FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost 1-million Postings New Look?

deanhills
I'm getting excited, as ever since Bondings made a call for 1-million postings (http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-94164.html), I've been watching the Frihost number of postings. We are getting very close to 900,000 postings. Maybe we will be at 1-million by 2010?

Would there be any merit for creating a Frihost 1-million Postings Logo that can be added to the Banner when we click over to 1-million, sort of as a celebration logo?

Also, how about making a competition for it?
imagefree
nice idea.

happy to see frihost growing
Bondings
It will take quite a while to reach a million posts, I guess somewhere at the end of 2010 we should reach it, so there is enough time left to think about what to do. It might indeed be a good idea to do something special for Frihost when we reach it, and not just a banner.
deanhills
Great! That means we have about 15 months, perhaps less than that. It took almost 12 months for the Frihost ranks from initiation to implementation stage. Maybe it could be an idea to at least start to generate ideas among Frihosters, and perhaps appoint a Frihost One Million Campaign Manager of sorts. Perhaps one of the moderators who have been with us from the beginning of time, like rvec, Max, Mathias, etc., or bring back a really golden character of the distant past, someone who would get people excited. Ocalhoun is also a brilliant organizer. We could have a dedicated blog/forum for it, up on the features list, etc. The manager can then work on a timeframe and a Task List of sorts.

There are many benefits for starting now. Time really flies very quickly and the reasons for the delay in getting the ranks implemented, may be multiplied as we get closer to million postings, there may be a greater need for working on Frihost databases and to make it safe from predators. So in terms of the hands available, 15 months are not that generous a time frame. From a public relations point of view for Frihost a great benefit would be that search engines would already pick up on 1-million postings, which basically we are almost at in a rounded figure. And we have another opportunity to pick up on the postings numbers, generate some energy, and drum a Frihost beat.
Diablosblizz
Bondings wrote:
It will take quite a while to reach a million posts, I guess somewhere at the end of 2010 we should reach it, so there is enough time left to think about what to do. It might indeed be a good idea to do something special for Frihost when we reach it, and not just a banner.

Hmm, such as increased bandwidth or space seems like a good idea if the servers can handle that. The space should be easy, although the bandwidth may throw it off. Just an idea, I mean 1 million is a big number!
rvec
Quote:
Perhaps one of the moderators who have been with us from the beginning of time, like rvec, Max, Mathias, etc.

I haven't even been mod half the time frihost existed (I've been a mod for 2 years and frihost is 4.5 years old) Razz.

This would be a nice day for a new theme Smile
deanhills
rvec wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps one of the moderators who have been with us from the beginning of time, like rvec, Max, Mathias, etc.

I haven't even been mod half the time frihost existed (I've been a mod for 2 years and frihost is 4.5 years old) Razz.
I was looking at the date when you joined up, also most people know you, you've been very consistent in your presence .... Smile

What do you mean with a new theme?
rvec
a new style, layout, look for frihost...
Ghost Rider103
I'd be willing to help out with the new design/theme as well.

I sure hope we can get a new look. I've been waiting for a new look for Frihost pretty much ever since I joined.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
a new style, layout, look for frihost...
Awesome! I wonder whether we could have a contest for it. Can we start a competition from scratch? Like this one which Bondings launched in 2005?
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-1212.html

Maybe Bondings can give specifications for it, and instead of having everyone vote on it, there could be a panel of judges (perhaps a few moderators and some famous Frihost designers) on it.

I think we need to stay away from just one designer, as looking at the Redesign Project thread (link below), it is a good example of why a competition would be much better. There needs to be a few designs to choose from, otherwise there may be no choice in the end. I liked Truespeed's comment:
truespeed wrote:
If you have one designer then your going to get one type of design,even if he/she creates a few alternatives the fact they are coming from the same source means they will be similar,having a contest means you will get more variation,and more choice,so i think a contest for the initial design would be best,maybe once you have chosen the winning design,then you could open it up for comments on how to improve it further.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-82674-2.html
Diablosblizz
A new frontpage theme and forum theme would be nice, but this one seems to be working right now!
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:
A new frontpage theme and forum theme would be nice, but this one seems to be working right now!

A new homepage has supposedly been in the works for a long time... That would make a nice 1-million mark celebratory gesture, and there's enough time left to get it done properly.
Diablosblizz
I still think that the one located here (although all images are gone) still looks amazing!
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
I still think that the one located here (although all images are gone) still looks amazing!
I don't think everyone was in agreement with the design. I think the reason why there was not a change during the above deliberations, was that there had only been one design on offer, and people could not decide over it. During the course of the discussions there was a clear recommendation for having a contest, so that there will initially be a number of designs that can be chosen from, and once decided, whichever one, two or three are the winning ones, can be commented on and further developed by a panel of experts. Having more than one design may make it also less personal and easier to manouvre. To have a panel of experts develop it would also be ideal, as although it would be great to vote on initial designs during the contest, once the design has been chosen, development is something that can only be tinkered with by experts.

Since we have already had a history of trying to change the design, it may be easier to provide specifications for the design and rules for the contest, if Bondings should decide to go for a contest.
Ghost Rider103
A new contest would be a good idea.

I'd definitely participate in it.
coreymanshack
I think it has been known for a while now, this board needs a new look.
LostOverThere
ocalhoun wrote:
A new homepage has supposedly been in the works for a long time... That would make a nice 1-million mark celebratory gesture, and there's enough time left to get it done properly.

Quoted for Truth. It's been a long time coming, and celebrating a new site design for the one millionth post would be fantastic.
Donutey
A new site design would be amazing. There's some guy in the General forum talking about he hasn't been to FriHost in more than three years and... it looks the same as before Rolling Eyes
Diablosblizz
deanhills wrote:
I don't think everyone was in agreement with the design. I think the reason why there was not a change during the above deliberations, was that there had only been one design on offer, and people could not decide over it. During the course of the discussions there was a clear recommendation for having a contest, so that there will initially be a number of designs that can be chosen from, and once decided, whichever one, two or three are the winning ones, can be commented on and further developed by a panel of experts. Having more than one design may make it also less personal and easier to manouvre. To have a panel of experts develop it would also be ideal, as although it would be great to vote on initial designs during the contest, once the design has been chosen, development is something that can only be tinkered with by experts.

Since we have already had a history of trying to change the design, it may be easier to provide specifications for the design and rules for the contest, if Bondings should decide to go for a contest.

I still think that no matter what it looks like we need a new style, with all due respect Bondings. I figure that not many people had a choice on the first one. I say let Bondings do what he thinks is best for his company, and we just go along with it. I feel that it isn't our choice, it's his.

Whatever goes for me.

EDIT: I think a quick reply would do as well, heck anything will do.
Hogwarts
Diablosblizz wrote:
EDIT: I think a quick reply would do as well, heck anything will do.

That suggestion has been rejected numerous times; not only because it would take time to do, but because it would also contribute to the abundance of one-liner and other essentially useless posts that needlessly appear across the board*.

(*pun deliberate, phpBB)
saratdear
I am all in for a redesign, because I believe one is overdue. 1 million posts is such a big thing that it calls for a celebration AND something better. (Think about it : Somebody leaving sometime before we hit 1 million, and coming back sometime after that, seeing all the celebration posts, and thinking "These guys STILL haven't changed their design? Rolling Eyes )