FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows notepad question

Da Rossa
Hi
When I type in another text-editing software like Notepad++ or Textpad, or even a word processing program like Microsoft Word or this input field in this phpbb forum, when I type ctrl+backspace, it will erase the whole word left to the cursor. But, when doing this at Notepad, instead of erasing the word it will add a strange, nonrecognized character represented by a square.

Can I set something in Windows XP to have Ctrl+Backspace erase the word like in other apps?

Thanks!
coreymanshack
Da Rossa wrote:
Hi
When I type in another text-editing software like Notepad++ or Textpad, or even a word processing program like Microsoft Word or this input field in this phpbb forum, when I type ctrl+backspace, it will erase the whole word left to the cursor. But, when doing this at Notepad, instead of erasing the word it will add a strange, nonrecognized character represented by a square.

Can I set something in Windows XP to have Ctrl+Backspace erase the word like in other apps?

Thanks!

Notepad is a basic editor that doesn't come with the functionality to use ctrl-backspace as a hotkey to erase a word, it is trying to insert the character the key combination creates.
Da Rossa
So there is absolutely no way to do it? Sad
coreymanshack
Da Rossa wrote:
So there is absolutely no way to do it? Sad

Pretty sure there is no way unless you decompile notepad, and program the functionality in.
Da Rossa
So that's "no" Sad
Thanks anyway for your quick responses Corey. Have a nice day!
Diablosblizz
I'm sure you can find a direct Notepad replacement (Notepad++ has extra features) that may have this. Try a quick Google search for "Notepad replacement."
Da Rossa
Yeáh, I already have both Notepad++ and Textpad 5. They have this functionality. The problem is that they are not integrated to the system so, when I launch them by hotkey, they won't instantly open. And that's a big deal Razz
Diablosblizz
I believe if you rename Notepad++ to notepad.exe and throw it into Windows (backup your old notepad) it will be used by the system.
Da Rossa
Yes, but doing this won't work really because Notepad++ itself is heavier for its features, so it won't instantly open, unfortunately Sad
All I wanted is to have notepad do it Sad
Diablosblizz
I actually looked into this, ALT+Backspace DOES delete the last FEW words, unfortunately. It does do something, tell me if this is what you were looking for.

EDIT: Have you given Notepad2 a try, it loads super quick for me and has the CTRL + Backspace functionality.