FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iTunes Music Library

Tony The Tiger
My Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV9000T is equipped with two 120 GB external hard drives. I use one as a system drive and one as the data drive. I keep my iTunes library on my data drive so that when the system crashes and my hard drive needs to be reformated or restored I don't lose any files. However, I seem to be unable to configure my iTunes so that my iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.xml files are on my data drive. Is there any way to configure iTunes to store these files on my data drive?
brokenadvice
It is not actually a big deal. As long as your music is stored on the external drive, you should still have the metadata. iTunes will add the data directly to the audio file any time you add a file to the library, so you won't loose anything other than some album art (which can be re-downloaded). If you crash, iTunes will be able to rebuild the XML file all by itself without you having to do anything. Back it up if you wish, but if a new version of iTunes comes out tomorrow, it probably won't like the XML file.
Tony The Tiger
brokenadvice wrote:
It is not actually a big deal. As long as your music is stored on the external drive, you should still have the metadata. iTunes will add the data directly to the audio file any time you add a file to the library, so you won't loose anything other than some album art (which can be re-downloaded). If you crash, iTunes will be able to rebuild the XML file all by itself without you having to do anything.

You are correct in some sense that nothing essential is lost if the music files are stored on my data drive. However, I lose all my playlists and my song count history everytime my system crashes. I would prefer not to have to recreate my playlists and lose my song counts.