FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Darien Gap

tony
Has anyone heard of the Darien Gap? I was just reading about this place recently and found it interesting. Check out the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap). Here is an excerpt,

The Darién Gap is a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest separating Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America). It measures just over 160 km (99 mi) long and about 50 km (31 mi) wide. It is not possible to cross between South America and Central America by land without passing through the Darién Gap. Roadbuilding through this area is expensive, and the environmental toll is steep. Political consensus in favor of road construction has not emerged. There is no existing road connection through the Darién Gap connecting North/Central America with South America. It is therefore the missing link of the Pan-American Highway.
deanhills
tony wrote:
Has anyone heard of the Darien Gap? I was just reading about this place recently and found it interesting. Check out the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap). Here is an excerpt,

The Darién Gap is a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest separating Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America). It measures just over 160 km (99 mi) long and about 50 km (31 mi) wide. It is not possible to cross between South America and Central America by land without passing through the Darién Gap. Roadbuilding through this area is expensive, and the environmental toll is steep. Political consensus in favor of road construction has not emerged. There is no existing road connection through the Darién Gap connecting North/Central America with South America. It is therefore the missing link of the Pan-American Highway.
Think I saw something about it from the movie Prisonbreak. Must say that this area of the world is not on my list of places to see.