get too clogged up, people will seek out alternative transportation on their own, in order to avoid the traffic jams. All the government needs to do is encourage private companies to provide that alternative transportation.
coolclay
Obviously when roads become completely gridlocked no one will want a vehicle any longer. Especially if its quicker/cheaper to take alternative travel. I just found out the you can get to from where I live to the airport for much cheaper. I used to take a shuttle service which cost $45 one way. Now I found the metro system which costs $3 round trip. And honestly if you take traffic into account it's probably not too much slower either.

In America this is definitely a problem especially in the cities. Americans just can't get over driving there own cars. Even if it's just down the road or to work, or whatever. The worst part is 9out of 10 of the people are driving by themselves. It's crazy people buy these huge freakin vehicles and most of the time they only drive themselves!
deanhills
The only way to do it is to make public transportation so easily available as well as a lower cost. Also to make the owning and running of a car that expensive that one would opt for public transportation. Think it would be great if they improve already existing mono-rail systems such as City C-trains. As well as expand on rail services.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Think it would be great if they improve already existing mono-rail systems such as City C-trains. As well as expand on rail services.

Rails are fine, but the most practical, and easiest to implement, public transportation would be buses.
Those do have the problem of still being affected by traffic jams, but they are much cheaper to build and operate, and the schedules and routes are more flexible, and they can pick up and drop off people closer to their destinations.
Ideally, you'd probably have a hybrid system, with buses doing all local transport, while various types of trains do the long-hauls, like transporting commuters to and from the suburbs or other cities. Of course, every train station would also be a bus station.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Think it would be great if they improve already existing mono-rail systems such as City C-trains. As well as expand on rail services.

Rails are fine, but the most practical, and easiest to implement, public transportation would be buses.
Those do have the problem of still being affected by traffic jams, but they are much cheaper to build and operate, and the schedules and routes are more flexible, and they can pick up and drop off people closer to their destinations.
Ideally, you'd probably have a hybrid system, with buses doing all local transport, while various types of trains do the long-hauls, like transporting commuters to and from the suburbs or other cities. Of course, every train station would also be a bus station.
Right! Canada is really good with those, particularly in the metropolitan areas such as Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto etc. I also have some experience with Seattle, and that was really a good hybrid system as well. Seattle's high-ways are like a zoo during peak traffic hours, and that is quite likely why their public transit system is so well organized.
supernova1987a
On the tv it said we will have flying cars by 2011. But 2011 is almost here and I cant believe it to be true. But 2015 could be the year we will have flying cars. The day we will have it will be like the the year we first had cars, or the year we first had airplanes.

Public transportation should be encouraged i think. If not at least non-polluting vehicles are needed. Population increase is certainly not going to let us enjoy the future we have been dreaming of.
deanhills
supernova1987a wrote:
On the tv it said we will have flying cars by 2011. But 2011 is almost here and I cant believe it to be true. But 2015 could be the year we will have flying cars. The day we will have it will be like the the year we first had cars, or the year we first had airplanes.

Public transportation should be encouraged i think. If not at least non-polluting vehicles are needed. Population increase is certainly not going to let us enjoy the future we have been dreaming of.
Would be interesting if we could have flying cars. That has always been a dream of mine, especially when I am stuck in a traffic jam, but realistically, I can't see that happening.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
supernova1987a wrote:

Would be interesting if we could have flying cars. That has always been a dream of mine, especially when I am stuck in a traffic jam, but realistically, I can't see that happening.

And if it did happen, you'd still eventually get traffic jams, only they'd be much more dangerous.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
supernova1987a wrote:

And if it did happen, you'd still eventually get traffic jams, only they'd be much more dangerous.
Right, except in my dream, I'm the only one that can do the flying. James Bond style .... with one of "M"'s special add-on devices Smile
Magicman
I believe that a good public transport system is a very important part of any city. It is unfortunate that the United States built such an extensive highway system instead of investing that money and land into a more extensive public transit system. It is so much easier to use public transport instead of sitting in traffic, however, it is also frustrating if that public transport isn't on time.