FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

spiceworks

menino
Has anyone here used Spiceworks Network Inventory and monitoring software?

I've started to use it, and its quite robust to monitor and inventorize your network.

More than that, its free. Laughing
coreymanshack
menino wrote:
Has anyone here used Spiceworks Network Inventory and monitoring software?

I've started to use it, and its quite robust to monitor and inventorize your network.

More than that, its free. Laughing

Are you an IT/Network Administrator?
This software seems like a pretty neat tool if you happen to manage a large network.
menino
yes, am a network admin.
I'm trying to monitor my network, using some good tools.

Spiceworks seems to be ok, but I think I need more from it.

I believe Microsoft's system centre operations manager does the job, but mainly for windows servers, and somehow, I found it cumbersome to use, and also my company doesnt want to pay for licenses.
Spiceworks also monitors linux systems.
Am also going to try out some other free monitoring tools as well.

Let me know if you come up across with any.
blueray
Could you share the link of this software ?
coreymanshack
blueray wrote:
Could you share the link of this software ?

Just google spiceworks...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spice+works
Phinx
Rather interesting. I'm not a network administrator, but this might help me sorth out my homenetwok, sincve i'm having problems with it. Just wondering how come this tools free...
menino
its @ www.spiceworks.com

Yes, I'm an I.T. admin.

Its pretty good software - helped me to realise that some servers were down, including Linux servers.
Its worth a try, but it might use up a bit of your network resources, but then which network monitoring software doesnt.
airh3ad
Thanks for this post it help me on my daily task.
welshsteve
I have just taken on the managing of a large IT network (around 150 users), with various printers, print servers, wireless and wireless access points, switches, plus 5 servers. I have been thinking of giving Spiceworks a try as I have briefly used it in the past and it's vast range of tools seem perfect for this job. There is a big cleanup of the system here required as it's been neglected somewhat for quite some time so as soon as I have things working and running as I want them, I will definitely be looking at using Spiceworks. I've heard that it needs to be run of a fairly beefy computer, is this right? Obviously it continually "sniffs" the network so I imagine would be heavy on PC resources?