FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DNS Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2

coreymanshack
I don't understand exactly how these 'nameservers' work, Frihost has two name servers(the minimum amount allowed if you are going to have nameservers). Are these nameservers two different physical servers, or are they two software instances running on a single machine, do they both point to frihost's servers, like if the ns name is frih.net it points to frih.net server, if the ns name is frih.org, it points to frih.org server.
What I'm trying to get at, is, why would you want to have nameservers, instead of making everyone point their domain to the IP of your server.
mOrpheuS
coreymanshack wrote:
I don't understand exactly how these 'nameservers' work, Frihost has two name servers(the minimum amount allowed if you are going to have nameservers). Are these nameservers two different physical servers, or are they two software instances running on a single machine, do they both point to frihost's servers, like if the ns name is frih.net it points to frih.net server, if the ns name is frih.org, it points to frih.org server.

There is a two nameservers requirement to improve fault tolerance, however, in most average hosting environments, ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com are just two different FQDN's pointing to the same machine (and infact, the same instance of DNS server software) using two different IP addresses.
The same machine is also, usually, also hosting the http, mail, ftp etc.
More expensive/massive hosting environments may employ separate servers for each of the above.

coreymanshack wrote:
What I'm trying to get at, is, why would you want to have nameservers

Adding a subdomain involves adding the virtual host entry to http & DNS server configs.
Running our own nameservers allows our users to add subdomains etc. from one single point, as the DNS can be managed through cPanel/DirectAdmin.

coreymanshack wrote:
instead of making everyone point their domain to the IP of your server.

If you're not using FRIHost's nameservers, you're simply using different ones.
Domains can not work without nameservers.
coreymanshack
mOrpheuS wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

There is a two nameservers requirement to improve fault tolerance, however, in most average hosting environments, ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com are just two different FQDN's pointing to the same machine (and infact, the same instance of DNS server software) using two different IP addresses.
The same machine is also, usually, also hosting the http, mail, ftp etc.
More expensive/massive hosting environments may employ separate servers for each of the above.

coreymanshack wrote:
What I'm trying to get at, is, why would you want to have nameservers

Adding a subdomain involves adding the virtual host entry to http & DNS server configs.
Running our own nameservers allows our users to add subdomains etc. from one single point, as the DNS can be managed through cPanel/DirectAdmin.

coreymanshack wrote:
instead of making everyone point their domain to the IP of your server.

If you're not using FRIHost's nameservers, you're simply using different ones.
Domains can not work without nameservers.

Thank you m0rpheuS you answered my question Smile
One more question though. What DNS server software does frihost use?
mOrpheuS
coreymanshack wrote:
Thank you m0rpheuS you answered my question Smile
One more question though. What DNS server software does frihost use?

I haven't checked, but in all likeliness, like most cPanel/DirectAdmin based hosts, we're running The Berkeley Internet Name Domain Server aka BIND.