FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any fellow geocachers on FRIHOST?

coolclay
I was just curious since I know many frihosters are interested in technology, are there any fellow geocachers out there. I have been geocaching for about 7 years now. I have never had the time or resources to geocache hardcore but it's fun every now and then when I get a chance. There are some crazy people out there that I term insane geocachers that spend every second of there free time geocaching. I think it's awesome but still a little crazy! I mostly use geocaching to take me to really cool places, and meet fun people. I have hidden a few of my own geocaches over the years as well and that's tons of fun too!
Ghost Rider103
I do every once in a while.

I only recently started geocaching a few months ago. It is a fun thing to do, and a great activity to do when you have a lot of free time.

I wouldn't call myself an insane geocacher though. I've only been to about four. Their still fun, but I'm still fairly new to it.
Ghost900
I have never technically done geo-caching as I don't have a GPS but seems like a fun thing to do.

Once last year I went to a state park that had a few hidden things in the state park and they loaned out GPS devices and so I did it then. It was quite fun actually. Very Happy
guissmo
What's geocaching? Seems interesting.
Ankhanu
I pretty much go hiking for my job, but I'm not really a geocacher. I work as a conservation technician in a national park, and the park has several geocaches in it, but I haven't gone looking for them. I was living with one of the guys who would maintain the caches though (they were occasionally stolen or would otherwise go missing).

A few of my friends are fairly avid geocachers, but my work schedule never let me go out with them, as my old job had me working every weekend, and that's when they'd go. Seems like a really good activity, and I always enjoy the pictures that they post after their little adventures.
coolclay
Geocaching is essentially a high tech game of treasure hunting. Other members will hide a container of some sort, with a logbook and several other fun items for trade. They then record the coordinates using a GPSr, and upload them to the Geocaching website where other folks can look it up, and attempt to find it.

Once you find it you log your visit and if you want bring an item to trade for something else that is in the container.

It's also not as easy as it sounds because GPSr's rarely get better then 15 feet of accuracy, and there is a lot of hiding places within 15 ft of most places.

There are also lots of adaptations to the original idea of geocaching including virtual caches, mini-caches and many others.

It's pretty cool, you'll discover cool new places and learn things and have a lot of fun. I suggest trying it out to everyone.
Like I said I also am extremely busy and rarely have time to geocache but I still enjoy it when I can.
missdixy
So I just looked this up on Wikipedia and wow, I had no idea this even existed!!!

coolclay wrote:

It's also not as easy as it sounds because GPSr's rarely get better then 15 feet of accuracy, and there is a lot of hiding places within 15 ft of most places.

Now that part sounds hard haha. It's probably for this very reason that I wouldn't be very good at this if I tried.
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:
So I just looked this up on Wikipedia and wow, I had no idea this even existed!!!

coolclay wrote:

Now that part sounds hard haha. It's probably for this very reason that I wouldn't be very good at this if I tried.

Well, if it is in a wooded area, it's usually very easy for somebody who's familiar with the forest to see signs of human interference, which is where the cache will be. (As long as it hasn't been left undisturbed for years, that is.)

Personally, I've thought of making a few caches, since I often go off-trail hiking to the most inaccessible areas around. It would be cool to have started the most difficult-to-get caches in the area.
tchaunt
Dang...geocaching (I'm not sure what the proper term would be) sounds like it would be impossibly fun. Heck, it would be a blast. If only there were a lot more people in my area doing it. ><
ocalhoun
tchaunt wrote:
Dang...geocaching (I'm not sure what the proper term would be) sounds like it would be impossibly fun. Heck, it would be a blast. If only there were a lot more people in my area doing it. ><

Go to the original geocaching website and search for caches in your area. I was astounded by how many there were near me.
airh3ad
This is good and sounds interesting , how can we start geocaching here? lets make a group any one .?
coolclay
You are right on Ocalhoun. In forested areas sometimes it is not that hard to find the geocache, just look for a rock propped up somewhere or some sticks unnaturally bundled. What really gets tricky though are microcaches that can be as small as a film canister. Or a geocache hidden in the middle of the city, and lots of people walking around looking at you funny.

It really is an awesome sport, that not only teaches you things and takes you to new places but it can also be good exercise and tons of fun.

Airh3ad-
All you have to do is go to geocaching.com and sign up for a free account then search geocaches in your area. There is probably a pretty good chance there are hundreds within a 10 mile radius of wherever you are.

Then get a cheap GPSr or use a GPSr enabled cell phone, put in the coordinates and you are off on new adventures!
Fatality
I have never attempted to geocache, but I like the idea. I definitely need to try it sometime. I used to be a member of the Civil Air Patrol, and auxiliary of the Air Force, and we did a lot of search and rescue missions. I think searching for geocaches would be much more fun. Smile
Crazy_Canuck
This sounds a little bit like a high-tech version of what we used to call "orienteering" in high school (30 years ago now).

It was a lot of fun -- we used to do it in teams, with one person responsible for driving. Sometimes it was a hiking exercise, too, but most often we had cars as I recall.

The map and directions were all manual then, of course. Sadly, it was kind of an excuse for drinking and driving on the back roads.

Sad
Ankhanu
Orienterring is still an active activity. I know a few people that still do it Smile

But, yeah, this is quite similar, just using a GPS instead of map and compass skills.