You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who took it today?

I'm one of those kids who have been studying for months to prepare for this test. I think I did good, but probably not good enough for any national recognition. Sad
I had no idea this was still around! I remember taking it in middle school hehe. I hope you did well!!
What is PSATs?
I'm Norwegian, you see, so I have never heard of it. I tried to google it, though, but I don't think i got the right thing.
erlendhg wrote:
What is PSATs?
I'm Norwegian, you see, so I have never heard of it. I tried to google it, though, but I don't think i got the right thing.

I also dont know the word PSAT. And I am Dutch.
But congratz with the probable good result Cool
Oh, I'm sorry.
Didn't mean to be rude.
Congratulations also, of course Smile
I'm guessing this topic is going to be moved or locked. We do have an education forum Rolling Eyes but I dunno who comes to frihost to read about education or things like that. I once posted about scholarships in that forum (back when we had the old homepage), to no avail.

Ah well, congratulations on taking the PSATs - it'll do you good in the long run. Colleges look at those scores to see what students they should start to look at ahead of time. Then they bombard you with offers, and it makes it generally easier to get in if you get a better score (obviously). I don't know how well the PSAT prepares you for the SAT, but I'm guessing that it can't hurt. I took the ACT test awhile in lieu of the SAT - most colleges, yes, including ivy's will accept both or either. You merely place one set of scores on the application.

Anyways, good luck finishing high school and with your college career.

Prof Y.
I was also curious about what it meant, and so found the following in Wikipedia:
The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a standardized test administered by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) in the United States.

Approximately 3.5 million students take the PSAT/NMSQT each year. The scores from the PSAT/NMSQT are used (with the permission of the student) to determine eligibility and qualification for the National Merit Scholarship Program.

So it is a voluntary test for students who wish to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship Program.

Wikipedia gives the following info for the National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSQT):
The National Merit Scholarship Program is a United States academic scholarship competition for recognition and college scholarships administered by National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), a privately funded, not-for-profit organization. The program began in 1955. NMSC conducts two annual competitions for recognition and scholarships: the National Merit Scholarship Program, which is open to all students who meet entry requirements, and the National Achievement Scholarship Program in which only African-American students participate. Each year a total of approximately 10,500 scholarships are awarded through NMSC programs. The corporation's headquarters are located in Evanston, Illinois.

Of the 1.5 million entrants, about 50,000 qualify for recognition. More than two-thirds of those qualified receive Letters of Commendation; the remainder (nearly a third) become Semifinalists, about 94% of whom go on to become Finalists. Over half of the Finalists are selected to receive scholarships underwritten by corporations and business organizations, colleges and universities, and by NMSC with its own funds.

Would probably be important for University entrance as well. Maybe someone who has done the tests, and who has gone through the personal experience of earning a scholarship can explain better.
I took it on Saturday (the 17th). Didn't study at all for it. Very easy.
Arty wrote:
I think I did good

Lol. Smile Good is not an adverb.

I think a lot of people from advantaged backgrounds can get a perfect on the test without studying (e.g. HalfBloodPrince probably), it's just hard to focus and not make mistakes.

If you didn't enjoy a very good education / aren't too bright / have a tough time focusing, it might be hard. In general though I think most of the things on the test an 11th grader should be able to answer.

Here's a sample question I googled for the foreigners:

Formerly ---- as a "dumb blond," Marilyn Monroe is now ---- as having been an intelligent, sensitive woman.
(A) sensationalized ... romanticized
(B) sabotaged ... described
(C) denigrated ... lauded
(D) recognized ... remarked upon
(E) romanticized ... redeemed