FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Top Right Menu





coreymanshack
I'm looking for suggestions on how to make people see that the links in the top right, from the website in my signature, are actually menu items. I have noticed several people actually don't even realize this is a menu. Should I get rid of this menu altogether?
Any other tips?
Roald
You could make it clear by placing some very obvious buttons. But if you have already some other menus on you page, I would delete it, that works confusing.
coreymanshack
Roald wrote:
You could make it clear by placing some very obvious buttons. But if you have already some other menus on you page, I would delete it, that works confusing.


Alright I'll take that into consideration, but on the other pages that aren't 'index' pages it is the only way to navigate, so some solution to make it more clear to the user that this is an actual menu would be better.
Ghost Rider103
If you're going to do it that way, what's the point of having two navigations?

Why don't you just remove the one on the left all together, and then make your main navigation in the header? I don't really see the point in having two if both navigations contain all the same links, plus the one on the left looks a big cheezy in my opinion.

On the top navigation, to the right of each image, write where it goes (Home, Contact, etc.) that way they know it is indeed a link.

Just like the top right corner of this website: http://www.knrdesigns.com/designs/templates/iyc/index.html

Good luck with your website.
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
If you're going to do it that way, what's the point of having two navigations?

Why don't you just remove the one on the left all together, and then make your main navigation in the header? I don't really see the point in having two if both navigations contain all the same links, plus the one on the left looks a big cheezy in my opinion.

On the top navigation, to the right of each image, write where it goes (Home, Contact, etc.) that way they know it is indeed a link.

Just like the top right corner of this website: http://www.knrdesigns.com/designs/templates/iyc/index.html

Good luck with your website.


Thank you for your reply Ghost Rider103 I'll take it into consideration and see how it looks when I put the actual text up in the top right by the menu items.
Ghost Rider103
No problem.

Looking much better now. You should make the text color change when your cursor goes over it to clearly define it as a link.

I personally would put the box on the left to the right. That way your main content is on the left which is what users will first begin to read.
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
No problem.

Looking much better now. You should make the text color change when your cursor goes over it to clearly define it as a link.

I personally would put the box on the left to the right. That way your main content is on the left which is what users will first begin to read.


Yes, I do need to move that box over there, and should I make the color brighter or darker on mouseover?
Roald
That depends entirely on your lay out. Maybe you can give us a link to your site, so we can give our opinion.
coreymanshack
Roald wrote:
That depends entirely on your lay out. Maybe you can give us a link to your site, so we can give our opinion.


http://x3dev.com/

Link is in my signature, thank you for taking the time to look over it Smile
Roald
I think that the menu on your front page is obvious enough, but you should let it stay the same on the other pages, not only the icons. And maybe it should be a little bigger. Overall I think you have a sober, clean and nice desing.
coreymanshack
Roald wrote:
I think that the menu on your front page is obvious enough, but you should let it stay the same on the other pages, not only the icons. And maybe it should be a little bigger. Overall I think you have a sober, clean and nice desing.


Yea I'll work on making it the same on all the other pages, thank you for your input roald.
Ghost Rider103
Looks much better. I still think you need to make the text change color when you roll over it so they know it's a link. A nice red would do nicely.

Like Roald said, you need to make it the same on every page to maintain consistency in the navigation.

Looking good though. Much better than before. It looks way cleaner this way.

Also, I would remake your tittle bars. They look a bit cheezy. Use a cleaner font when you do them as well. That graffiti looking font you used looks very unprofessional. The just need to look a bit more sleek in my opinion.

Good work!
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Looks much better. I still think you need to make the text change color when you roll over it so they know it's a link. A nice red would do nicely.

Like Roald said, you need to make it the same on every page to maintain consistency in the navigation.

Looking good though. Much better than before. It looks way cleaner this way.


Not only the menu, but the new body headers look great IMO. I've always been an amature web designer. I also increased the line height on most of my content, and spaced the margins more evenly on certain areas. I was thinking about shortening the about me, removing the picture, and placing it on the right under programming affiliates. What do you think about that? Also come to think of it, the red a:hover would look really nice, I'll implement that now.

Wow, that hover looks really good.

EDIT: I'm thinking about removing "X3Dev.com Corey Manshack's personal project page". from the header and just adding that to the first sentence under "Welcome".
Ghost Rider103
Yeah, much better with the hover.

Not sure if putting the about me would look good or not. If you remove the about me from where it is now, it's going to shorten your page a lot. Which isn't a bad thing. But then when you put it on the right, it might go way past your main content depending on how short you make it.

It should look better. Right now the columns are uneven. I think moving it to the right is a good idea and will help even them out.

I say go for it.
Related topics
Webmaster for FIH$
Age of Empires III
Firefox
www.Syrnia.com
[Java] Top-Down Menu bar tweak.
http://www.samisaada.frihost.net What you think?
How Do I Install Search Engine on Mozilla?
Runaway CSS Header - Need to find a way to scale it
mobile programmers codes
Frih points at top of page?
positioning div top right
Aggressive atheism
wonky superfish menu
Gmail alerts at you mobile phone by free unlimited sms
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Design Tips

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.